PDA

View Full Version : Pen Blanks

Bernie Weishapl
04-20-2006, 4:01 PM
I wish to say a big thank you to Stu Ablett and John Hart his buddy in crime for the nice pen blanks. Stu thanks. I will send you pictures when I get them completed and hope to do you proud.

David Fried
04-20-2006, 4:59 PM
Beat me to it Bernie!
I got my package yeaterday but left the camera at the shop.
I'm thrilled to have a small piece of Stu's Big Adventure.
Thanks Stu!!

Andy Hoyt
04-20-2006, 6:29 PM
Hey! Me too. Thanks, Stu. Thanks, John.

Your note was sopping wet, so I'm gonna let 'em set a spell.

Gary Max
04-20-2006, 6:50 PM
Thanks Stu and John mine arrived yesterday.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
04-20-2006, 7:10 PM
Well there you go.

Once my Logging In Tokyo (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=27490&highlight=Logging+Tokyo) was all done, and I was cutting up bowl blanks, and then I was using up the little pieces for pen blanks, I thought "When in the world am I ever going to use over 200 pen blanks....?" A quick PM to Mr. Hart and..... Well, there you go, a bunch of wood sent in the mail, and Mr. Hart kindly sent each package on it's merry way.

We tried hard to pick people that do pens, and that are great members of SMC (Don't know how that Mr. Hoyt slipped in...... ;) :D Kidding!).

I very much hope that you all enjoy this little slice of my adventures over here in Japan, I hope that the wood turns out to look fairly nice in pen form too. I cut the blanks WAY too big, but if you have a nice sharp bandsaw, maybe you can get 4 blanks out of one piece...?

Dunno, still, it should be fun.

To anyone who did not get a set, I apologize, I had to draw the line as shipping from Japan was not cheap, and the box I sent was getting heavy.

I still have a large number of pen blanks, so if someone wants some more, or just wants some, maybe we could work out a trade?
http://www.ablett.jp/workshop/images/jackpot/annex/box_o_pen_blanks.jpg

Cheers!

PS can't wait to see the pics! :D

John Hart
04-20-2006, 7:23 PM
Hey...I got a cool box out of the deal. I told Stu that my girls like to collect stamps from all over the world....So he kindly loaded me up with 6200 yen worth!! They want me to sturdy it up so they can use it for their collection box. Thanks Stu!!!!:) :)

04-20-2006, 7:30 PM
John, you should have seen the poor guy at the post office, counting all them stamps, calculator and note pad in hand, he twice came out with the wrong number (too low) and I said "Count them again, I know I got it right" and in the end he finally got it right, but the poor guy was sweating bullets :D

Nice that your girls can enjoy the box, but ain't that always the truth with kids? I think the most fun me and my brother ever had was when my Mom got a new fridge, we got the box, had more fun with that box than I can remember!

Cheers!

Pete Harbin
04-20-2006, 7:44 PM
Stu, you're such a class act!

Pete

Bernie Weishapl
04-20-2006, 7:57 PM
Thanks again Stu. These pens will be mine. I will not sell or give away. I appreciate the thought and as I said before I hope I do you proud.

Stu meant to ask is this wood fairly stable? I know when I opened the package the letter was quite damp. By the way that will stay with the pens.

Curt Fuller
04-20-2006, 8:01 PM
Wow, Thanks Stu for some fantastic wood! And Thanks John for serving as the middle man. I haven't turned any pens in a while but now have a good reason to get some pen kits. All are woods that I've never even heard of before so that makes it even better.
Several times now I've been overwelmed by the the great folks that hang out here at SMC. I don't know what it is, maybe breathing a little sawdust or staring into a spinning piece of wood just brings out the best in people. Whatever it is, it's an honor to be a member of this great group.

04-20-2006, 8:18 PM
Thanks again Stu. These pens will be mine. I will not sell or give away. I appreciate the thought and as I said before I hope I do you proud.

