PDA

View Full Version : Curly Cherry Wine Cabinet (*Pics*)(Verbose)

Jason Tuinstra
04-21-2006, 3:13 AM
Here is a wine cabinet that I started the beginning of March. It's taken a lot longer than I wanted, but it's finished... for the most part. I have to spray it yet (it only has a coat of BLO right now) and I have to install the ball hinges.

The lumber: I found it laying in a stack and paid the normal $5 something a bf. I believe the door panels are from the same board as the top, but I cannot be sure. The front legs have the qs grain showing and were opened up/book-matched so that they would mirror each other. The side panels are mildly figured, but they lose out to the top.

The hardware: All the brass is from Horton's - the best hinges that you'll find IMHO. You'll pay for them, but they're outstanding!

The drawers: I dovetailed them using a Leigh D4. They have 1/2" bottoms, beveled to fit the 1/4" groove.

Wine Rack: I left them so that they can be removed if I want them out. I'm not sold on the setup yet. Time will tell. The space between them is meant for bigger bottles.

The wine tags: I made 20 of them out of curly maple. I haven't sprayed them yet, but I plan to use them to identify the hard to read bottles by using a dry erase marker. The year goes on the tab and the variety/brand goes on the bottom.

Diminished Wine Supply: Yea, I only have one bottle of White Zin to my shame :p I threw a couple empties in there for effect. I just got back from Chicago where my wife and I brought 19 bottles for our friends!!! I need to fill er' with some Cab and Zin in the next few days.

Thanks: Thanks to Gail for her help with the wine rack dimensions and everyone else who encouraged me not to hack up my other figured cherry for the back panels. What was I thinking? ;)

Thanks! Jason

Jason Tuinstra
04-21-2006, 3:15 AM
Yet more pics!!! When will it stop? :D :p

Dan Forman
04-21-2006, 4:12 AM
Oh boy, I get to be the first to say Drop Dead Gorgeous. Beautiful job, great selection of wood, lovely design. I like the fact that the curly wood was used for the panels, drawers, and top, with "calmer" stuff for the rails and stiles, gives the eye a place to rest, makes the curls stand out more by comparison.

Dan

Martin Shupe
04-21-2006, 5:18 AM
Simply fantastic, but I didn't even have to open the post to know it would be!

Congrats on another fine project!

tod evans
04-21-2006, 6:02 AM
nice work jason!

David Pettibone
04-21-2006, 6:10 AM
YOU DA SHAKER MAN JASON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is yet another fine example of your level of workmanship. Outstanding job Jason!!!!!!!!! Your work truly inspires me. Keep'em coming dude!

David

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
04-21-2006, 6:16 AM
Jason, that is unreal, what a nice job, you sure did yourself proud there, boy that is a family heirloom for sure.

I bet you did, but make sure you sign and date the fine piece of work, as I'm sure long after you are gone, that is going to be one valued piece of work.

Super duper!

As a purveyor of fine wine, I can tell you, that I'd be more than proud to have my bottles of Romanee Conti, Opus One, and Mouton Rothschild residing in there!

Super!!

Dave Richards
04-21-2006, 6:21 AM
Janson, that is just a lovely piece. Thanks for sharing it.

Karl Laustrup
04-21-2006, 6:22 AM
As I have come to expect from you Jason, SIMPLY FANTASTIC, and yet I'm still in awe of your talent.

Karl

Michael Stafford
04-21-2006, 6:37 AM
That sure did turn out beautifully. Gotta love figured cherry and you gotta love fine craftmanship both of which are abundant in this piece of work.:D

lou sansone
04-21-2006, 6:55 AM
the piece looks really pretty good. I normally don't like curly cherry pieces, but you have managed to make all the various elements of design and the figure of the wood work very well. How did you go about photographing the piece? the photos really are very good.

Lou

Frank Chaffee
04-21-2006, 7:31 AM
Jason,
Wonderful wood, masterfully worked!
Frank

Guy Germaine
04-21-2006, 7:38 AM
That's just plain UGLY! Send it to me immediately, and I'll see to it that it never gets seen in public again.:D

Gorgeous work. I love it!

Mark Pruitt
04-21-2006, 7:39 AM
Beautiful wine cabinet, Jason.......and it occurred to me that if one were to consume enough of its contents, the cherry might appear even more curly!:D :p

Ralph Okonieski
04-21-2006, 7:41 AM
To use the vernacular of the younger generation, AWESOME!

Is there an opening or slot on the sides or is it a shadow in the pics? It looks like slots to me. They are a very attractive design feature.

Well done!

