PDA

View Full Version : Eagle has landed.....

Steve Ash
04-21-2006, 8:05 AM
Or in this case the Oliver has landed. Was finally able to pick up my new/old lathe and get it back to my shop yesterday....dang that old iron is heavy. Also was lucky enough to pick up some cherry bowl blanks.

Thanks to a couple of friends in our woodworkers club for helping me find it, store it, and load it. Also thanks to a couple of creekers aiding me in my search for a lathe and answering numerous PM's.

Pete Jordan
04-21-2006, 8:08 AM
Congrats Steve!

I don't know what you are going to do with those flat boards unless you glue them up.

Pete

Ken Fitzgerald
04-21-2006, 8:08 AM
Steve........with your experience in restoring tractors...with the advice from your Dad........I'm sure you'll restore this thing to new condition! Enjoy it and turning as you pursue this new addiction and it is an addiction!

Pete Jordan
04-21-2006, 8:20 AM
Steve,

Do you know the spindle size on that monster?

John Miliunas
04-21-2006, 8:22 AM
Congrats, my friend!!! :D Now, the big question is, are you going to strip and squirt it first or you gonna' fire it up right away and make something round??? :confused: :D :cool:

Mark Cothren
04-21-2006, 8:26 AM
Congrats Steve! It looks great! Very nice score!

Steve Ash
04-21-2006, 8:27 AM
Pete, Curt Fuller also has one and he Pm'd me telling me it is a 1 1/8 x 8 spindle. I was at woodcraft yesterday to buy a Super nova chuck but they couldn't tell me for certain if I could get a bushing for it...so I'm leaning toward the Oneway Stronghold chuck.

John, as much as I want to restore it (and I will) I really want to start playing with it first. Probably when the newness wears off I'll strip it and squirt it. Heck Oliver is a tractor, maybe I can talk dad into restoring an old Oliver....heh heh.:cool:

tod evans
04-21-2006, 8:31 AM
american green! nice score steve!

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
04-21-2006, 8:39 AM
...........as much as I want to restore it (and I will) I really want to start playing with it first..........

I heard that, screw the paint job, get that new bowl gouge out and start making curlies :D

Looks Great Steve, I'm GREEN with envy!! :D:D

Jeff Horton
04-21-2006, 8:47 AM
Pete, Curt Fuller also has one and he Pm'd me telling me it is a 1 1/8 x 8 spindle. ....

Thats it, t he same as my J-Line. Let me suggest that you try an adapter before you buy the chuck. If you have somewhere local that will let you return one that is. A dealer on Woodnet worked with me and did that. Neither Nova adapter would work on my J-Line, so I ended up with the OneWay.

BTW, it take a couple of weeks to get the adapter from OneWay because of getting it across the border. Customs is s l o w ! ! !

Oh yea, there is often face plates for Olivers on Ebay. They sell reasonable I think. Was thinking about trying one for my lathe.

Now I have a question. Is the head/motor bolted in place? Or can it be moved down the bed?

Pete Jordan
04-21-2006, 8:48 AM
Pete, Curt Fuller also has one and he Pm'd me telling me it is a 1 1/8 x 8 spindle. I was at woodcraft yesterday to buy a Super nova chuck but they couldn't tell me for certain if I could get a bushing for it...so I'm leaning toward the Oneway Stronghold chuck.

John, as much as I want to restore it (and I will) I really want to start playing with it first. Probably when the newness wears off I'll strip it and squirt it. Heck Oliver is a tractor, maybe I can talk dad into restoring an old Oliver....heh heh.:cool:

I have the Stronghold and I love it.

I thought I had a faceplate for you but it won't fit.

Pete

John Hart
04-21-2006, 9:19 AM
Congratulations Steve! Oliver looks happy in his new home. I bet you are too.;) :)

Bernie Weishapl
04-21-2006, 9:29 AM
Congrats Steve. Looks like a nice machine. Can't wait to see the curlies fly.

Mike Ramsey
04-21-2006, 9:31 AM
Wow!! jealous, jealous, jealous, !! Congratulations on the beeuutiful
Iron!!

Keith Burns
04-21-2006, 9:32 AM
Great looking machine Steve ! Gotta' love the old iron. :) You might try woodchipshome.com for a super nova. I,m with you, play now, restore later.

Jim Ketron
04-21-2006, 10:11 AM
Congrats! Now go have some fun!

Andy Hoyt
04-21-2006, 10:20 AM
All right Steve!

You do realize that the bottom of the abyss is no closer today than it was a week or two ago.

Don Baer
04-21-2006, 12:02 PM
Congrats Steve, New paint ain't gonna make it run any better and pretty soon no one will be able to tell anyhow since it'll be covered in curlies. Go for it.

George Conklin
04-21-2006, 12:26 PM
Very nice gloat there, Steve. I can't wait to see what you are going to make with her. Have you given her a name yet?

Andy Hoyt
04-21-2006, 12:35 PM
.....Have you given her a name yet?

Given that it has Oliver DNA, I suggest Arnold Ziffel.

Dennis Peacock
04-21-2006, 2:33 PM
Way to go Steve!!!! Looks like it will be a good lathe. Heavy is good. :rolleyes: :D

Steve Ash
04-21-2006, 3:44 PM
Have you given her a name yet?

Ya'll name your lathes? :eek:

George Conklin
04-21-2006, 7:35 PM
Ya'll name your lathes? :eek:

Name my lathe? No. I cus at it quite a bit though:D .

I know some of the others here have names for theirs. In fact, I think there was a thread about what you name your lathe.

Ernie Nyvall
04-22-2006, 8:35 PM
Alright Steve!! Cingrats. Now fire it up.

Ernie