PDA

View Full Version : Project complete: Book case for baby's room

Tim Solley
04-20-2006, 12:23 PM
Hi everyone,

My first baby is due in three months. While I'm not building the crib, I'm building everything else for his room. I just completed a tall book case from maple plywood, solid hard maple, and curly maple. This is only my second furniture project, and up close it shows! From the pictures things look pretty good though :D.

The book case was dyed with Behlen Solar Lux American Walnut. I then glued on the curly maple shelf fronts (no stain on those) and went over the whole thing with boiled linseed oil to bring out the grain. I then followed up with three coats of Waterlox Original Sealer/Finish. The Waterlox really added a nice tone and sheen to things, especially the curly maple.

Next up is a six drawer chest of drawers to match the book case. It will be the same design and color. The drawer fronts will be all curly maple. It won't be cheap but should be quite striking! It will double as the "changing table". Fancy changing table if you ask me.

My neighbors who just had a baby came over last night and I could tell he was in trouble when his wife saw the curly maple. "Why haven't YOU made ME anything like THAT?" she says. Oh boy.

Thanks for looking. Tim

Mark Patoka
04-20-2006, 12:28 PM
Very nice looking. Can't wait to see the dresser/table.

Looks like you're already working on your "Proud Papa" smile!

mark koopman
04-20-2006, 12:29 PM
Hey nice looking piece, and congrats on the baby. Love the curly maple on there. And a thumbs up for making the neighbours wife jealous...all in all nice work.

Ben Roman
04-20-2006, 12:31 PM
Great work !! Don't let her get Little Poo Poo on the Dresser !!!

Cheers:)

Ted Jay
04-20-2006, 12:56 PM
Great work !! Don't let her get Little Poo Poo on the Dresser !!!

Cheers:)

OH... that's just extra "stain".....

GOOD JOB

Tim Solley
04-20-2006, 1:05 PM
Hey don't even get me started on stain! That Solar Lux stain was a disaster! I ragged it on, but because it dries so fast I ended up with lap marks galore. I managed to fix it with a sponge and some water, but that left splotching (which was exactly the point of using a dye on maple), and created other problems because of the water. But it came out okay. I talked to a support guy from Behlen the next day who said that marketing puts that you can wipe on the dye on the label, but that you should only spray this product because it dries so fast. I even used their retarder to slow the drying time, but it didn't help. I bought a HVLP system and intend to practice a lot before using it on the dresser. There will be a lot of colorful cardboard in my shop after I'm done.

As for the neighbors wife, well there's a story there. My wife liked the furniture they bought for their baby. They bought this stuff from Italy that was several thousand dollars a piece. So I copied it. Then I made it better but adding the curly maple. Oh, and I didn't use particle board like the Italian "masterpieces" had. Oh, and the wood cost $125. And it took three days to build. So yeah, she was a little jealous, especially since a book case wasn't available in the set she bought. Last night she was kind of mumbling about maybe paying me to build her one. Ha.

Thanks for the responses guys. It's always good to have your work looked at by your peers.

Tim

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
04-20-2006, 1:05 PM
Looks really great, make sure it is attached to the wall.

My Mom tells the story of me climbing those things before I could walk, says she came in once and I was halfway up the bookcase making a break for the top :D

Cheers!

Tim Solley
04-20-2006, 1:11 PM
Looks really great, make sure it is attached to the wall.

My Mom tells the story of me climbing those things before I could walk, says she came in once and I was halfway up the bookcase making a break for the top :D

Cheers!

Got that covered! The back panel protrudes from the top 3/4 of an inch or so. Once my wife finalizes where she wants it, I'll screw it into a stud. When she was a baby, she pulled a tall chest of drawers over on top of her. Nearly cracked her skull open.

I also added extra reinforcements below each shelf, and the curly maple fronts should add some support. I wanted to make sure it wouldn't break under the weight of books and a toddler.

Tim

Pete Harbin
04-20-2006, 7:32 PM
Nice job Dad! The curly maple is a nice touch and looks great.

Congrats on the pending arrival!

Pete

Roger Los
04-21-2006, 12:44 AM
Nice job Dad! The curly maple is a nice touch and looks great.

Congrats on the pending arrival!

Pete
Nice bookcase! We don't have kids, but I sure like changing tables and cradles, they're often "fun" designs. Have fun with them!

Jason Tuinstra
04-21-2006, 3:26 AM
Tim, congrats on your first baby! What a joy. It looks like your ahead of the game in setting up the nusery. Good for you. The bookshelf looks great, though it looks more like a Teddy display :p Have fun with the rest of the room.

Kevin Herber
04-21-2006, 7:38 AM
Hi everyone,

My first baby is due in three months. While I'm not building the crib, I'm building everything else for his room....

The bookcase looks terrific - especially for a man in your condition. I must say, you are carrying it well, you aren't even showing yet but I hear the last few months are when you really balloon. :D :D :D

Seriously, congrats on two great jobs - the book case and more important, the baby. Good luck. Send pics when that job is complete too.

-- Kevin

Garry Smith
04-21-2006, 8:34 AM
Nice job Tim and congradulations.

Jim Becker
04-21-2006, 9:59 AM
You know, you don't even look pregnant in the picture, Tim! :D :D :D (Congrats in advance on the pending birth)

Seriously, very nice bookcase. (Be sure it's tagged to the wall to insure the child cannot pull it over once he/she gets mobile down the road...)

David Duke
04-21-2006, 10:11 AM
Great looking piece Tim, I know it was built with love. Congratulations on the upcoming addition to your family.

lou sansone
04-22-2006, 6:50 AM
nice looking book case. Congrats on the new baby. Its going to be a stylish room that for sure
lou

Gail O'Rourke
04-22-2006, 8:58 AM
Great job on the bookcase, the finish looks great. I have had luck using the dye and covering it with a stain. It will even out the blotchiness and provides a deep color.

Have fun building the rest of the pieces, the paint in the room also looks great, love the color on the ceiling.