PDA

View Full Version : Learning - the hard way

David Fried
04-20-2006, 10:39 AM
I had a Yew log from the dump that was maybe 1/3 of the diameter of the tree. There was some damage to tree on the outside so I didn't think it was a very useful piece. I decided to try and rough a bowl out of it. It would have to be natural edge since the piece was shallow and the damage would mean the bowl would have a hole in it. OK, so far - I like new things!

I could see one crack that started at the hole and I was determined to keep an eye on it. I got tenons turned on the piece and started to shape the outside. The crack ran half way around the bowl and wasn't going away. The crack is at about 7 o'clock starting at the hole.

As I shaped the outside I noticed the sound of the gouge changing so I stopped to take a look. A second hole! Boy, is this going to be funky. If I knew more perhaps I would have known the holes were connected but I was still concentrating on that crack.

I started to hollow out the inside. I really wanted to see if that crack went all the way through. Again, I heard a strange noise and stopped the lathe. The first hole seemed to be getting larger and larger. Eventually, it connected to the second hole.:eek: At least I didn't see that crack.:rolleyes:

I continued to use the bowl gouge, even with that gapping hole, until I finally got a catch. It didn't seem big but the bowl popped off the chuck and rolled off the beds onto my feet. The tenon was gone but I made my first poker chip!:D

I put the bowl back on by expanding the jaws into the foot and switched from the gouge to scrapers. Things were going along fine but I couldn't find one tool so I stopped the lathe. After I found the missing tool I started the lathe and heard a loud BANG! I cut power to lathe at the wall cut-off switch and found that the melon slice piece of wood above the holes had broken off. Glad I stand aside when starting the lathe!

That's it. I glued the piece back on and I'll give a coat of shellac and put it in the backyard as a rustic, outdoor piece. It is NOT going back on the lathe.

Lessons Learned:
Two holes can be connected
Don't let one problem blind you to the bigger picture
Stand aside, way aside, when starting the lathe

I'm sure there are other lessons here, I just need more time to reflect.

Thanks for looking.

John Hart
04-20-2006, 10:52 AM
I'm Impressed!!! You stuck with it even though it wanted to kill you!;)

Ken Fitzgerald
04-20-2006, 10:53 AM
Dave,

We beginners have a lot to learn! The cherry bowl that exploded on me had a bunch of cracks that would have qualified for the Itty Bitty contest! I ignored them too! Had similar results as you! Crack has the potential to kill......in turning too!:eek: :D I'm investing in some CA and using it the next time!

Bernie Weishapl
04-20-2006, 11:05 AM
Thanks David for the reminder on a couple of safety things. Little reminders don't hurt.

Mike Ramsey
04-20-2006, 2:57 PM
David, when I start on pieces like that, I like to crank up the
Mission Impossible theme music.....you know with the sound
of the fuse burning down ;) . Your yard I'm sure looks moe better
now!