PDA

View Full Version : Jointer Arrived

Corey Pionk
04-20-2006, 11:32 PM
Well my jointer finally arrived last thursday and I finally got the time to uncrate it today. And my thoughts were that it looked smaller in the pictures.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/Trigger3271/Jointer.jpg

I wiped off all the grease and applied a coat of CorrosionX and started on a coat of paste wax when I accidently hit one of the knives with my finger and sliced it wide open. Then I just stood there while I christened my new jointer with my blood. :eek: Well atleast I know now that the knives are sharp. I also checked for table flatness with my 48" starrett straight edge and came up with .005 across the length on the infeed and .004 on the length of the outfeed. I called up Oliver and asked for there flatness tolerances and they said below .2mm on a Jointer. I feel for a 2 thousand dollar machine the results I got should be better. Also the fit and finish is alright and it has that rough industrial look and feel to it and could be a tad better. I'm awaiting the mobile base so it sits on the pallet it came with until then. I will not have a chance to power it up till next week when I get the shop wiring finished. I still have to dig a 150' long by 2' deep trench to bury the 2/0 RUD cable to feed my subpanel.

So what do you guys think for the flatness of the tables, since I've read the new Fine Woodworking and they said tolerances should be around .002 and under and it has me worried. Also how many thousands is .2mm I'm no good at math.

Jerry White
04-20-2006, 11:43 PM
Corey,

It looks impressive. Hope you get good results from it.

If I am working correctly tonight, my calculator says that 0.2 mm = 0.007874 inches.

Good luck!

Ted Jay
04-20-2006, 11:48 PM
0.2 millimeter = 0.007874016 inch
(Didn't see your post Jerry)

Larry Fox
04-20-2006, 11:50 PM
Can't help much with the table flatness question but I can help with the conversion. There is a neat little feature of google.com which allows you to do almost any conversion that makes sense. Go to google and in the search box type ".2mm in inches" (without the quotes).

BTW:
Jerry is correct, 0.2 mm = 0.007874 inches.

Mark Rios
04-21-2006, 12:00 AM
HOLD IT.....HOLD IT........HOLD IT!!!!

You mean to tell us that you waited A WEEK to uncrate it? You let a two thousand dollar machine just sit in your garage? What the pacheebies is wrong with you?

Congrats on the new Oliver but my feelings are a little hurt for the machine; poor thing had to sit in it's crate FOR A WEEK!!! I think I saw a website ad for mistreated WW tool therapy.

No wonder it bit you.

:D

Bruce Benjamin
04-21-2006, 12:12 AM
I have an 8" jointer from them. But getting it was a bit of a
chore. First they sent me a 6" but the paperwork was for the
8". They just stuck the wrong label on the wrong box I guess.
I spoke to the manager and they sent me out the correct jointer
and sent a call tag for Fed X to pick up the first one. Fortunately
I had only taken the base out of the box and left the crate sealed.
It was still a pain to have to box it back up and use up most of a
roll of duct tape since I didn't have a strapping machine. That
and having to wait around part of two more days waiting for the
pick up and delivery trucks. But they were very good about it and
sent me an extra set of knives for my trouble. But the new one
had a slightly bent base. I really didn't want to hassle with returning
it so I used a jack and straightened it myself. But then...The fence
was bowed and twisted. I could've lived with the bow but the twist
wouldn't allow for accurate edge jointing. Called them again and
they sent me another fence. Great! It's just different enough that
I had to redrill the center hole and the webbing was a little different
so the other two bolts just barely had enough room to clear the
jam nuts. Oh, and it's a slightly different color. I ended up painting
it black since finding the right color paint would've been impossible
and I knew from a previous request that the proper color paint is
on, "Back order". So anyway...While they screwed up a few times
at least they were friendly and tried to make it right. If you really
want to return your jointer they might take it back but it is within
their "Acceptable Tolerances". I'd just give it a try and see how it
works. Mine is flatter than yours but just barely. It works so well
that the trouble I had to go through wasn't too bad. The cuts are
actually shiny! Good luck.

Bruce

Mike Goetzke
04-21-2006, 9:35 AM
Your flatness seems fine - what is the tolerance on your Starrett?

Mike

Jim Becker
04-21-2006, 9:49 AM
Congratulations on the new jointer, Corey! It's a beauty...and apparently is ready to "cut", although I recommend wood rather than flesh! :)

Frank Pellow
04-21-2006, 10:06 AM
Congratualtions Corey! From the picture, the machine looks good (hey, it looks better than good-very classy looking :) ) . The table tolerance seems OK to me.

What, you cut yourself already? :( You better really watch it once the machine gets hooked up to the electricity.

Gary Keedwell
04-21-2006, 10:15 AM
Your flatness seems fine - what is the tolerance on your Starrett?

Mike

I have that Starrett 4' straight edge, and I think the tolerance is within tenth's of one thousand. That's why you pay the big bucks for it.

Gary K.