PDA

View Full Version : This Pen's for you, Stu!

Curtis O. Seebeck
04-21-2006, 12:08 AM
I lift my pen in a "toast" you, Stu, for your kindness and generosity! I received my little surprise this evening when I got home and was really excited to try one of the blanks out. Afterall, I have never turned any wood from Japan! Here is my tribute to you, Mr. Ablett!

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a340/MesquiteMan/BlueKeyoke.jpg

This one is from the Blue Keyaki and is beautiful! Is this by any chance in the oak family? It has a lot of similarities with our Texas Live Oak but is prettier! Naturally the photo does not do the wood justice at all.

This is, of course, a cigar pen in Chrome sanded to 12k MM with an epoxy friction finish. It was then buffed with my Beal system.

Stu, I have made a lot of cigar pens and have given them all away but this one will stay with me forever! This is the first time anyone has given me a "pen". Thanks a bunch, man. Your generosity is really cool!

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
04-21-2006, 12:24 AM
Goodness, that looks really nice!! :D

I think the Keyaki is in the Elm family, but I'm not sure.

I love them Cigar pens, I got to turn some of them myself when I get the stuff to do it.

I'm really glad that you like the blanks.

Enjoy!

Barry Stratton
04-21-2006, 2:05 AM
That is beautiful, Curtis. No problem turning this stuff "damp"?

Curtis O. Seebeck
04-21-2006, 2:34 AM
I nuked the blank in the microwave and then turned it. Should not be a problem, at least I hope! I just could not wait. I guess time will tell.

John Hart
04-21-2006, 6:36 AM
Beautiful Pen Curtis! I'm going to try this weekend. Probably nuke it too. I've had pretty good luck with that on pen blanks. Earl Reid did the same thing and they turned out nice.

Nicely done. These Stu Bombs are going to be a treasure.:)

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
04-21-2006, 7:11 AM
Nicely done. These Stu Bombs are going to be a treasure.:)

....and that is why I did it!!

I'm so happy that they are being well received!! :D

Bernie Weishapl
04-21-2006, 9:41 AM
Curtis the pen is stunning. I am going to try the nuke job this weekend also. I will treasure mine for sure.

Mike Ramsey
04-21-2006, 9:46 AM
Beautiful Pen! Stu worked so hard to get his wood cut and moved
to the Dungeon, then decides to give it away :eek: . Yep he's one
of the "Good Guys".