PDA

View Full Version : Large Turned Jewelry Box ...

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
08-23-2003, 10:53 PM
A co-worker asked me to turn a jewelry box for his SWMBO for their upcoming 25th anniversary. He wanted to get her something that would be one of a kind and that she could pass on to her daughter eventually. He wanted it out of cherry, but the largest I could find was 4X4 stock and he wanted it a little larger. I decided to take two bowl blanks and use them separately to make the bottom and lid. I soaked both pieces in LDD for three days, let it air dry for three more, then turned this box today. It's 6" wide by 4" tall. I did something I hadn't tried before, and made a small tray to sit down in under the lid to hold small items, such as earings and rings. The bottom is hollowed to hold larger items. I finished the bottom of the tray, so it can be inverted and used as a flat lid, if desired, with the top removed. I finished it with Danish oil and will give it three more coats to finish it off. It's fun to try something new. I'm going to contact Keith about possibly getting it laser engraved with their children's picture. Thanks for looking, have fun and be safe.

Kevin Gerstenecker
08-23-2003, 11:28 PM
Ron, the Cherry box is really nice...........an heirloom for sure! Very nice idea with the lift out tray. Nice work, as usual! :D I will be turning soon, and I have a couple of questions about soaking the blanks prior to turning. Somewhere, it may have been here, I read a little about using Liquid Dishwashing Detergent for soaking blanks. What ratio do you use, and are they rinsed after they are removed, or just soaked for a few days and then dried for a few more before turing? My guess would be that the soaking serves to soften seasoned wood so it turns more readily? How does the soaking affect the finishing process, or does the wood need to be left to dry for a specific time after turning, before finishing? Also, what purpose does the LDD have? Does is serve as a wetting agent of sorts? Lot's of questions I know, but I sure appreciate all the information I have received regarding my upcoming venture to the "Dark Side", as some call it! :D

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
08-24-2003, 9:25 AM
I will be turning soon, and I have a couple of questions about soaking the blanks prior to turning. Somewhere, it may have been here, I read a little about using Liquid Dishwashing Detergent for soaking blanks. What ratio do you use, and are they rinsed after they are removed, or just soaked for a few days and then dried for a few more before turing? My guess would be that the soaking serves to soften seasoned wood so it turns more readily? How does the soaking affect the finishing process, or does the wood need to be left to dry for a specific time after turning, before finishing? Also, what purpose does the LDD have? Does is serve as a wetting agent of sorts?

Kevin, I tried using LDD when I first started turning because I was getting a lot of splits. It's worked great for me since then. I just don't like the idea of having to wait six months to turn a piece I've been wanting to do. You may still get some warping and/or splits, but not nearly as many. Some people use it, some don't. I use a 4 gallons (water) to 1 gallon (LDD) in a large cooler with a lid. This keeps it from evaporating. No need to rinse, just soak a couple of days, let dry a couple, then turn. Some folks turn immediatety without drying, but that's a little too wet for me. I know people have soaked seasoned (dry) wood and had success. I always apply the Danish oil when completed turning, without further drying time. It's not been a problem. Here is a link to Ron Kent's site ... the guy I read to get me started ... http://www.ronkent.com/RKhome.html ... hope this has helped a little. I know you'll enjoy turning as much as I have.

Gord Graff
08-24-2003, 3:27 PM
Hi Ron

I don't turn at all but I sure can appreciate the work of those who do. Very nice work, I'm sure that your work will be treasured for many, many years. Very well done.

All the best
Gord