PDA

View Full Version : My first ... ummm.... well.... whatchamacallit bowl

Jeff Horton
04-21-2006, 12:05 AM
I have no idea what to call this. It was just a rough piece of black(?) locus I picked up for tool handles. Kept looking at it thinking I could do something with some of it besides handles. I had seen some of the cool crotch turnings and decided to try something similar.

While I am not really impressed with the bowl I am impressed it turned out this well for a first attempt. I learned a lot on this one, before i try it on a really good piece of wood. I see how to improve next time. Like turning the bottom contour to match the face, keeping the walls a consistent thickness. But, you got to start somewhere!

Looking the pictures and seeing what I should have done... I might have to try rechucking it and returning the bottom. I kind of hate to cut away the spalting though. The real shame is bottom, which you can't see is the best looking wood in the bowl! :o

Ken Fitzgerald
04-21-2006, 12:12 AM
Jeff........Nice first winged spalted locust crotch bowl!

I'd set that one on my shelf and display it proudly as my first attempt at such if I were you! Not too bad! It'll go better on each one from now on!

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
04-21-2006, 12:22 AM
Man, I'd just call it cool, or nice, or neat or wow! :D

Loverly!! ;)

Barry Stratton
04-21-2006, 1:25 AM
I think it looks great - and I'd be estatic if I turned something that came out 1/2 that nice! Display it with pride.

.....or send it to me and I will :D :D

John Hart
04-21-2006, 7:05 AM
Nice looking piece Jeff! That belongs on a coffee table or desk. Proudly displayed. I like it!!:)

Jeff Horton
04-21-2006, 7:49 AM
Man, when I went to bed last night (right after posting that) I was convinced I was going to rechuck it and redo the bottom of the bowl to match the contour of the top. Now you confused me!:eek:

Oh wait. LOML hasn't seen it yet.:D

Ken Fitzgerald
04-21-2006, 7:54 AM
While you may think the form is lacking.....the form fits and displays the beautiful contrasting grains..IMHO:confused:

Bernie Weishapl
04-21-2006, 9:38 AM
Jeff that is a great looking bowl. Nice form and finish. Great work.

Mike Ramsey
04-21-2006, 9:42 AM
That is a horse of a different color! I don't think you have to worry about
it being copied....I would put it on the shelf, It's definitely a keeper.

David Fried
04-21-2006, 10:25 AM
Nice! I wouldn't worry about wall thickness or matching forms since with the wings no one can tell! Just don't tell them!! Great job.

Curt Fuller
04-21-2006, 11:15 PM
That's really a nice looking, unique bowl. I agree with everyone else, it's good as is. That nice smooth bowl in the middle of that whatchamacallit shape really looks good.

Ernie Nyvall
04-22-2006, 8:39 PM
Lokks god to me Jeff, just the way it is.

Ernie

Corey Hallagan
04-22-2006, 9:36 PM
That is pretty cool and a nice first bowl. Not the easiest kind of bowl to turn especially for your first!

Corey