PDA

View Full Version : Delta 22-560 Planers

Harry Niemann
04-20-2006, 7:42 PM
Apparently this planer has a bad engineering problem with the drive pulley bore wearing and becoming floppy. The pulley gets hot melting the belt and sometimes the plastic cover over the belt. This has happened twice to me. the pulley is held with a nut and a keyway. The first time I used loc-tite on the nut. 6 mo. later it happened once more. The nut was still tight, but the pulley was worn loose again. The second time I complained to Delta and they sent me new parts icluding the cutterhead which had a worn keyway. They did this no charge even tho it was several years out of warranty. I used loc-tite on the pulley bore as well as the nut:)

Joe Jansen
04-21-2006, 2:42 PM
I had the same thing happen. The thing got so hot it melted the plastic pulley gaurd. I replaced the parts and have had no trouble since.

Joe jansen

Mike Tempel
04-21-2006, 7:42 PM
I also had the same problem. Ended up having to take it to a local service shop since it got so hot that I could not get the pulley off myself. Since that repair I had no further problems until I had to trash the planer some time ago as it burnt up and I didn't want to start the same mess all over again. However, I did buy the newer model of the same Delta planer and have had zero problems with it. As you can tell I had no problems buying another one since I was so happy with the performance of the first one. I just thought at the time that it was something out of the ordinary since my planer was in the neighborhood of five years or more old.

Michael Adelong
04-21-2006, 7:43 PM
Was there any noise or any other indication of impending failure before it happened, or was it a working fine then... boom!... type of thing?

Mike

Jim W. White
04-21-2006, 9:27 PM
Mine made a distinctive rattling sound as the pulley became increasingly loose on the shaft, but mine too went to melt down before I fixed it; as I hadn't heard of he problem at the time.

The repair was easy and straight forward and the belt can be found on Amazon. I didn't bother replacing the shroud. Just through the pulley back on with a liberal amount of lock-tite.

The problem was a little disap;ointing, but the overall performance of this little planer over the years has been so steller, that I got over it quickly.

..Jim in Idaho

Greg Scott
04-24-2006, 12:26 PM
My 22-560 just recently started making a noise similar to what you've described. Guess I'll be checking it out to see if mine has the same issue.