PDA

View Full Version : Ready to make the plunge

Scott Gibbons
04-19-2006, 8:20 PM
Hows this setup for a Noob? Am I missing anything? Am I buying something i dont need? Thank in advance for your advice

<TABLE id=Table2 cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=3 width=562 align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle width=35>832637 (http://www.woodcraft.com/search/search.aspx?query=832637)</TD><TD vAlign=center align=left width=220>RIKON Mini Lathe
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle width=35><INPUT id=WoodCraftCartDisplay1__ctl0_txtQty style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: 1px solid; WIDTH: 30px; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px solid" maxLength=4 size=2 value=1 name=WoodCraftCartDisplay1:_ctl0:txtQty></TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle width=54>$249.99</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle width=54>$0.00</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle width=54>$249.99</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle width=110>
</TD></TR><!-- Must be 562px total --><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle width=35>833262 (http://www.woodcraft.com/search/search.aspx?query=833262)</TD><TD vAlign=center align=left width=220>RIKON Universal Mini Lathe Stand
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle width=35><INPUT id=WoodCraftCartDisplay1__ctl1_txtQty style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: 1px solid; WIDTH: 30px; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px solid" maxLength=4 size=2 value=1 name=WoodCraftCartDisplay1:_ctl1:txtQty></TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle width=54>$139.99</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle width=54>$0.00</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle width=54>$139.99</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle width=110>

</TD></TR><!-- Must be 562px total --><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle width=35>145899 (http://www.woodcraft.com/search/search.aspx?query=145899)</TD><TD vAlign=center align=left width=220>1" x 8 TPI Midi Chuck
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle width=35><INPUT id=WoodCraftCartDisplay1__ctl2_txtQty style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: 1px solid; WIDTH: 30px; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px solid" maxLength=4 size=2 value=1 name=WoodCraftCartDisplay1:_ctl2:txtQty></TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle width=54>$119.99</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle width=54>$0.00</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle width=54>$119.99</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle width=110>

</TD></TR><!-- Must be 562px total --><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle width=35>145913 (http://www.woodcraft.com/search/search.aspx?query=145913)</TD><TD vAlign=center align=left width=220>Beginner's Turning Set
Sharpening Service (Set of 5): Yes

</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle width=35><INPUT id=WoodCraftCartDisplay1__ctl3_txtQty style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: 1px solid; WIDTH: 30px; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px solid" maxLength=4 size=2 value=1 name=WoodCraftCartDisplay1:_ctl3:txtQty></TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle width=54>$124.99</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle width=54>$0.00</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle width=54>$147.49</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle width=110>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 0px; BORDER-LEFT-WIDTH: 0px; BORDER-BOTTOM-WIDTH: 0px; WIDTH: 175px; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse; BORDER-RIGHT-WIDTH: 0px" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class="orange black" colSpan=3></TD><TD class="orange black"></TD><TD class="orange black" style="WIDTH: 1px">http://www.woodcraft.com/images/clear.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD class="orange black" style="WIDTH: 1px">http://www.woodcraft.com/images/clear.gif</TD><TD class="orange black"></TD><TD class="orange black" style="WIDTH: 50%" noWrap align=right>Merchandise Total: </TD><TD class="orange black" style="WIDTH: 25%" noWrap align=right>$657.46</TD><TD class="orange black" style="WIDTH: 25%" align=right></TD><TD class="orange black"></TD><TD class="orange black" style="WIDTH: 1px">http://www.woodcraft.com/images/clear.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD class="orange black" style="WIDTH: 1px">http://www.woodcraft.com/images/clear.gif</TD><TD class="orange black"></TD><TD class="orange black" style="WIDTH: 50%" noWrap align=right>Ground Shipping: </TD><TD class="orange black" style="WIDTH: 25%" noWrap align=right>$12.99</TD><TD class="orange black" style="WIDTH: 25%" align=right></TD><TD class="orange black"></TD><TD class="orange black" style="WIDTH: 1px">http://www.woodcraft.com/images/clear.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD class="orange black" style="WIDTH: 1px">http://www.woodcraft.com/images/clear.gif</TD><TD class="orange black"></TD><TD class="orange black" colSpan=3></TD><TD class="orange black"></TD><TD class="orange black" style="WIDTH: 1px">http://www.woodcraft.com/images/clear.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD class="orange black" style="WIDTH: 1px">http://www.woodcraft.com/images/clear.gif</TD><TD class="orange black"></TD><TD class="orange black" style="WIDTH: 50%" noWrap align=right>Order Total: </TD><TD class="orange black" style="WIDTH: 25%" noWrap align=right>$670.45</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

David Fried
04-19-2006, 8:26 PM
Perhaps a book or video to help get ou started?

