PDA

View Full Version : Wood ID

Jeff Horton
04-19-2006, 10:28 PM
Besides maples what tree's put on the the 'helicopter' seed pods? I have several trying to take over my barn, they are VERY fast growing trees. I have to cut them down soon (hope they are not holding up the barn!) and just curious what they are. I have some of the wood in the shop now I am turning.
I can scan in some leaves if nothing rings a bell.

Jim Ketron
04-19-2006, 11:58 PM
Sounds Like Box Elder to me!
Is this what it looks like?
http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules/gallery/albums/albuq78/IM000693.sized.jpg

John Hart
04-20-2006, 7:00 AM
Elm has a seed pod. They cover my house and fill my gutters every year.

Jeff Horton
04-20-2006, 8:10 AM
We don't have Box Elder as far as I know.

We do have Elms. Will look up Elm and see what it looks like.

John Timberlake
04-20-2006, 9:53 AM
Ash also has a seed with a single blade instead of the two you get with maples. And they grow pretty fast.

Jeff Horton
04-20-2006, 12:06 PM
Here are some leaves I pulled off this morning. Looks like something has been snacking on them.

The seed pods were in pairs. They came out with the leaves and are gone now.

I looked up Elm and the edges are not jagged enough and the leaf pairs grow oppisite of each other. Not slighty offset as the web site showed them.

Jim Ketron
04-20-2006, 6:25 PM
Thats Box Elder!
Look at my pic and compare.

Jeff Horton
04-20-2006, 7:06 PM
Well, I guess I was wrong. Didn't see your photo when I posted mine this morning. Yup, thats box elder. Isn't that the one that has the red streaks sometimes?? :confused::confused:

Jim Ketron
04-20-2006, 7:30 PM
Yes it does sometimes mostly in larger size trees. I have made several posts with turnings from Box Elder Now you know what it is the search is on.:D

Jeff Horton
04-20-2006, 7:36 PM
Yes and I have been so envious because I was sure it didn't grow here too! And to think it is trying to take over my barn! The real shame is I can't leave them, they have to come down. Lot of small ones, one medium sized but I will save the wood anyway.

Curt Fuller
04-20-2006, 8:06 PM
That's definitely Box Elder. Even when it doesn't grow all the red streaks and stuff it still is some of the nicest turning wood out there. It can be pretty plain but if you want to try dyeing or carving it's great wood to work with.

It is in the maple family too, acer negundo.