PDA

View Full Version : Picnic table ideas?

Mike Priest
04-21-2006, 3:12 PM
I am looking for some good ideas on outdoor furniture, so if anyone has any good links for some nice furniture please share them. I am specifically planning on a picnic table, and maybe some Adirondack style chairs. I saw some "comfortable" Adirondack chairs posted a while back that would fit the bill nicely, but seem to remember that plans were not available for them. I googled a bit, but havn't found the right stuff yet.

What materials would be good for outdoor furniture that needs to last forever :) Anyone ever build any outdoor furniture with that artificial decking stuff? Kinda curious how it would work out.

As always thanks for the info

Joe Chritz
04-21-2006, 3:59 PM
Can't help on the plans right now but for the wood cedar is always a popular choice.

I am thinking about doing some benches out of Ipe or Purpleheart out around my pond.

I have built a couple decks with the composite material and it is great for walking on. I don't think I would care for it as a table surface, even for outdoor furniture.

I am curious to hear what others have used as well. After looking at Ipe for my front deck I think it would be great for outdoor furniture.

FYI, I cheaped out and used treated decking for my porch. :(

Joe

Rick Doyle
04-21-2006, 5:00 PM
I am looking for some good ideas on outdoor furniture, so if anyone has any good links for some nice furniture please share them. I am specifically planning on a picnic table, and maybe some Adirondack style chairs. As always thanks for the info

hi mike,

i've got a link to a page of outdoor plans on my website that includes adirondack chairs and a picnic table:

http://www.rickswoodworking.ca/outdoor_plans.htm

i hope this isn't against the 'rules', but i understand it is o.k. to post links in answer to a specific question. if not, my apologies! there are also some links to free plan sites on the plans page if you don't see anything you like there.

good luck.

Mark Rios
04-21-2006, 7:17 PM
The chairs that Gail made sure were nice. Wouldn't mind building those.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=29696

This is the thread but I can't get the pics to come up.

Ron Jones near Indy
04-21-2006, 7:20 PM
Some friends have chairs made from Norm's NYW plans. They seem very nice to me.

Howard Rosenberg
04-21-2006, 10:41 PM
Cedar.
Ipe.

Cedar's light, greys out nicely and is rot-resistant but it dents easily.

Ipe's great.
It weighs a TON.
Greys out to a really odd but striking silver.
It'll last forever.
But you've got to start with sharp bits and be prepared to sharpen planes and chisels regularly.

Last year I designed and assembled two eight-foot long benches.
This is the year of the matching table.

I used a Kreg-brand pocket hole jig and their proprietary screws.
Works like a champ - both benches are as solid this year as the day I finished them.

Contrary to what Kreg says, you've got to pre-drill the receiving hole in ipe because ipe is reeeeal hard.
There are a number of separate, simple steps to do if you're interested in using pocket hole joints on ipe.
I'd be happy to help if you're interested.

HTH
Howard

Dave Dionne
04-22-2006, 9:57 AM
and at least for the chairs White Oak is a great wood, it will weather to a silvery grey. Cypress is another chioce and both will last forever with a up keep. I love cedar but it is very hard for me to come by here in NH. Western Red is expensive