PDA

View Full Version : Spectator chair building help needed.

Greg Ladd
04-20-2006, 7:49 PM
Hello everyone,

I am in the process of building some spectator chairs for the pool table area in our basement. Brunswick makes one that I am using for inspiration.

It looks like this: http://dannyveghs.com/brunswick/extras/chair.jpg

The front legs are straight and the back legs are straight until they get above the seat cushion. At that point they bend backwards at about an 8.5 degree angle. They go straight from that point up another 18 inches or so.

My question is this; can I cut the back legs out of a single piece of stock or should they be laminated? Is the point where the back legs bend backwards a significant weak spot? My initial thought is a single piece of stock is fine as the legs are 1.75 inches square.

I am planning on building these with in either cherry with birdseye maple armrests or maple (painted black to match the table) with the birdseye maple armrests.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Greg

M. A. Espinoza
04-20-2006, 9:27 PM
No concern for weakness, especially with the arms. Plus with 1.75 stock you have plenty of wood.

Lots of mortise and tenons, how are you planning on duplicating your parts?

Ken Fitzgerald
04-20-2006, 9:30 PM
Gregg.........I haven't seen one of those chairs since 1967......a fellow classmate and I skipped 8th hour PE for 2 months .....went to the local pool hall and played snooker. Wow! A lot of memories....we hung out at that pool hall regularly. Wasn't much else to do in that little one horse town..........Please post back with pictures of your finished project!

Greg Ladd
04-20-2006, 9:46 PM
M.A.,

Most of the dimensions are straight forward and almost everything except the top arch on the back rest and the arms are straight cuts.

The braces are curved on the Brunswick model but I am not sure that I will make them quite like that. everything that isn't a straight cut will probably be duplicated with a router and a pattern.

A Leigh FMT will help immensely with the M & T's. I will probably drawbore the joints as I think the pins would look nice, especially if I choose not to paint the chair itself.

Ken,

I really like the basic design. Brunswick claims this design is based on a version that they made back in the 1920's. They are comfortable to sit in. Some retailers are charging $900.00 for one of these! I want to make 4 of them.

We are finding that we need a place for everyone to sit while the pool game is going on. These should make a nice solution.

Thank you both for the replies. It is reassuring to know that the thickness of the legs will be sufficient.

Greg

Ted Jay
04-20-2006, 11:27 PM
M.A.,

Most of the dimensions are straight forward and almost everything except the top arch on the back rest and the arms are straight cuts.

The braces are curved on the Brunswick model but I am not sure that I will make them quite like that. everything that isn't a straight cut will probably be duplicated with a router and a pattern.

A Leigh FMT will help immensely with the M & T's. I will probably drawbore the joints as I think the pins would look nice, especially if I choose not to paint the chair itself.

Ken,

I really like the basic design. Brunswick claims this design is based on a version that they made back in the 1920's. They are comfortable to sit in. Some retailers are charging $900.00 for one of these! I want to make 4 of them.

We are finding that we need a place for everyone to sit while the pool game is going on. These should make a nice solution.

Thank you both for the replies. It is reassuring to know that the thickness of the legs will be sufficient.

Greg

I was in the process of drawing up plans in AutoCAD for this type of chair last week. Why these chairs are priced so high is beyond me. If you can, keep track of your expenses, and let us know. At least I would like to know. Lots of M & T's.
Good Luck,
keep us informed.
Ted

I was trying to go a more economical route and a simpler design such as the attached picture.

Greg Ladd
04-21-2006, 12:34 AM
Ted,

I hopefully will be able to keep everyone posted as to progress.

As far as expenses go, I am hoping to use wood that I have had in stock for quite awhile. I will need to purchase the birdseye maple for the arms if that part of the plan is followed. The only thing I am completely unsure of is the cost of having the seats upholstered in leather.

As far as the cost of the Brunswick spectator chair price; I am certain that the small casting that says 'Authentic Brunswick' probably at least doubles the final price!

Greg

Carl Eyman
04-21-2006, 8:08 AM
Hey Greg: Maybe you can get one of the laser guys to make you one of the Brunswick gimicks. Then yours will be worth twice as much.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-21-2006, 8:11 AM
Carl.........this may the only time since joining SMC I'll disagree with your sage advice......I think having one of the laser guys make Greg's logo and putting on the chairs would double their value over the Brunswick models!:)

Greg Ladd
04-21-2006, 2:14 PM
Carl,

We have an Olhuasen table. I am not going to put a Brunswick label on the chairs but will try to get some recognition to the Olhausen brand.

Greg

Greg Ladd
04-21-2006, 2:16 PM
Thank you for the kind words Ken. I can only that the chairs will look as well finished as they look in my minds eye.

Time will tell.

Greg

John Gregory
04-21-2006, 2:37 PM
Greg,

When you come up with the the board feet for each species of wood, that would help anyone estimate the cost.
I wish plans would advertise a brief material list, just listing material and board feet or sheets of ply etc. Then before purchasing the plan, one would have a good estimate of the cost of material.

Greg Ladd
04-22-2006, 12:46 AM
John,

I will try to do some estimating of material amounts as I build these chairs.

Just so everyone understands - I am building these chairs based on a version that I saw and liked. I was fortunate enough to sit on one and it seemed comfortable to me.

There is not a plan available for this chair as far as I know. Anything that I am able to build will be based on plans that I draw up.

I am hoping to start this weekend but there is not a definitive date for completion as my work schedule tends to vary greatly from week to week.

Greg

Gail O'Rourke
04-22-2006, 8:24 AM
hi Greg! This is an awesome project. It looks like a lot of fun, and once you make the first you can batch the rest. It would be great to make this first out of pine as a prototype and then you can use it in your shop....then you can speed away on the fancy wood. I will be keeping an eye on this project, have fun with it.

Greg Ladd
04-22-2006, 9:49 AM
I had considered making a prototype out of MDF but I hate working with the stuff.

Pine is a great idea. I might even try poplar as I have a decent source nearby at a good price.

I hope I don't disappoint everyone that is watching this. I tend to be very slow with these things as life tends to get in the way.

Greg

Joe Mioux
04-22-2006, 10:39 PM
I was in the process of drawing up plans in AutoCAD for this type of chair last week. Why these chairs are priced so high is beyond me. If you can, keep track of your expenses, and let us know. At least I would like to know. Lots of M & T's.
Good Luck,
keep us informed.
Ted

I was trying to go a more economical route and a simpler design such as the attached picture.

Ted,

I have two of these chairs and couldn't agree with you more.

These are nothing but sticks screwed together.

I bought these chairs prior to my woodworking interest.

I built a pool cue rack not long ago (sorry did not post pic of it, but will if someone is interested), where the catalog price was somewhere near $200. I builit mine out of red oak for less than $20.00

Joe