PDA

View Full Version : What do you turn and more importantly, what do you turn it on?

Jason Morgan
04-20-2006, 11:14 PM
I am interested in knowing what you all are turning on and the types of things that you turn. Im still trying to decide how to get into this end of woodworking.

Thanks for any and all replies.

Jim Ketron
04-20-2006, 11:39 PM
I have 2 lathes my starter and still use it some Jet Mini and my primary lathe the PM 3520.
I turn lots of stuff here are a few:
Bowls
Natural Edge bowls
Natural Edge Winged Bowls
Platters
Hollow Forms
Pens
Goblets

Jeff Horton
04-20-2006, 11:41 PM
Umm, a chance to show off? :D Well I don't have much to show off as for turning but I am proud of my lathe. I searched out an old J-Line/Broadhead Garret lathe. Around 550-600 lbs of cast iron stability. 3 phase motor so I could add the Variable Frequency Drive (gives me variable speed). It has a 12" swing but also has outboard turning capabilities. I saw a similar lathe were the fellow had designed and built an outboard stand and I knew this was the lathe for me.

http://www.kudzupatch.com/woodshop/turnings/lathe1.jpg

I do some spindle work, love turning CHRISTmas ornaments but primarily I am a bowl turner. Here is one of my favorites.

http://www.kudzupatch.com/woodshop/turnings/spalted_walnut1.jpg

Ken Fitzgerald
04-20-2006, 11:52 PM
Jason.......I got pushed into turning about 8 weeks ago. I have a Jet VS Mini........So far I've turned a couple of bonkers, spindles, goblets, boxes and a couple of bowls. I've enjoyed turning them all and have become addicted!

Dennis Peacock
04-21-2006, 12:00 AM
I have a PM 3520A lathe and I turn bowls, platters, pens, and goblets. I'm fixing to start turning hollow forms.

Curtis O. Seebeck
04-21-2006, 12:40 AM
I have a Nova DVR and turn a lot of pens and hollowforms. I am on a vase kick right now, including useable vases with PVC inserts so they will hold water. I also like doing the ocasional bowl out of really unique pieces, the more voids and defects, the better. I turn something just about every day, even if it is just a pen.

Mark Cothren
04-21-2006, 12:47 AM
PM3520A for me... bowls, platters, boxes, HFs, candlesticks and firewood....:D

Barry Stratton
04-21-2006, 1:28 AM
I'm another rookie with a Jet mini VS. I turn mostly mulch, some shrapnel, and a lot of kindling along with the occasional semi-decent pen, bottlestopper, goblet, bonker, and bowl shaped thingies.......

tod evans
04-21-2006, 6:47 AM
jason, i turn on a minimax t-124, mostly furniture componants, occasionally stair parts. for me it`s work not pleasure, if i live to be old enough to retire i`ll probably get the big white monster to play with..02 tod

John Hart
04-21-2006, 6:47 AM
I use a Craftsman PWM-driven VS, 15" 2HP lathe and turn whatever suits me at the moment. My favorite is vases and other hollowforms, but I also do pens, bowls, platters, handles, doohickies.....and 4 to 5 tons of mulch and firewood. (You're not alone Barry;) )

Mark Patoka
04-21-2006, 7:37 AM
I use a Jet Mini and have successfully turned a bunch of Freedom Pens, a few bowls and a baby rattle.

I still have a few more Freedom Pen kits to turn and a stack of wood just waiting to give up a few bowl blanks.

Andy Hoyt
04-21-2006, 8:08 AM
I'm running on White Iron and pretty much exclusively turn only wood.

John Hart
04-21-2006, 8:11 AM
I'm running on White Iron and pretty much exclusively turn only wood.

You turn wood???!!:eek: You are such a rebel.:p

Andy Hoyt
04-21-2006, 8:14 AM
Watch out, John. I've also been known to turn heads:D:cool::eek:

Ken Fitzgerald
04-21-2006, 8:16 AM
This is Ken in Idaho just shaking his head.....(that's a repetitive partial turning of a head):D

Mike Ramsey
04-21-2006, 9:33 AM
Craftsman 15" VS, mostly bowls & bonkers!

Bernie Weishapl
04-21-2006, 9:33 AM
Jason I have 2 lathes. I have a Delta LA200 midi and a Sears Pro 15" VS. I turn pens, bowls, goblets, platters, candlesticks and my favorite boxes.