Ken Fitzgerald
04-21-2006, 7:47 AM
Typical Tuinstra!............That's just like saying...Typical Rolls...........

Stunning wood and fantastic craftsmanship Jason!

Matt Meiser
04-21-2006, 8:00 AM
Very cool!

Sam Chambers
04-21-2006, 8:01 AM
Very, very nice, Jason. Just one thing...The next time you find one of those defective cherry boards, you should immediately send it to me for proper disposal.

Gary Herrmann
04-21-2006, 8:31 AM
Wow. Beautiful work, Jason. I'm going to see my wood connection tomorrow. Think I'll have to see if he has any curly cherry...

Garry Smith
04-21-2006, 8:32 AM
That's one nice piece Jason.

Jim Hinze
04-21-2006, 8:35 AM
Wow... what incredible figure...

Simply stunning piece of work!

Doyle Alley
04-21-2006, 8:35 AM
Absolutely beautiful. One question: Is there a functional purpose to the horizontal slats below the glasses or is it decorative. It looks like maybe it is intended as a place to store a cheese plate.

Simon Auchterlonie
04-21-2006, 9:03 AM
Jason, Thats just fantastic and something to be really pround of. Now, the big question is are you going to send it into the Fine Woodworking gallery?

Would it also be possible to ask a couple of questions?

Are the handles and pegs Ebony?
Is that a shadow gap in the panels on the doors or is it inlayed Ebony?
Would it also be possible for some roung dimentions?

Cheers and keep up the stunning work!

SimonA

Jason Tuinstra
04-21-2006, 9:22 AM
As a purveyor of fine wine, I can tell you, that I'd be more than proud to have my bottles of Romanee Conti, Opus One, and Mouton Rothschild residing in there!

And my cabinet would welcome your Romanee Conti, Opus One, and Mouton Rothschild :p :D Thanks for the kind words.

Pete Harbin
04-21-2006, 9:24 AM
Another stunner Jason! Fantastic work. You have really captured the Shaker style and some amazing wood for your pieces. Just wonderful.
I actually have a Jason folder in my collection of clippings I keep for inspiration...consider this one clipped!

Pete

Bruce Page
04-21-2006, 9:27 AM
Jason, I get excited every time I see one of your posts, especially if there’s a paper clip with it! I know I’m about to see something beautiful, you never let me down!

Jason Tuinstra
04-21-2006, 9:27 AM
How did you go about photographing the piece?

Lou, thanks. I just set up my regular old halogen utility lights and a couple spots my wife has for the living room and shot the photos. I did a couple sharpening and blurring effects in Photoshop but that's it.

Jason Tuinstra
04-21-2006, 9:33 AM
Is there an opening or slot on the sides or is it a shadow in the pics?

Ralph, thanks! The panels were routed using a bit from Lee Valley designed by Christian Becksvoort. The lighting casts a shadow on the profile of the panel.

scott kinninger
04-21-2006, 9:35 AM
Yes, that is a very beautiful piece of furniture, and one that will be treasured for generations.

Jason Tuinstra
04-21-2006, 9:39 AM
Doyle: Yea, the extra slats are for storing misc items that might fit in the spot. I was wanting to make some appetizer plates with wine glass holds.

Simon: The dimensions are: 43 1/2" x 20 1/4" x 34" high. Without the top it's 36 3/4 x 17 1/4. The pegs and pulls are walnut.

Kent Parker
04-21-2006, 9:41 AM
Always enjoy your work Jason, you definitely have the touch!

Just curious....where do the magnums go???:D

Cheers from the Napa Valley.

Kent

Jim Becker
04-21-2006, 9:44 AM
Ya know, Jason, your work is making an essentially non-religious person have a religious experience! You truly have a gift for expressing the beauty of the wood in your incredible work. Thanks for sharing...and I hope you'll submit this one to FW, too...it's worthy. Big time.

Byron Trantham
04-21-2006, 9:52 AM
Well Jason, you obviously weren't sampling the vino when you designed and built that piece!:D Beautiful work.

Chad Pater
04-21-2006, 9:55 AM
When I saw 33 responses I thought I had missed this post from a few days a go...after seeing your pictures I'm not surprised at all the great resposes already. Beautiful work once again.
Chad

Lars Thomas
04-21-2006, 10:32 AM
Jason, that is abeautiful piece of work!!

Jacob Snow
04-21-2006, 10:34 AM
Do you happen to have the plans for that thing? My wife would love it if i actually started making useful stuff with shop :)

Mike Waddell
04-21-2006, 10:42 AM
Jason -

Fan-freakin'-tastic. The figure on the top is "blow me away" nice. I have wanted to build a cabinet like yours for a while, and you have inspired me.

