PDA

View Full Version : Thank you Mr. Hoyt

David Fried
04-20-2006, 9:30 AM
I have a bowl roughed out from my roadkill wood that is particularly funky.
Now that it is dry I thought the next step would be to cook it in some of
Bob Smalser's Boat Soup.

I have a smallish pot dedicated to this but the bowl was too large! My first stop was at the Salvation Army where I picked up a new pot for $4.99.

Next, I mixed up a new batch of Boat Soup and cooked the bowl for a couple of hours. I picked up a nice brown bottle at the dump a few weeks ago and wanted to bottle the left over Boat Soup. I didn't want to use and clean a kitchen funnel or the large plastic funnel I use for my DNA.

Hmmmm... Suddenly I realized I have just the funnel! Thanks Mr. Hoyt!

I think the funnel looks better after a little Boat Soup. I do need more Boat Soup so I'll be moving it into a gallon paint can and I'll reuse the bottle for Mr. Hart's Secret Finish. Bet the funnel looks even better after that!!

I'm seriously thinking about turning a few more funnels for shop use so I don't have to worry about contaminating my kitchenware.

I never would thought to turn a funnel.:rolleyes:

Andy Hoyt
04-20-2006, 11:20 AM
Ahh, the practical side of turning. I'm glad you found out what it was, 'cause I'm sure I've never known!

Turns out I need to make another funnel too. Was planning on doing some gasoline management today on the snowblower enerator, etc. Drain tanks, run engines dry, fill generator with fresh stabilzed gas, etc etc. All old gas goes into the '98 Ford Exploder. But I can't find my cheapo plastic funnel with the loooong neck I need to get the gas into the Exploder.

Mike Ramsey
04-20-2006, 2:52 PM
Okay David......what is Boat Soap????

David Fried
04-20-2006, 4:57 PM
Bob Smalser's mixture of BLO and Turpentine (60/40 mix), with a dash of Pine Tar, and Japan Drier.
(I mention Bob's name in case anyone wants to find the post in the neander section)
You warm up the mixture and letting the piece soak for hours.
Seems to get good penatration. House smells nice, too.;)

Curt Fuller
04-20-2006, 8:45 PM
Bob Smalser's mixture of BLO and Turpentine (60/40 mix), with a dash of Pine Tar, and Japan Drier.
(I mention Bob's name in case anyone wants to find the post in the neander section)
You warm up the mixture and letting the piece soak for hours.
Seems to get good penatration. House smells nice, too.;)

Ahhh, a nice big steaming wooden bowl of Boat Soup chased down with a goblet of Epoxy Manhatten. Life doesn't get much better!

Ken Fitzgerald
04-20-2006, 8:49 PM
This is Ken in Idaho.....just looking down ....shaking his head.....

David Fried
04-20-2006, 9:47 PM
This is Ken in Idaho.....just looking down ....shaking his head.....

You still trying to find that missing bowl ??!! :D

Karl Laustrup
04-21-2006, 6:42 AM
'98 Ford Exploder.

Wasn't that the PINTO? Or do they have another one?

Karl

Andy Hoyt
04-21-2006, 8:03 AM
Nope - I renamed it in honor of that ignominious Firestone tire thing a few years ago.