PDA

View Full Version : It's Official!

Pete Harbin
04-20-2006, 8:03 PM
Hey fellow Creekers,

Yesterday, LOML and I went to court to finalize the adoption of our son, Ty. He's officially a Harbin now! God help him! :p

Here's a few photos with our attorney and with Judge Romero.

We couldn't be more thrilled to have this step behind us. It seems like only yesterday that we met this little man for the first time (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=26564) and every day since then has been a real joy. It's amazing to see all the changes that he's gone through in just five months.

Woo Hoo!

Pete

Doug Shepard
04-20-2006, 8:05 PM
Very Cool. He even looks like a future woodworker. Congratulations.

John Shuk
04-20-2006, 8:09 PM
Congrats! I'm adopted myself and I thank God there are people like you and my parents out there for kids who've needed you.

Andy Hoyt
04-20-2006, 8:15 PM
Looks like he'll grow up to be a fine defenseman.

Frank Guerin
04-20-2006, 8:15 PM
I won't even get into my personell reasons to say thankyou but remember it's a two way street. Everything you put into the little guy will be retured so much more. My respects.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-20-2006, 9:36 PM
Pete..........Congratulations to you, your spouse and your son! I have 2 children by adoption and one by birth. I can tell you from personal experience sweat and tears are thicker than blood! Congrats to recently enlarged Harbin family!

Tyler Howell
04-20-2006, 9:42 PM
That is so cool, Best to you all!

Frank Pellow
04-20-2006, 9:43 PM
Looks like he'll grow up to be a fine defenseman.
That was exactly my thought.

You have a fine looking family Pete. Congratulations!

Jim Becker
04-20-2006, 9:50 PM
Congratulations, Pete! As a recent adoptive parent myself, I know you are feeling some incredible joy right now!! And that young man is fortunate to to have you as a dad, too.

And thanks for your link to the original thread...I missed it as we were in Russia at the time literally on our way to pick up our girls for court. There are a number of adoptive parents here at SMC as well as folks who were adopted themselves. It's a wonderful thing!

Jim O'Dell
04-20-2006, 10:06 PM
Congrats to you, your wife and to Ty. Give him a big hug from all of us! Jim.

Jim Davenport
04-20-2006, 10:07 PM
That's a double gift from God. Loving and caring parents for the little man. And a beautiful little man to to love and cherish his parents.

Dave Ray
04-20-2006, 10:41 PM
Pete, thats the best "Gloat" I've read here since Jim Becker got his beautiful girls. The very best life has to offer is wished for you and your wife. Better get in the shop and build some things for that future woodworker. :) :) :)

Mark Rios
04-20-2006, 11:04 PM
Okay Pete, let me get this straight......

In the first picture: The guy in the vest is the judge? And the lady in the middle is the attorney? The guy in the blue shirt is who?....the bailiff? And the lady on the left is?......?......?...I give up. Okay, tell me. AAAAAHHHhhhhhh...I know.......the mailman!

:D :D :D :D :D

Congrats Pete. You and your family look great. All you adoptive parents are very special people.

Vaughn McMillan
04-21-2006, 12:52 AM
Bigtime congratulations, Pete. Good things happen to good people.

- Vaughn

Pete Harbin
04-21-2006, 1:03 AM
Thanks everyone! We're really enjoying our first adventure into parenthood. I'm so amazed by how many folks are touched by adoption, those who are adopted and those who have adopted. It's just great to hear everyone's stories.

Jim, I remember reading your posts around the time that Ty arrived. Isn't life just amazing? We are blessed fellows! Keep the updates coming on your girls.

It's a big adjustment, but we're fortunate enough to have LOML stay home and be a full time Mommy...definately where her heart is. :) She had Ty on a schedule and sleeping through the night by six weeks...I guess she's a pro right out of the gate! :D

Defenseman, wing, center, goalie...I'm ready for anything! He does have some big feet for a little guy, so maybe a defenseman or strong two-way center.

Goodnight friends!

Pete

Karl Laustrup
04-21-2006, 6:35 AM
Congratulations!!! The journey has begun. It's like a roller coaster ride. Ups, downs, twists, turns, but what a great ride. Enjoy!

Karl

Jerry Olexa
04-22-2006, 11:39 AM
Congratulations on your importsant event!!

Mark Rios
04-22-2006, 12:06 PM
I just heard on the radio this morning something that really made you folks who have adopted children all that much more special, to me anyway.

