PDA

View Full Version : newbie with q's

joseph trueman
04-21-2006, 4:03 PM
howdy all...

just got my wilton mini-lathe in a couple of days ago...got it all assembled and mounted...

1. know anywhere to get some good woodturning tools for cheap?

2. does anyone have experience with the elec motor on the lathe sometimes sounding like it's sputterring? (this only happens to me at lower rpms with no load...haven't loaded it yet.)

3. is there a jawed-chuck available for this model, or do you just have to use the included faceplates with brass screws for turning bowls and such? I figured all i'd have to do is find a chuck with the same box-threads as the included faceplate...it looks like 8 tpi...can anyone validate if this is a possiblity?

thanks in advance for the help, and salutations.

regards,

joe

Don Baer
04-21-2006, 4:20 PM
Joseph,
I went to the WMH tool group to see if they offered a manual for that lathe and they don't offer one so as for the threading my advice is to measure it to see if one of the inexpensive Griz chucks might fit. I believe the standard is a 1"x8 TPI.

As for inexpierance tools Harbor Freight has a set of 8 tools that will get you started. They are about $40. Also stop by your local Rockler or Woodcraft store and pick up an inexpensive "white" wheel for you bench grinder to keep em sharp. Hopefully you do have a bench griner don't you?

I hope this helps

joseph trueman
04-21-2006, 4:44 PM
Hopefully you do have a bench griner don't you?

I hope this helps

caught myself drooling over one at sears the other day...know if they sell the 'white' wheel?

thanks for the help...

regards,

joe

Don Baer
04-21-2006, 4:46 PM
The stock grey wheels are not what you need they are too course. I picked up the white one at Rocklers for less then $10.

Barry Stratton
04-21-2006, 5:06 PM
Hi Joe,

I'm pretty new at this myself. I bought a set of Harbor Freight HSS tools (about $35-40) and the cheap Grizzly chuck - (check their catalog - I think they come in a few different sizes) to use on my Jet mini. Can't answer your question on the motor issue, nver noticed it on my Jet.

I picked up a low speed Grinder and Wolverine sharpening jig from Woodcraft as well.

Everthing seems to be compatabile - chips and curlies are a flying when I hit "Go" as well as an ocasional chunk of wood.

Good luck and enjoy. Welcome to the Creek also!

Wally Wenzel
04-21-2006, 7:00 PM
I helped a friend set up his wilton a couple of months ago if it is the same lathe it has 3/4by 16 thread in the shaft and a #1 morse taper Wally

Bernie Weishapl
04-21-2006, 8:34 PM
If it is a 3/4" X 16 tpi or a 1" X 8 the apprentice chuck will fit it. It comes with both adaptors for those spindles. So if you upgrade later to one that has a 1" X 8 tpi you can still use the chuck. I got one and they run about $160 with 4 sets of jaws. I just got it and used it today. Works pretty slick and holds well.

joseph trueman
04-21-2006, 10:41 PM
hey guys...i'm at the hospital with my pregnant wife, watching her sleep. it's been a long day (but seemed shorter thanks to the wealth of knowledge I been getting here, today)...anyway, I don't know the thread gage, but in passing it looked standard; bruce, you around? do you have a rec on a chuck or know the tpi?

the wilton lathe is model # 99177

when a tool manufacturer states that its tools last 6 times longer than other woodturning tools, is that true? just wondering b/c I read the "tool sharpening poll thread" and it would seem that a grinder should almost be purchased with the tools?

...i'm starting to know why some call this hobby "the abyss."

regards,

joe

John Kain
04-22-2006, 12:47 AM
I think it's pretty tough to beat some grizzly tools for the price now-a-days. They now have quality along with a great price.

John Hart
04-22-2006, 6:29 AM
...i'm starting to know why some call this hobby "the abyss."

It's also called the abyss because expecting fathers.....who should be fetching ice chips, calling relatives, pacing, and smoking cigarettes.... suddenly choose to research lathe accessories and turning techniques!:D

joseph trueman
04-22-2006, 7:25 AM
It's also called the abyss because expecting fathers.....who should be fetching ice chips, calling relatives, pacing, and smoking cigarettes.... suddenly choose to research lathe accessories and turning techniques!:D

anything to take my mind off her pain.

24 hours and still going....

regards,

joe

Vaughn McMillan
04-22-2006, 3:11 PM
Sounds like you've had a loooooong day, Joe. I hope that by the time you read this, congratulations will be in order. ;)

- Vaughn

Ernie Nyvall
04-22-2006, 9:16 PM
First of all, I think there is a huge congrats in order... Nice job on getting the lathe.:D
Really though, I hope everything is going well with the new baby coming.

About the sputtering... out of line pulleys can cause the belt to make this sound.

Ernie

joseph trueman
04-23-2006, 2:59 PM
First of all, I think there is a huge congrats in order... Nice job on getting the lathe.:D
Really though, I hope everything is going well with the new baby coming.

About the sputtering... out of line pulleys can cause the belt to make this sound.

Ernie

hey ernie and everyone else...

as of 9:09am on 4/22 my wife and I are proud parents of a 8lbs 6oz baby boy!

thanks for all the well wishes...

also, ernie...do you have any experience on realigning the pullies?

regards,

joe

Ernie Nyvall
04-23-2006, 3:39 PM
hey ernie and everyone else...

as of 9:09am on 4/22 my wife and I are proud parents of a 8lbs 6oz baby boy!

thanks for all the well wishes...

also, ernie...do you have any experience on realigning the pullies?

regards,

joe

Wow, congratulations to you and your wife!!!

On the pulleys you should first check the alignment of them. You can use a straight edge by placing it on the sides of the pulleys and see if they are exactly in line. If not a straight edge, and the lathe is level, then a plumb bob. If they aren't alligned, there should be set screws to loosen and slide the pulleys one way or the other.

Ernie

Corey Hallagan
04-23-2006, 4:52 PM
Congrats on the new baby! Hope all are doing well.

Corey

John Hart
04-23-2006, 5:52 PM
Congratulations Joe!!! New to SMC and New Father all at the same time. Cool!:)

Don Baer
04-25-2006, 12:16 AM
Joe congrats on being a new father. I think your gonna be kinda busy to do any turning for a ittle while...:rolleyes:

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
04-25-2006, 2:04 AM
Congrat Joeseph to you and your wife!!

GREAT news!

Cheers!

joseph trueman
04-27-2006, 7:29 PM
too busy, indeed...

thanks, once again to everyone for your kind words.

i've gotta update evryone on the wilton (it's not good news).

regards,

joe