Cecil Arnold
04-21-2006, 9:48 AM
I turn bowls mostly, but occasionally try boxes and HF all on mustard iron. I sure thought Andy would take credit for occasionally turning a phrase.

Dan Owen
04-21-2006, 9:51 AM
I haven't turned anything yet except a few bonkers on a friends old Boyce/Crane. My new Jet 1642EVS is sitting quietly in my shop waiting for the accessory pack that was lost when I bought the floor model last week. The lathe is unusable without it. I'm hoping it will show up today so I can get started this weekend, but I'm not getting my hopes up quite yet. Anyway, I've read every book I can get my hands on, studied Bill Grumbine's DVD, have more DVD's on the way and now it is time to start learning. My checklist is complete from what everyone on the forum has advised me and now I'm just waiting. Very hard to endure.
Anyway, I spotted a Chinese Elm falling yesterday on my way home from work and copped some nice logs. I know I owe you guys some pics, but I'm somewhat posting pics on my computer challenged and I'll try to work on that this weekend, unless the accessory pack arrives from Jet. You don't know how much I appreciate the advice and support I have received from this forum so far and you will be hearing from me again shortly.

Sincerely
Dan

Jim Becker
04-21-2006, 10:08 AM
I generally turn bowls and hollow vessels, although an occasional spindle gets in the mix, usually as a tool handle, special project or something in support of "flat work". I turn on a Stubby 750 which has 30" inboard capability with the bed pulled back, although I generally don't exceed the 16" nominal inboard swing with the bed in close...usually much smaller, frankly. The bed on the Stubby slides/rotates which makes it one of the most versatile machines available. While generally considered a short-bed lathe, I have no problem turning 30" spindles on the machine and have the advantage of being able to stand where I want to without interference while hollowing...something I couldn't do with many of the other popular "high end" lathes. I do plan on adding a Mini to the shop, especially if the girls show any interest in turning.

http://www.stubbylathe.com/images/StubbyFront_sm.gif

Brad Schmid
04-21-2006, 10:15 AM
I use a Jet 1642-2 and turn many different things like walking canes, pens, perfume atomizers, letter openers, tool handles, toy parts, furniture knobs, bowls, vases, etc. My favorite things to turn are hollow forms, large winged bowls, and large platters.

Chris Barton
04-21-2006, 10:19 AM
PM3520a and Jet VS mini. I turn just about anything you can think of.

Paul Douglass
04-21-2006, 10:26 AM
OK, I admitt it, I have a Harbor Feight, T 34796 (I think). I have turned a bottle stopper, plan to do more; a bonker, don't plan to do more but something I try to turn will probably become another bonker; 3 bowls and plan to turn more, 2 sprial candle holders, don't want to turn more, but getting a lot of pressure to. Plan on turning some pens, have kits .

I spend too much time reading this forum!! Should be turning!

Frank Fusco
04-21-2006, 11:03 AM
Grizzly G1067Z. Mostly small projects like pens, bottle stoppers, etc. I have done quite a few weed pots, tool handles, etc. My turning skills have not progressed much in past two years as, so far, I just haven't mastered bowl turning. My bow gouges catch instantly, need help. Friends have offered, just need to get around to taking advantage of their offers.

Reed Gray
04-21-2006, 11:16 AM
My first lathe was a little Atlas 4 speed. I worked it almost to death, and then stepped up to the PM3520A about six years ago. I will turn anything I can. Mostly bowls, both natural edge and utility, also boxes, tops, spheres, drawer pulls, hollow forms,tool handles, spurtles, basting brushes, yo-yo's, table legs, pen cups, a few odd spindles for antique repair, a nose cone for a rocket, a hemisphere for a concrete form, a few off center shapes, any excuse to turn. I figure that I have spent at least 5 times the cost of my lathe on 'accessories' and that seems to have slowed down a little, but shown no sign of stopping. I do need a bigger shop.
robo hippy

Don Baer
04-21-2006, 11:34 AM
I now have the Rikon Mini used to use a metal lathe but with that most everything I turned turned into frisbies and and handgranades. since getting the Rikon I have turned a gobblet, and a lot of test peices and am presently working on confetti lamp.

Ed Breen
04-21-2006, 12:08 PM
Jason,
I am a newbie to turning. I have a delta 1442 and turn mostly pens. I have turned open forms for LOML's glass collection and so far one handle for a P&N gouge. Love the work but am strapped for time. If I could onle put a lathe in my office!!!! Alas, it wont fly
Ed:(

George Conklin
04-21-2006, 12:20 PM
I turn on a DVR. I tried dancing naked in front of her, but I found out the switch on the left side worked better:eek: .

I started out a few years ago with a PSI. IMO a great little lathe. I turned pens on it. I stopped turning for about two years and then found this SMC:D . I saw all of the cool bowls and vessels people turned and wanted to give it a try so I bought a Jet mini vs. IMO another nice lathe, but mine didn't seen to have enough torque for larger pieces. So, now I use a DVR.

I turn mostly bowls. I've given a box a try and well,,, I need to keep trying:( .

John Hart
04-21-2006, 12:54 PM
I turn on a DVR. I tried dancing naked in front of her, but I found out the switch on the left side worked better:eek: ....

I hear a thong works pretty good.:)

Jason Morgan
04-21-2006, 1:34 PM
WOW,

didnt expect this to be such a popular thread. It really is great to hear how you are all working in the medium (?).

I have a question for the Craftsman 15" owners, what speeds with that do or is it truly vairable (0-?).

I see a lot of PM owners also. Sounds like most people that get serious with it end up there.

Thanks again for sharing!

Ed Lang
04-21-2006, 1:46 PM
I turn on a Jet mini and a Oneway 2436.

I turn anything I can get on the lathe.
http://kc4ylx.smugmug.com/photos/32189316-M.jpg

John Hart
04-21-2006, 1:55 PM
Uh...Ed....There's a little bit of dust on your tailstock there. You might wanna clean that off.;) :D

What a pretty sight.:)

Ed Lang
04-21-2006, 2:13 PM
Hi John,
That picture was taken back in the Fall when the lathe was new. I think that might have been the first item mounted on it. It looks like Mulberry and I think I remember getting a few cores out of that one!

After turning the Mulberry, the lathe now has a yellow tint to it!

Don Baer
04-21-2006, 2:17 PM
Hi John,
After turning the Mulberry, the lathe now has a yellow tint to it!

So your saying that your Mayo is turning to mustard.:eek: ..Andy will be horrified..:D

Andy Hoyt
04-21-2006, 2:25 PM
Nah. Not me.

My mayo has developed a charming multi-layered patina and a certain smoked hickory aroma reminiscent of a 1973 Kingsford merlot.

Jim Becker
04-21-2006, 2:38 PM
And an avatar for Ed...

Don Orr
04-21-2006, 2:43 PM
I have my starter Jet Mini which I love, the Craftsman Tube Rail I got to augment the mini(14 yrs old when I bought it but had never been used, included all kinds of tools, accessories, and a Craftsman bench), a second Jet Mini with bed extension, and my wonderful Jet 1642. I'll be bringing my FIL's 70 yr old Craftsman cast iron lathe home in a few weeks. He passed away in Dec 2005. I also have his turning tools and some of his turnings. He also has a small metal-cutting lathe that I will probably rescue as well. He was in interesting guy-could make or fix just about anything.
I turn all kinds of things, but haven't even scratched the surface of things I want to try. I enjoy turning bowls, but I turn a lot of things between centers as well. Boxes, tops, rattles, vases, a few hollow forms, handles, ornaments, and on and on. I am working on eccentric or multi-axis turning as it fascinates me to do it in a predictable manner.
Now if anybody can tell me where I can find some 30 hour days, I might just get some shop time:D ;) :eek:

John Hart
04-21-2006, 4:18 PM
I have a question for the Craftsman 15" owners, what speeds with that do or is it truly vairable (0-?).

Mine is a little different than the others, in that it is direct drive and uses a DC motor. When it was new, it had a speed range of 400-2500, but I changed the speed pots on the circuitry so now it's about 200-2300 or there abouts. 400 seemed a tad fast for large chunks of weird shaped stuff.

Jim Stoppleworth
04-21-2006, 4:32 PM
Pepper and salt mills, bowls, bottlestoppers, ornaments, various kits pens, etc., rolling pins, platters and probably a few more things I'm not remembering right now. Mostly things for family and friends. Bottlestoppers and mills for sale.

Do my turning on my still first lathe a HF34706. On the upgrade track for next winter to a PM3520B.

Jim

Carole Valentine
04-21-2006, 4:42 PM
I have a Jet Mini (my first lathe) and a Nova DVR. Primary interest is small hollow forms, but I also turn bowls, plates and goblets. Have been turning for a little over a year and am totally hooked. This is my latest piece - a Black Cherry vessel with an African Blackwood collar.

