PDA

View Full Version : My shop

Jacob Snow
04-21-2006, 10:12 AM
Nothing uber fancy, just a shed out in th backyard that happened to be there when we bought the house. I actually took some pictures this morning before i went to work and so i thought i would throw them down. I hope no one thinks i am trying to be pretentious or anything, but here is a gallery (http://upload.pbase.com/lrdtalon/gallery/shop) of a few images i took this morning.

Jason Tuinstra
04-21-2006, 10:17 AM
Pretentious? We love pics! And what better to show off than a shop? Looks like a cozy place to hang out. Nothing wrong with that. How do you have it wired up in there?

Frank Pellow
04-21-2006, 10:20 AM
Hi Jacob, showing pictures at SMC is never considered to be pretentious. They are our lifeblood.

It looks like you are making good use of your limited space. Just how big is your "shed"? My guess is 8' by 16'.

Rick Doyle
04-21-2006, 10:21 AM
hi jacob,

thanks for posting those pictures - i always enjoy looking at other woodworker's workshops. i've posted mine on my website and i don't think there is anything pretentious about it all. looks like you have a nice spot there.

i live just across the juan de fuca straits from you - i noticed your workshop isn't insulated at all. although it doesn't get ice-cold freezing up here, it does get chilly - how do you heat it, or do you bother?

Jacob Snow
04-21-2006, 10:29 AM
The wiring is going to be my next big project. The previous owners used it just for storage, so right now i am working with a 15amp extension cord and some multi-plugs. It really sucks though cause before i can work i have to go out and get the cord, walk back to the house and plug it in, then go back out to the shop and work, then go get the cord when i am done, coil it up and stick it inside the door.

I have a brand new 30amp breaker (unfortunately i can't do a 40A/240V setup) in the house panel waiting for me to bring wire out to my shop. I just don't know how to do the wiring and stuff. Any suggestions on whether or not to put a subpanel outside in the shop or just have the breaker in the house? Any electrical input would be great since i have no experience with that.

Mark Pruitt
04-21-2006, 10:50 AM
Great use of space!

If I could offer one comment about the TS sled: I think I would be inclined to paint a red line indicating the path of blade travel along the uncut portion of the sled. That might be overkill, since it's hard to miss the sight of a spinning sawblade, but I can't be too careful. Just a thought. I edited the picture and attached it to this post.

John Bush
04-21-2006, 11:09 AM
Hi Jacob, Looks like a good place to make dust. Did you find a place to mill out your stock?? I'm just ~~1 hour north and a short ferry ride if you need help. Good luck. JCB.

Michael Gibbons
04-21-2006, 12:34 PM
Tyler, this thread is for you.

Pete Harbin
04-21-2006, 1:21 PM
Thanks for the pictures Jacob. I always like to see how folks have set things up. Have fun, and be sure to get someone who's savvy with wiring to help you out.

Pete

lou sansone
04-22-2006, 6:47 AM
nice looking shop. thanks for sharing them with us
lou

Ian Barley
04-22-2006, 7:30 AM
Good looking shop - enjoy it and work safe. Thanks for posting the pics

Kent Fitzgerald
04-22-2006, 8:10 AM
I have a brand new 30amp breaker (unfortunately i can't do a 40A/240V setup) in the house panel waiting for me to bring wire out to my shop. I just don't know how to do the wiring and stuff. Any suggestions on whether or not to put a subpanel outside in the shop or just have the breaker in the house? Any electrical input would be great since i have no experience with that.

Jacob, I'm curious why you say you "can't" add more capacity. Out of breaker spaces? There are ways to address that.

Definitely go with a subpanel in the shop. You don't want to be jogging back to the house panel every time you need to disconnect or reset a circuit.

Greg Koch
04-22-2006, 8:39 AM
Nice cozy shop, Jacob. (I'm just across the Sound from you, in Redmond.) Ditto on the sub-panel. Looks like you have a nice selection of tools, and some projects going on, with the cut plywood in the pics.

Enjoy, and watch out for the dust! :D

Steve Clardy
04-22-2006, 9:29 AM
Nice shop Jacob