Wow! REALLY nice work.

Mike

Donnie Raines
04-21-2006, 10:45 AM
WOW!!!...now THAt is some fancy cherry. Excellant work Jason.

Josh Goldsmith
04-21-2006, 10:47 AM
Jason just like everyone else said "BEAUTIFUL"!!!!!! That furniture piece is perfect but i don't think anyone complemented you on your pictures. The pictures are very professional. I wish i can take pics like that. Good job. Next time i go up to Tachi palace to gamble maybe i can come by and see your shop. Do you do woodworking for a living or just a hobby? Talk to you later. Josh

Jason Tuinstra
04-21-2006, 10:50 AM
Do you happen to have the plans for that thing? My wife would love it if i actually started making useful stuff with shop :)

Jacob, sorry, no plans. I have some CAD files that I drew up for design purposes, but that's about it.

Jason Tuinstra
04-21-2006, 10:56 AM
Josh, thanks! Feel free to stop by any time. I woodwork as a hobby so the "shop tour" will involve opening up the garage and backing out the van :p Do try and come when it's 110 outside for the full effect :D

John Gregory
04-21-2006, 11:06 AM
beautiful work.

Shelley Bolster
04-21-2006, 11:21 AM
I have been trying to come up with something unique to say about this absolutely stunning piece Jason but think the guys have it pretty much covered. I will borrow from Ken Fitzgerald's post.

Typical Tuinstra!............

We have all come to expect nothing short but 100% from you Jason....you really keep the standards high here at SMC with each and everyone of your pieces!

Martin Lutz
04-21-2006, 11:35 AM
WOW! Beautiful ! The cherry is beautiful and the craftsmanship outstanding! thanks for sharing, your work inspires me.

Mark Valsi
04-21-2006, 11:47 AM
I'd give you an A++++++++++

and a scholarship to harvard !!

John Timberlake
04-21-2006, 11:53 AM
I love the way the curly cherry top and panels accent the piece with the plainer grain of the rails and stiles. Great design and execution. And a very nice finish so far.

Jerry Ingraham
04-21-2006, 11:58 AM
Jason,
Just another piece of the caliber we have come to expect of you! I'm sure I speak for most all of us, in that we are green with envy at your talent. Keep it coming!

Vaughn McMillan
04-21-2006, 12:17 PM
Once again, Jason wins. :) Beautiful work Jason, as we've come to expect. Great balance between the curly stuff and the straighter grained material.

My only critique is the subject line in your post. Verbose? Have you not seen any of my posts? ;)

Very well done on the wine cabinet.

- Vaughn

Dan Stuewe
04-21-2006, 12:35 PM
I'm not even going to bother with the "gloat" I was thinking about making of the curly cherry I found yesterday at the lumber yard, 'cause that stick of wood wasn't lucky enough to find a home that could do something like this with it.

Oh well, we'll always have our friends at Sawmill Creek to show us the beautiful things that can be done with wood.

Jason, thanks for the gift of showing us your art.

Don Baer
04-21-2006, 1:18 PM
Jason,
I was up in your neck of the woods this week and thought about PMing you to see about setting up a creeker visit, now I wish I had. I'd realy like to see this and some of your other work in person. But the schedule was a little tight so I didn't. Now I wish I had. Another outstanding piece of work. Next time I'm up your way I'll let you know.

Jason Tuinstra
04-21-2006, 1:25 PM
Don, sounds good. I'll make sure we have the cabinet filled and waiting :D

Gail O'Rourke
04-21-2006, 2:11 PM
Jason! This is the perfect cabinet....really perfect. Wine cabinets are a favorite of mine, but I would be so mesmerized with the top of this piece that I would stand there and slap anyone's hand who was going to put a glass down on it. The wood is gorgeous. The dimensions are nicely proportioned.

Elegant design and execution. Whenever I am out your way, I will be sure to stop by for a glass of wine.

Mike Hollingsworth
04-21-2006, 2:16 PM
not only a beutiful piece, but what great photography!

mjh

Keel McDonald
04-21-2006, 2:31 PM
Terrific Jason! I love the way the knobs contrast so nicely against the wood.

Tim Armstrong
04-21-2006, 3:03 PM
What a fantastic piece - I love the style of it and you did a fantastic job with it. Thanks for so many detailed pics! I even like the little hanging wine tags. Did you shape the profile in a long block and then slice on the band saw? Nice.

