PDA

View Full Version : business insurance

Floyd Spence
04-20-2006, 5:48 AM
i recently checked out some quotes at http://www.oneshopinsurance.com they have a couple of companies here.. who has a busiess insurance here? any advice?:confused:

Joe Pelonio
04-20-2006, 8:23 AM
I use state farm, and have the same agent for Homeowners, business, cars and life. They may not be the lowest but I get really good service, in fact they give me business sometimes. I did check into changing the business insurance when it went from under $300/year to over $1,300
after 9/11 and found that it's less than most.

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-20-2006, 9:30 AM
IMNHO "Lowest price" is not the best step on the decision tree.

"Service" is bar none my number one indicator. Ill pay a premium for service.

I like Chubb. I have it for my home, cars and business.

Jim Becker
04-20-2006, 10:11 AM
IMNHO "Lowest price" is not the best step on the decision tree.

"Service" is bar none my number one indicator. Ill pay a premium for service.

I like Chubb. I have it for my home, cars and business.

Amen. I'm not a business insurance "consumer", but agree with Cliff's observation about working with a qualified local professional who can really look at your needs and match you up with the right carrier. This is really, really important for business coverage...

(I'm also a Chubb customer for my homeowners coverage as they specialize in homes like mine that have "historical"/old features which complicates replacement cost. I know I pay more that I would with some other carriers, but the coverage is also superior)

Roger Everett
04-20-2006, 6:11 PM
How many and what color??
Bussiness insurance is kinda of a general term, what type of coverage are you looking for. To cover stock- tools- commerical property- including burgarly/ roberly, etc- general liaibilty. I can only talk $ about what I carry ( bussiness wise). For my stair bussiness, I carry a general lia. policy, termed under trim carpentry.There are exclusions, such as only doing interior work, and a few others things. I carry a 300K policy which in my area runs about 4oo/ yr. Though when first getting the policy, there was a prem. loading factor for IIRC for the first year or two of an addit. $150, as a new, unknown customer or some such.

HTH
Roger

Rob Russell
04-20-2006, 8:09 PM
Floyd,

Welcome to SMC.

I work for one of the major insurers (Fortune 100). I won't push our brand but will echo the previous comments about finding a professional to work with. We deal with independent agents and that's the route I'd recommend for business insurance anyway.

Personal insurance can be simple enough so you can go it on your own if you choose to. Also, in the PL market, direct writers offer an alternative.

Business insurance is a whole different story. You really want someone who is familiar with the ever-changing insurance market. IMO an independent agent is able to do that because he/she represents multiple companies and you get the benefits of competition.

I'd highly recommend talking with a couple of agents and choose the one that you feel listens to your needs, shows they understand your issues and offers solutions truly tailored to your business situation.

Rob

Dennis Peacock
04-20-2006, 9:54 PM
Welcome to SMC Floyd. Share your woodworking and other related subjects and enjoy your visits to SMC.