Bob Noles
04-21-2006, 4:47 PM
The system won't allow me to post duplication of pictures, so I'll just have to refer you to this thread for a peak at mine.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=33636

All this mayo and mustard is not worth salt without some catsup in there somewhere :p (Boy will I pay for this one)

I am still at the early stages of this "sport" and like to do pens and spindle work, but hope to mount a bowl blank on the little red rascal soon and see what kind of trouble I can get into :eek:

Steve Clardy
04-21-2006, 6:10 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=2910

3000# Hempel CH-12 copy lathe.
Also have a craftsman bench lathe for small stuff

Travis Stinson
04-21-2006, 6:23 PM
My main lathe is the PM 3520A, just got a Jet VS mini to go along with it. I'll try turning anything at least once, but I really enjoy hollow forms.

Bernie Weishapl
04-21-2006, 6:30 PM
[quote=Jason Morgan]WOW,

didnt expect this to be such a popular thread. It really is great to hear how you are all working in the medium (?).

Jason, yes it is truly a variable speed. It runs from about 380 rpm to 2000 rpm. I really like it. It will turn 15" inboard and 20" outboard. That is plenty big for me at this time.

Jason Morgan
04-21-2006, 7:43 PM
Bernie,

That seems like a pretty good deal for ~$500. Is anything about the lathe that you dont like or anything you have had to change? Sounds tempting.

Jeff Horton
04-21-2006, 8:02 PM
I'm fixing to start turning hollow forms.

Spoken like a true Son of the South! :D Does my eyes good to read proper Southern!

Bernie Weishapl
04-21-2006, 8:29 PM
Bernie,

That seems like a pretty good deal for ~$500. Is anything about the lathe that you dont like or anything you have had to change? Sounds tempting.

Nope. The only thing I have added is a new apprentice chuck and a 60 degree live center for the tailstock. I also got the outboard tool rest for turning bigger bowls outboard. When I bought it I got the 5 yr. warranty with it. If anything goes wrong they come to my house and fix it or once a year they come to the house and do maintenance on it. Mike Ramsey also has one and he is quite happy with his also. I have no complaints and am quite happy with it.

laurie sullivan
04-21-2006, 8:35 PM
delta midi. and i love it. i've been turning for 3 years. mostly pens now, but do special bowls, peppermills, bottle stoppers which end up beinging gifts.

laurie

Curt Fuller
04-21-2006, 9:32 PM
I'm now turning on a 1954 Oliver model 159. But I started with a Ridgid pipe bed that is a clone of the Craftsman pipe bed lathes. I turn small bowls, duck calls, pens, spatulas and other kitchen type utensils, and anything else that comes to mind.

Jim Davenport
04-21-2006, 9:34 PM
I've recently got reinspired into turning, mostly due to the motley crew here at the creek. They snuck up on me when I wasn't lookin.:eek:
I have the venerable old Shopsmith, and the New Rikon that I really love.
My present obsession is bowls. If I can keep the vortex from "transmutating them into stace-time continuum", and sending them accross the Magic garage. I'll be happy.

Jim Bell
04-21-2006, 9:50 PM
I turn on a PM3520A, Delta midi w/ bed extension and a Carba-tec v/s lathe. I turn pens, hollow forms,bowls, goblets and whole bunch of other stuff. I love to turn,
Jim:)

Bart Leetch
04-21-2006, 9:54 PM
I have a 1930's Delta Double Duty lathe & A Jet Mini lathe that I won in a drawing at our local wood working BBQ @ Sophie & Becky's place in Custer Washington last year. That was quite a surprise I would like to start turning a lot more I'll just have to get busy. As you can see the Jet Mini is set up to be portable. I have an idea for making a tool carrier to take my tools on the road that I'll share at a later date.

I think with the weather getting warmer I'll take the Jet Mini Lathe outside & do a little turning.

Jim Dunn
04-21-2006, 11:11 PM
Old Crftsman King-Seely 9" lathe. Mostly small bowls and boxes. The occasional BIG box of shavings too when the tool is sharp, the wood is green and the mood strikes me.

Jonathon Spafford
04-21-2006, 11:29 PM
I got a jet mini ... good little lathe and I have turned pens, boxes, spoons, honey dippers, among other things: right now I am addicted with turning magic wands!!!

Jonathon