PDA

View Full Version : Festool Report (Gloat and tool report-long)

Lloyd Robins
08-24-2003, 2:14 AM
I am relatively new to SMC. I have received help and good advise, and I thought that I would let you know about my most recent purchase. It might help someone who is looking at a ROS and a vacuum.
I received my Festool order this week. After listening to a lot of you guys and talking with Bob Marino, I got agreement from the LOML to give one of their tools a try. Then Bob told me about the 20 percent off on the first order (I think until the end of Sept.) I got figuring that instead of just a hose, a dust extractor wasn't that much more. Hmmm...
Anyway I ended up buying a 150/5 ROS and the CT MINI dust extractor. When you add up the extras even with the discount, it was a large piece of change for me, and I was worried that I had overspent. When I got them I found them to be well packaged and noted that they had been shipped exactly as promised. As far as the tools, I will start with the ROS. It is absolutely wonderful! :D I had read a review that stated that it vibrated less at lower speeds. I really can't tell that there is much difference in vibration at any speed. Compared to by old Bosch it has almost no vibration at any speed. This makes it easy to control and use for extended sanding. The 150/5 has the larger orbit of the two 6" ROS sanders. It is satisfyingly agressive, but it also leaves a nice finish with a proper grit. (180 seems to do the trick, but I intend to try the 220.) It connects up easily to the CT Mini dust extractor.
The CT Mini is so quiet that when you run the sander, which is also quiet, you cannot hear the dust extractor. The first time that I ran them together, I thought that the dust extractor wasn't working. When I turned off the sander the dust extractor ran for a few seconds and then shutdown. When I used the sander with the extractor there was no dust left unless I sanded right on the edge and the suction was broken. Then the dust fell on to the bench. I set the sander lightly on the dust and the dust disappeared. I ran my hand on the board and did not get any dust on it from the board. I take that as proof the dust extractor is working! :D I can hardly wait to try it with my router (It is a Bosch not a Festool) and see how they work together. I cannot find anything to complain about. I am extremely pleased with my purchase, and recommend these units highly. In short no buyer's remorse. I also recommend Bob Marino (ROBARLMAR@aol.com) highly. He was very patient and helpful. He even got the tech people involved on a question and got back to me within hours (not days)! Oh yes, I do have one complaint. They sent me a flyer with my shipment letting me know that their jigsaw is on sale until the end of Sept. After reading John Miliunas' review as few days ago, I feel that this is cruel and unusual punishment for someone who has just spent several months tool money on these items and a couple of other things. :( I guess that I will live with it as the tools that I have are above my high expectations. Email me if you have any questions about the tools.

John Miliunas
08-24-2003, 1:09 PM
Lloyd, get the jigsaw and be done with it! :D You won't regret it and you'll find yourself looking at all other tools in a different light. You've set your high expectations to a new level. If you don't get the jigsaw on the "special promo" now, you'll be kicking yourself in the rear the very next time you need to use one and find the one you have is just too light duty or leaves skewed cut lines. Yeah, it's a big bite outta' the tool budget, but like in all high quality tools, you soon forget the initial expense and, in the long run, it's actually less expensive. :cool:

Dave Hammelef
08-24-2003, 1:54 PM
Well, got the ok from the budget analysist (my wife) and am looking at buying several Festool Tools on the sale. Thoughts right now are Saw w/guide, the table, a rotex, and a vac. But further thoughts are the router, and the jig saw, though I have to admit not sure I can see that many uses for the jig saw.

So what accesories should I get and which tools (the saw, guide and vac are must haves anything else is negotiable).

Dave

Christian Aufreiter
08-24-2003, 5:52 PM
Well, got the ok from the budget analysist (my wife) and am looking at buying several Festool Tools on the sale. Thoughts right now are Saw w/guide, the table, a rotex, and a vac. But further thoughts are the router, and the jig saw, though I have to admit not sure I can see that many uses for the jig saw.

So what accesories should I get and which tools (the saw, guide and vac are must haves anything else is negotiable).

Dave

Hi Dave,

you will certainly not regret buying Festool's!

I have the CT 22 vac, the ES 150/3, the small router and the plunge saw.
I got the saw and the router just two days ago so I can't really comment on them.
My dad has the cool CDD cordless drill with the eccentric and the right angle attachment.
So which tools do I recommend?
* ATF plunge saw
* Vac: CT 22 for the shop and CT Mini for the jobsite
* The CDD and both attachments for sure!
* The jigsaw (I want it myself too) because the special offer is incredible
* A ROS: I ended up with the ES 150/3 and have been happy with this decision but you may have differnet needs.
* The MFT: a nice addition to saw and the guide
* Router

Accessories:
* Probably more guide rails
* Accessory systainer for the rails
* Sandpaper (I have Rubin and Brilliant)
* accessory systainer for the vac (maybe not necessary if you buy the current special offer which includes accessories)
* adapter in order to use the jigsaw with the rails
* maybe copying rings, centring mandrel and the hole drilling system

Feel free to email me for any specifics!

Regards,

Christian

Dennis Peacock
08-25-2003, 12:42 AM
All I can say is:

<B>How can you got wrong with a tool from Festool...!!!!!</B>

John Miliunas
08-25-2003, 8:03 AM
All I can say is:

<B>How can you got wrong with a tool from Festool...!!!!!</B>

Well, I'm glad you finally piped up, buddy! After all, *YOU'RE* the one who started the "SMC Festool Buyers Club", aren't you?! :D Seriously, for me, it was indeed your wonderful sander review when you got your 125. The rest is history! Thanks! :cool:

Lloyd Robins
08-25-2003, 9:57 AM
Lloyd, get the jigsaw and be done with it! :D You won't regret it and you'll find yourself looking at all other tools in a different light. You've set your high expectations to a new level. If you don't get the jigsaw on the "special promo" now, you'll be kicking yourself in the rear the very next time you need to use one and find the one you have is just too light duty or leaves skewed cut lines. Yeah, it's a big bite outta' the tool budget, but like in all high quality tools, you soon forget the initial expense and, in the long run, it's actually less expensive. :cool:

John, my wife says that she is not amused with your idea. I think it sounds great! I do already own a pretty good bayonet saw. I have the PC 97549. It has the side supports for the blade. The base just won't tilt, and it has no dust extractor port, etc. :( It does hold a pretty good line though, and until I tried a Festool product, I thought that I had the best.

John Miliunas
08-25-2003, 11:29 AM
John, my wife says that she is not amused with your idea.

Lloyd, how about a few justifications? 1) Promise to make her something very special with the help of your new aqcuisitions. 2) Just tell her how much healthier it is for you to have proper dust extraction when scrolling out those beautiful feet for the table you're building. 3) "But Dear, with a better and faster machine, I'll get my (insert specifics here) project done quicker, which will leave me more quality time I could spend with you!" I'm sure the rest of the guys here can probably come up with more and even better justifications, but, if all else fails, give your buddy the $$ for it, have him order it, have it sent to his house and then sneak the stuff in part by part! :D :cool: