PDA

View Full Version : Old Geezer's & Others Goblet Contest Winners

Ken Fitzgerald
04-20-2006, 9:08 AM
Folks....Below is the tabulated results of the voting for the winners of the Old Geezers & Other Goblet Contest...though I think all contestants are winners. For those of us just starting out it was a chance to develop new techniques, forms......gain some experience and develop the courage to display the results of our endeavors!

Thanks to all the contestants! You made it a real competition and forced us to try harder!

A special Thanks to John Hart for conducting and tabulating the voting results!

Keith Burns - Poplar 21 28.00%
Lee DeRaud - Black Palm 10 13.33%
Bernie Weishapl - Walnut/Ash Glueup 10 13.33%
Curt Fuller - Zebrawood #1 8 10.67%
Ron Ainge - Silver Maple 8 10.67%
Jim Stoppleworth - Walnut 6 8.00%
Andy Hoyt - Buckeye 4 5.33%
Curt Fuller - Zebrawood #2 4 5.33%
Curt Fuller - Apple 3 4.00%
Ron Ainge - Elm 1 1.33%

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
04-20-2006, 9:12 AM
Hey that was fun, I really enjoyed seeing everyone's take on a "Goblet".

I really did learn a few things, and I hope to learn some more.

Congrats to everyone who took part, and thanks to Ken and Mr. Hart for the extra work!

Cheers!

Bob Noles
04-20-2006, 9:55 AM
That was a great contest and many beautiful pieces.

Yes.... everyone was a winner and it is so nice to be a part of so many talented people on SMC.

Bernie Weishapl
04-20-2006, 10:27 AM
Ken thanks for having the contest. I feel anyone that entered was a winner. I know I have gotten some new idea's. I told the SWMBO I needed one to those captive ring cutting tools. She did the eye roll thing. I told her it was all Ken's fault. :eek: ;) :p

Ken Fitzgerald
04-20-2006, 10:29 AM
Must be a different Ken:confused: ....I dont' have one?:) .......Whew! Don't want Bernie's wife looking me up!:eek: :D

04-20-2006, 11:01 AM
Ken thanks for having the contest. I feel anyone that entered was a winner. I know I have gotten some new idea's. I told the SWMBO I needed one to those captive ring cutting tools. She did the eye roll thing. I told her it was all Ken's fault. :eek: ;) :p

Hey Bernie, not to rain on you "New Tool" parade, but I made one out of one of the cheapo parting tools I have (I think I had three parting tools).

Worked for me :D

Bernie Weishapl
04-20-2006, 11:07 AM
Stu that is what I had in mind to. I have one I could make real easy.

Ken Fitzgerald she says to tell you that you have been warned. :eek: :( :D

Lee DeRaud
04-20-2006, 11:48 AM
For what it's worth, I think Curt kinda got screwed: his two zebrawood entries split the votes...they added up to a clean second place.

But Keith's entry was just plain too elegant to beat.:cool:

Ron Ainge
04-20-2006, 12:00 PM
for those of you that are thinking of getting some kind of captive ring tools. I have a set that I made out of long stem allen wrenches, one for the right side and one for the left side. For about two bucks and some handles you can grind them to do the cutting for you. If you want additonal inforation let me know.

04-20-2006, 12:14 PM
Ron, the additional info include pics??? :D

yes please!

Ron Ainge
04-20-2006, 12:22 PM
Stu

I will be gone form home for the next few days so if you will email me a reminder about med week I will try to get a photo of the tools and get them on the site.

Keith Burns
04-20-2006, 1:45 PM
Thanks Ken for your idea.
Thanks John for your administration of the contest.
Thanks to all of the entrants for participating. You made it worthwhile.
Thanks for the "Continuing Education" program provided here.
Thanks for the fun.

No where else could you see so many fine goblets in one place, they are all WINNERS.:)

Mike Ramsey
04-20-2006, 3:29 PM
Congratulations on 1st place Keith!! You deserved it. The rest of
the Goblets were fantastic also.

John Hart
04-20-2006, 4:02 PM
Yep yep...I'd like to congratulate Keith for First Place and for everyone who participated. There are some wonderful pieces in there...some, that I would like to give a try m'self. Lots of inspiration! Thanks everyone!!!:)

Ron Ainge
04-20-2006, 4:23 PM
congratrulations to keith you did a very good job. To all of the others who entered we all did what we could to make this a site of learning and helping others to do the work they are interested in. It was fun for me and I even learned that I can do an instructional piece. Good work to all those who support this creek.

Jim Stoppleworth
04-20-2006, 4:27 PM
Congratulations Keith, really a good looking piece. LOML was thrilled her little goblet that I turned made the finals. Thanks judges!!

Jim

Frank Chaffee
04-20-2006, 4:37 PM
Congratulations Keith,
And to all who entered as well. There were not only many outstanding goblets shared here, but the skills developed and honed by you turners has surely and will surely continue to grace these pages as well as inspire others for some time to come.
Thanks all,
Frank

doug webb
04-20-2006, 6:27 PM
My thanks to everyone as well. Congratulations to you Keith, you deserved it. It was a lot of fun. Looking forward to more.

Curt Fuller
04-20-2006, 8:40 PM
For what it's worth, I think Curt kinda got screwed: his two zebrawood entries split the votes...they added up to a clean second place.

But Keith's entry was just plain too elegant to beat.:cool:

LOL!! Lee I think we all came out winners on this one. I've turned a few goblets before but this was a chance to turn it up a little and try a few new things. I think a lot of folks said it was their first time so it was good for everyone. Congratulations to Keith and to everyone elso who gave it a go.

Barry Stratton
04-20-2006, 9:26 PM
Congrats to Keith on a fine goblet!

It was TOUGH to pick just one, especially in the finals. I really enjoyed looking at all the entries and learned a GREAT DEAL from all of you!

Jim Davenport
04-20-2006, 10:13 PM
Congratulations Keith.
I was honored to be in such esteemed company. Everyones entries were great.

Steve Ash
04-21-2006, 8:08 AM
Congrats to Keith as well. :cool:

Personally I had a fun time with this contest and looking forward to the next one.

Bruce Shiverdecker
04-21-2006, 12:12 PM
Congrats to all who participated and a special thanks to ken and company for thinking it up and monitoring it.

Bruce