Stu meant to ask is this wood fairly stable? I know when I opened the package the letter was quite damp. By the way that will stay with the pens.

The Sakura really has moved on me in the drying process, the red and blue Keyaki seems to be fairly stable.

This wood was all cut by the end of February, the Sakura before that, more like Dec of 2005.

I waxed the blanks with Bri-wax, it was all I had, then I shipped them to Mr. Hart, on a boat, which took like 6 weeks.

I hope the wood is stable, but it may not be dry, yet, dunno, sorry.

Let them sit for a while, they are not going anywhere :D

Cheers!

04-20-2006, 8:20 PM
Wow, Thanks Stu for some fantastic wood! And Thanks John for serving as the middle man. I haven't turned any pens in a while but now have a good reason to get some pen kits. All are woods that I've never even heard of before so that makes it even better.
Several times now I've been overwelmed by the the great folks that hang out here at SMC. I don't know what it is, maybe breathing a little sawdust or staring into a spinning piece of wood just brings out the best in people. Whatever it is, it's an honor to be a member of this great group.

Curt, you are very welcome, I too find this one great place to hang out, that is what motivated me to send the wood, the real hero is Mr. Hart, without his help, this would still be just a neat idea.

Thanks John! :D

Scott Donley
04-20-2006, 8:44 PM
Stu, You are "THE MAN" Thank you much for the blanks. Proof positive there are some really good people in this world, and thanks to John for his part in THE GREAT STU GIVEAWAY. I will do my best to not make toothpicks out of this fine wood :)

Barry Stratton
04-20-2006, 9:11 PM
SO, there I was, sitting in my office waiting for an interview to start when one of my staff walks in and leave an envelope on my desk. I pick it up and notice it is from John Hart. I opened it up and was shocked/amazed/deeply touched to see that I was sent a min-bomb ala the Tokyo Logger/Dungeon dweller!

WOW. THANK YOU. You guys are amazing. I went from lurker to contributor/annoying rookie question asker because of the Ken Fitzgerald bomb. Now this. This place is amazing.

Thanks again Stu and John. I hope my turning skills are sufficient when these blanks are dry to do them justice!!!

I believe Mr. Hart needs to be bombed. Anyone want to kick in for a horse?????

John Hart
04-20-2006, 9:16 PM
.......I believe Mr. Hart needs to be bombed. Anyone want to kick in for a horse?????

WHOA Nellie!!! Hang on there just a minute big fella. I'm sufficiently happy hanging out with my friends here. Y'all just keep your ponies to yourselves! :D

Earl Reid
04-20-2006, 11:27 PM
Thanks to Stu Ablett and John Hart for the pen blanks. I received them on Tue. with a letter about the blanks. I had to dry them, I zapped them in the micro wave 15 - 30 sec several times a day. This morning I zapped them several times, not letting them get too hot. I would put them in a baggie and could tell if moisture was being emited. I took them to the shop and for the first time I used the water method with the polly glue, within an hour I was able to turn them. I was very pleased with the finished pens. I will attempt to post pics ( I had some problems with lighting tonight)

Earl:)

Earl Reid
04-20-2006, 11:33 PM
I forgot to include the types of wood:rolleyes:
1 Red Keyaki
2 Sakura
3 Blue Keyaki

Sorry about the pic quality.

Earl

04-21-2006, 12:16 AM
Hey Barry, glad you liked it...........BTW, great idea for Mr. Hart....... :D

04-21-2006, 6:45 AM
Nice Pens!! :D

Ken Fitzgerald
04-21-2006, 8:00 AM
[quote=Barry StrattonI believe Mr. Hart needs to be bombed. Anyone want to kick in for a horse?????[/quote]

Count me in! I could even find a couple of local road apples to send to Mr. Hart!:eek: :rolleyes: :D

Mike Ramsey
04-21-2006, 9:48 AM
Congratulations on the wonderful gift Bernie!! Stu's an amazing guy!