PDA

View Full Version : Project: Padauk/Zebrawood shelving -FINISHED!

Roy Wall
04-20-2006, 10:16 AM
This is for my daughter's first grade class. They only have a set of single hooks along the wall, so it's difficult to hook their coats, jackets, etc.. and their backbacks - the coats are always dropping on the floor.

So - here is my solution. The teacher has a "African Jungle Theme" throughout the room - so I thought the exotic woods would fit.

The unit is attached using the Kreg screw system (very strong) and I'll probably rip a 2x6 in half and use as a French Cleat to attach to the wall at school.

There will be three of these (two shown). They have to be different lengths to accomodate the way the room is broken up. I will add hooks to the underside of the lower shelf - this will give the kids the room to hang several items in their own space. The shelf will be used for holding lunchboxes, etc...

The "Padauk Fins" are 16" apart for support with glues and screw from back and underneath. The long shelf is 98" and will hold 12 hooks @ 7.5" apart. The short shelf is 48" and will hold 6 hooks @ 7.5" apart.

A third shelf holding 6 hooks is ready for assembly - but not needed immediately.

Now - two questions for the creek:

1) I built this with the idea that the ZebraWood is the "backsplash", but I'm considering just the opposite - let me know what you think???

I'm still leaning toward showing the Zebrawood "arch" off from the front - but look at the inside photo with the shelf on the table saw for a consideration....

PS -I don't know how the kids will hold stuff.....but their backpacks can be pretty heavy....so I'm a little concerned about the weight issue. Can I get some assurance the Kreg screws and the "wood fins" will be plenty of muscle??:confused:

2)Was going to use the General Products (seal a cell; arm r seal) as finish. Will do final sanding today and apply sealant coat. This gives me time for 2-3 finish coats and to install on Monday.....I know the Minwax stuff can dry much faster - but I want to use a wipe on finish. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks for looking!!!

Roy Wall
04-20-2006, 10:18 AM
second set of pics!

Scott Coffelt
04-20-2006, 10:22 AM
Think kids, think abuse, hanging on them overloaded and stuff. You wouldn't want them to come down on them. Also, round edges as exotics can created alergic reactions, so make sure nothing can easily create splinters. Finish well.

Might want to have a piece on the bottom along the back for the hooks to attach to.

Other than that, pretty dang fancy for a school. Nice job.

Roy Wall
04-20-2006, 10:35 AM
Think kids, think abuse, hanging on them overloaded and stuff. You wouldn't want them to come down on them. Also, round edges as exotics can created alergic reactions, so make sure nothing can easily create splinters. Finish well.

Might want to have a piece on the bottom along the back for the hooks to attach to.

Other than that, pretty dang fancy for a school. Nice job.

Scott,

I'll keep using the existing hooks that are already there along the wall. The new hooks will be about 4-5" out on the underside of the shelf - just enough to give them room.

But yea - I'm getting worried about 12 backpacks with 20 lbs each hanging on it!! Yikes!!

I'm also considering some " 90* angled steel bracing" underneath....that outta hold em'!!!

Jason Tuinstra
04-20-2006, 10:59 AM
Roy, it's looking great. It should go well with the theme of the room. I'm with Scott, think abuse! Lag bolts should do the trick :p

Now how about that table? Has it been put on hold or did you get it done while I was in Chicago and I missed it?

Jim Becker
04-20-2006, 11:05 AM
Beautiful! And I agree with the others...fasten that sucker down good! It needs to handle a few kids actually "hanging" on it!!

Alan Turner
04-20-2006, 11:26 AM
Roy,Very spiffy. And unusual wood; wood that apparently does not make dust. Can your wood teach my wood that trick?

Mark Singer
04-20-2006, 11:28 AM
Roy,
They look great! Wonderful combination of woods!

Tyler Howell
04-20-2006, 11:31 AM
Beu-ti-mus Too nice for kids:rolleyes: :rolleyes: .
Adult play room only;)

Michael Ballent
04-20-2006, 12:59 PM
Roy it looks great. and I would definately make sure that it can hold a few kiddies hanging off of it. :D

Pete Harbin
04-20-2006, 7:38 PM
Really sharp looking Roy! That will be the coolest looking classroom in school!

