PDA

View Full Version : Hand saw info ?

Don Orr
04-20-2006, 11:06 AM
Hey folks, I'm looking for some info on a handsaw I found in my Father-in-Law's basement. I was cleaning it up a little and discovered an etched emblem on one side. It says something like "Crescent Tools, Meriden, Conn, USA" and there is what looks like a number 8 stamped in the blade at the rear of the saw below the handle. Anybody have any insight on this saw? I have not searched the internet yet. I figured someone here may know something. One of the handle screws says "warrented superior" but I have seen that on lots of saws. Also, where can I get some of the bolt/nut devices that hold the handle on the blade-for a different saw ?

Thanks for any info you can come up with.

Don

Kevin French
04-20-2006, 3:04 PM
Chrome, Brass or Alumnium?

Dennis McDonaugh
04-20-2006, 9:31 PM
Don, your saw was made by H.W. Mason and company which used the "Crescent Works' brand. No dates or locations are listed in the "Hand-saw Makers of North America" so I assume they did not have a long, profitable, business life.

Jasper Homminga
04-21-2006, 3:02 AM
Don,

Also, where can I get some of the bolt/nut devices that hold the handle on the blade-for a different saw ?There may be other places but Dieter Smid of Fine-Tools (http://www.fine-tools.com/fuchs.htm) has them.

good luck,
Jasper

Dan Forman
04-21-2006, 4:02 AM
The number "8" most likely refers to "points per inch", the number of teeth per inch of blade.

Dan

Don Orr
04-21-2006, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the helpful info regarding my saw. If they were not in production long does that mean it is very rare and valuable?:D ;) :eek:

Take care, Don

Mike Wenzloff
04-21-2006, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the helpful info regarding my saw. If they were not in production long does that mean it is very rare and valuable?:D ;) :eek:

Take care, Don
Unfortunately, probably not, Don.

Scarcity isn't a good indicator of value. Seems like it should hold true across the board--so to speak--but it doesn't. Scarcity by main makers using their own brand *can* be, not always so, either.

As always, something is worth what others would pay. But vintage saws in general are so plentiful and etches/maker information so spotty that those willing to pay more than a few dollars generally stick with the known makers and odd variations of their saws.

For instance, a Disston #7, even a split nut one, won't fetch much. But one from the same period that has an odd etch or mis-made medallion is worth much more. While not common, there are some Disstons out there where the medallion reads "H. DISSTON & SNOS" instead of "...& SONS". For some reason the "SON" die got reversed at various times during production. There's enough of them they pop up at times and for various vintages, so it wasn't a one-time event.

Anyway, sharpen it, use it. As for the saw bolts/nuts, if they are brass, your best bet would be to remove them from an otherwise worthless saw. If the are chrome, the ones Ace Hardware sells for next to nothing are a good choice.
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1288969&parentPage=search&keywords=saw+screws&searchId=10443522038

Take care, Mike