Some guy in Wisconsin was arrested for selling his 18 month child (I think the child was a girl). He said that he was going to use the $7000 he got for her to do some home remodeling.

I know very liitle about the adoption process but I've heard that it is a long and arduous process. To me, this process would weed out the people who were not really serious about the child and really show the love and devotion of those people who stuck it out and jumped through all the hoops, as you recent adoptive parents have.

This guy should be castrated so that he can't further his warped mentality on any more offspring.

Congrats and well done to all you adoptive parents!!!

Charles McKinley
04-22-2006, 12:24 PM
WOO HOO HOOOOOO!

Great news Pete!

Boy are you in for it now. (he he he ) My little man is almost two and keeps me on my toes, even more than his sisters.

He sure is a lucky little guy!

John Miliunas
04-22-2006, 1:58 PM
Pete, my most sincere wishes of the very best go out to you, your wife and Ty!!! :) Man, I swear that I can feel your joy right over the Internet as it enters my PC over here! :D Good luck to your whole family. You have been blessed! :) :cool:

Bryan Somers
04-22-2006, 2:45 PM
Way to go Pete! A big congratulations is in order and best wishes to your family. I do believe those who open thier homes and give of themselves are extra special.

Larry Klaaren
04-22-2006, 6:25 PM
Congratulations!!!

We've been there three times, for two kids . . . we legally adopted our daughter in both China and the US.

Go with the flow, I'm all about basketball 24/7, my son is all soccer, my daughter is all gymnastics. It's still good.

Larry

Jim Becker
04-22-2006, 10:06 PM
I know very liitle about the adoption process but I've heard that it is a long and arduous process. !
Yes, it is. And the worst part is you have nearly zero control over anything...other than the decision to "do it" and persevere whatever it takes. Having been through it (and without too many glitches, amazingly) I am in total awe of so many folks who have been through the mill over and over before they get the process completed successfully. We have some acquaintances in the online community that have been working for over two years to get through it relative to Russia with road-block after road-block and know of others who have had several domestic adoptions crash and burn at the last minute. I'm always joyful to see reports like Pete's that have happy news.

Von Bickley
04-22-2006, 10:41 PM
Pete,

Congratulations to the "Harbin Family". That's a fine looking son that you and your wife have.

Pete Harbin
04-23-2006, 12:38 AM
Mark,

It can be a touch and go process. For domestic adoptions, once all of the pre-work is done, you pretty much wait to be picked by a birth mother, and that average wait is about 14 months with our agency here. We had just finished our paperwork and our final interviews with the agency when they told us that a mother had already picked us (no long wait!), but then the birth father and his mother decided that they wanted to raise the baby. That was tough, and made the wait we did have seem even longer. We were finalists for a few mothers along the way, but we ended up waiting the average time of 14 months, when they called us one Friday afternoon and told us to come meet our son who had been born that morning. I still can't even decribe how I felt that day. When Ty is about a year or so old, we'll begin the process again. We haven't decided on a third yet, but we're both leaning that way so far. :D

We are actually very fortunate to be in New Mexico for an adoption. There are only five states categorized as "most friendly" in regards to adoption, and NM is one of them. Our agency is absolutely wonderful, and have never had a finalized adoption contested or overturned, or had birth parents change their minds after relinqueshing. Aside from the wait, we were very fortunate to not have to deal with so many of the obstacles that others have had to endure. When we attended our orientation with the agency, there were couples from all over the US that were working with our agency in NM because things can be so difficult elsewhere. NJ and NY were particularlly tough, for reasons I won't go into here. There were two couples from each of those states at our orientation session.

We have some close friends who have adopted their two daughters from China, and fortunately also did not run into any odd issues. But when involving another government in the mix, who knows what could happen when the winds of diplomacy and politics blow. :confused:

Thanks for all your well wishes and congrats gang! I love this place!

Pete

Wes Bischel
04-23-2006, 12:17 PM
Pete,
Let me add my congratulations to the others expressed here. Somehow I missed your posts. My little man Sam is 4 now and the day in court was nerve wracking and exhilarating all at the same time. I'm glad everything went well for you!
Since we adopted internationally, we are still dealing with government red tape dealing with citizenship/passport/social security. Even though he arrived after the laws making him an "instant citizen had been passed - the bureaucracy had/has not caught up and didn't/hasn't acknowledged it.:confused: Thankfully you won't have those hassles!

Next thing you'll know he'll be asking to borrow the keys to the car!:eek:

Congrats again,
Wes