I'm not going to tell you to assume and plan for kids hanging on it like everyone else...I'll just tell you to listen to everyone else. :D :D :D

Pete

Mark Stutz
04-20-2006, 8:12 PM
Roy,
Looks good. I like the Zebrawood as the backsplah so to speak, but I would also use some braces below the shelf as well. Maybe mimic the Paduak dividers on the botom of the shelf to serve as a brace. Not sure if you plan one section on top per student or not. If so, the recreate a mirror image on the bottom. If not then one on each end and one in the middle ought to work and still allow plenty of room for coat hooks.

I'm with Jason...how's the table coming?:D

Mark

Roy Wall
04-24-2006, 5:42 PM
Well all, got the shelving / backpack rack up today!

Thanks for the suggestions on "beefing " this unit up a bit. Here's what I did:

1) Acquired some 2x8" and planed to get a nicer finished face and edges. This thickness (1.5") allows some SERIOUS weight bearing hooks to be iimplanted to the underside of the shelving.

2) Resawed some Padauk into 1/4" (finished) face veneers to cover the edges of the 2x's

3) Attached the new "Undershelf" to the existing unit - leaving a 1/4" reveal for asthetics (sp).

4) Used (1000 lb strength) steel braces lagged into the existing studs to hold these puppies.... two for the 48" unit and three for the 96" unit.

5) Used more 2x's to creat a "french cleat" on the back side of the Zebrawood - attached to the wall (again thru the studs...etc..) More support!

Here are the pics! Thanks for the help - there are some Happy First Graders - they LOVE IT....and that is enough reward for me.

PS - My 1000th post......

Vaughn McMillan
04-24-2006, 5:59 PM
Great job, Roy. Looks real nice, and it sounds like it's plenty stout.

And congrats on post #1,000. ;)

- Vaughn

Jason Tuinstra
04-24-2006, 6:12 PM
Roy,

Hey, it turned out great. I guess I didn't understand how you were going to hang it earlier, but it looks just right. I'm sure the teacher was totally wowed by it. Good for you.

Mark Stutz
04-24-2006, 6:32 PM
Great job, Roy. Doesn't sound like that is going anywhere. Now just sit back and wait for the other parents to ask if you can build something for them!:D

Mike Hollingsworth
04-24-2006, 7:34 PM
Your kids must be so proud

great job, Roy

Frank Chaffee
04-24-2006, 9:07 PM
Terrific Roy, those shelves turned out great!

What’s more, you gave children much more that just a place to store bags, as they now have daily contact with the finely made work of a craftsman.

Nice contribution.
Frank

Alan Tolchinsky
04-24-2006, 9:24 PM
It makes the area look so much classier.

Jim Becker
04-24-2006, 9:39 PM
Wow! They look great! Congratulations on a job well-done!

Darl Bundren
04-24-2006, 9:43 PM
Those are some great looking shelves. And, as an educator, I appreciate it when parents contribute their time, labor, and energy to make schools nicer or more successful. And I'll bet it made a good impression on your daughter and her friends. Nice work all the way around!

Mark Singer
04-24-2006, 10:20 PM
Roy,
Great work! As the Paduk darkens it will pick up the dark color in the Zebra....great combination!

Roy Wall
04-24-2006, 10:58 PM
Thank you all for the kind remarks......it was certainly a labor of love.

The kids know me well, I have the flexibility to show up now and then and I have a great friendship with them all. It's fun to see their excitement! They deserve our best attempts! And yes, I could tell my daughter was feeling pretty proud of dad:) ..

I remember when I was a first grader - the kindness of my next door neighbor. He was an elderly gentlemen (Dr. Good was his name...really) and had a "cool" garage with a bunch of "gords" (sp) hanging from the garage rafters. One day I helped him rake leaves - I'm sure I was a lot more trouble than help - but he was always kind to me. Anyway, He gave me a silver dollar....and that was the coolest thing ever...

I'll be ready for 2nd grade classroom projects.....err...this time more like September:cool: .

Steve Wargo
04-24-2006, 11:24 PM
Nicely done Roy. The design, and the wood selection looks great. Nice to see the classroom get such a classy piece. Congrats on a job well done.