Brad Schmid
04-21-2006, 3:16 PM
Wow man, that's awesome! Just like everything else you show us:cool: I'd love to be pullin' a Shiraz out of that at my house:D
I can't say anything else that hasn't already been said;)

Jerry Strojny
04-21-2006, 3:27 PM
I can do nothing but repeat everyone else.....Absolutely outstanding!!!:D

I saw in an earlier post that you used autocad on this project. I use autocad every day for work. Do you normally use cad to rough out ideas first? And then go to town in the workshop? I just love the contrast of straight and curly grains. And as many have said, great photos. I can't wait to see what you work on next.

Richard Wolf
04-21-2006, 3:48 PM
Very well done.

Richard

Jay Knoll
04-21-2006, 3:49 PM
Jason

Words can't express......... another fantastic piece. Super job thanks for the post.

Jay

Larry Fox
04-21-2006, 4:34 PM
Extraordinary piece of work Jason!!

Chris Daigh
04-21-2006, 5:23 PM
Excellent job on design and I really like the interior. I know it won't be seen much but very cool. The top has just incredible figure.

Dana Nurmela
04-21-2006, 6:58 PM
The whole piece is absolutely stunning. The top is...speechless..:eek:

Dennis Peacock
04-21-2006, 7:01 PM
Very well done Jason....another beautiful piece that you have wonderfully crafted. :D

Todd Davidson
04-21-2006, 7:45 PM
Bravo!!!!!

Jason Morgan
04-21-2006, 8:03 PM
Another great piece! Man I wish I had your skills. And you pulled it off in a month and a half? Ive been working on my hack-job router table for just as long and its nothing like that.

Great job!

Corvin Alstot
04-21-2006, 10:09 PM
Jason/
Another masterpiece! You keep improving your skills with each piece, making them more
complex and challenging. I am surprised your curly cherry was so inexpensive; we do not
find deals like that in Houston.

Do you use much hand work and hand planes in the construction?<O:p</O:p
Maybe I missed it in your description, but do you make your own walnut pulls
on a lathe or what is your source?<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p

Do try and come when it's 110 outside for the full effect. We get that kind of temperature too in Texas</ST1:p!
<O:p
Best Regards,<O:p</O:p
Corvin <O:p</O:p

Bryan Somers
04-21-2006, 10:14 PM
What everyone else said. WOW.

Most excellent.

Jim Dunn
04-21-2006, 10:52 PM
Me too WOWOWOWO. Just beautiful!

Darren Brown
04-22-2006, 1:25 AM
Jason,

Thanks a lot! I just threw out all of my woodworking tools in disgust. :mad: Seriously, this is your best piece yet. You've really developed a fantastic style. Me thinks I'll steal it and claim it as my own. Keep it up.

Darren

Brad Knabel
04-22-2006, 12:42 PM
There is no shortage of beautiful work on SMC. This is among the best I've seen. Very nicely done.

Marty Baucom
04-22-2006, 2:26 PM
All I can say is UNBELIEVABLE. I can only aspire to be 1/10 good enough to produce anything like this cabinet. Amazing!!!!!

Jason Tuinstra
04-24-2006, 3:15 PM
Everyone: Thanks for the kind comments!!! You guys are very generous.

Tim: Yea, that would have been the smart way of doing it. I cut thin strips and used the performax to clean them up. Then I cut each one out on the bandsaw. They still need to be final sanded. I'm thinking about paying the kids to do it. I'm tired of sanding right now. :p

Jerry: I use CAD to draw out most of my projects and make sure everything looks right and get the rough dim. from them. They're not real detailed, but it has worked for me quite well. I found a free program online, so the investment was just my time in learning how to do it.

Corvin: I used a few handplanes on the top and the panels to finish them up a bit. I just bought a LN dovetail saw and plan on learning how to cut dovetails by hand. This is an area where I need to start pushing myself a bit more. I was going to do handcuts on this piece, but I didn't want to blow it. The walnut pulls were purchased from niceknobs.com

Roger Los
04-24-2006, 3:47 PM
Wonderful and inspiring!

Jerry Olexa
04-24-2006, 4:27 PM
Jason, as always, dependably outstanding work. you are a pro!! beautiful work!! Celebrate w a nice 95 Cabernet..

Roy Wall
04-24-2006, 8:29 PM
Jason -

Precision joints, clean lines, beautiful wood and finish!!!

As good as it can get!!

Period.

Questions:

1) Are the wine holding slats angled down slightly?
2) How thick is the top?
3) The panels look like they are inset about an 1/8" and also have a 8th gap all around the rails/stiles......
Can you describe your method for making these? Is this a "more modern" Shaker look on the panels...or have they always been styled like this?

Again - just A TERRIFIC PIECE!