Otherwise, it looks like a strong start!

Oh yeah, Welcome to the Creek!!

Jim Stoppleworth
04-19-2006, 8:28 PM
Missing a face shield to start.

If you haven't placed the order cancel it, grab a beer from the fridge, plunk yourself down in your easy shair, pat yourself on the back, and say,"That was a close call from sliding down a very slippery steep slope.":D :D

Jim

My wife who bought me a lathe for my birthday a year ago says she created a monster.:D

Scott Gibbons
04-19-2006, 8:31 PM
I own a face mask/respirator from other "projects" lol. ill pick up a video and i am going to get some books tomorrow at lunch :)

Bob Noles
04-19-2006, 8:34 PM
Scott,

Those are some big $ to drop on the way you are going about this. I would do much different and wade in a piece at a time and save some $ for other things you will be needing. My first concern is the stand. I am not sure it is HD enough VS building your own or other means of securing it. As far as turning tools, I see you are going to let WC sharpen them. Do you already have a way to keep them sharp afterward? If so, why not just sharpen them when they arrive. If not, you can use some savings to purchase a grinder and grinding jig. What will you be turning? You may want to look at a larger lathe even.... for that kind of money you can come pretty close to a HD lathe with HD stand.

This will get you started until some of the other give you more help than I have. Not feeling the best this evening, so not as much help as I would like to be.

BTW.... welcome to SMC

Scott Gibbons
04-19-2006, 8:36 PM
Thats a good point/points. the other lathe I was looking at was a jet 1236 or the 1442 but the 1442 is really pushing my budget.

Scott Gibbons
04-19-2006, 8:36 PM
Sorry, I plan on turning bowls no spindles

John Hart
04-19-2006, 8:40 PM
Welcome Scott!!!! Don't listen to Jim. Put the beer away and spin your way to heaven.:) :)

Oh...The respirator and safety glasses won't stop large pieces of wood from embedding themselves in your forehead.:eek: .....you might want to reconsider on that faceshield.;) Good investment of $20.

Best learning tool I've found is right here...SMC

Again...Welcome to the Abyss!!:)

Scott Gibbons
04-19-2006, 8:42 PM
I own the face shield and mask already. I used them with my wire wheel.

Pete Jordan
04-19-2006, 9:16 PM
Maybe some wood?

Pete

Jim Davenport
04-19-2006, 9:18 PM
That's a good start. I'd add a slow speed grinder, and a jig for gouges.

Scott Gibbons
04-19-2006, 9:20 PM
any reccomendations on a jig? i am going to pick up some wood blanks on ebay.

Pete Jordan
04-19-2006, 9:48 PM
Scott,

I think you are buying this stuff from Woodcraft. If that is the case, you might want to take a one session turning class there first. The reason I am say that is because when I took a class there they gave a 10 or 15 percent coupon to use on anything. That would be enough for the grinder or the class or maybe a Wolverine jig and you would get a good intro into turning.

Good luck!

Pete

Ken Fitzgerald
04-19-2006, 10:02 PM
Scott..........1st...Welcome to the Creek! 2nd.....You won't believe what turning will do to your life! I know 1st hand! 8 weeks ago or so...I had never turned......Then some idiots:rolleyes: here at SMC most of whom wish to remain anonymous...bombed me with a Jet VS Mini.......and tools.........I haven't done anything but turn or spend time planning turning time, turning projects or finding the funding for my next tool! But....the LOML will tell you she hasn't seen me have this much fun ever!

Books........I'd recommend a book by Keith Rowley....Woodturning ....A Foundation Course.

Videos..............for general beginning turning....FWW....Richard Raffan....Turning Wood. For bowls....our very own Bill Grumbine's video...Turning Bowls Made Easy.........Both are distinctively different.

Good luck with your new adventure....and be prepared!

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
04-19-2006, 10:14 PM
Welcome!

$139 for a stand :eek: ouch!

You must be able to build something for less than that, just put a few bags of sand in the bottom of a cabinet of some-sort, that is a lot of cash for a stand!

Go to the Borg and see if they have any scratch and dent cabinets, like for the kitchen or bathroom, put a good chunk of wood on top for the lathe, put 4 heavy bags of sand in the base, and you will have a drawer or two for stuff, and a way cheaper stand!

Then spend the money you saved on a grinder and jig, you need to sharpen your tools many times during a turning, so unless you live next door to the sharpening service....?

Oh, how about a chainsaw, and safety equipment, even an electric chainsaw, and a converter for your car/truck, to help you cut up that found wood at the road side?

:D

Taking a class would be great, and I very much like Bill G's DVD.

Cheers!

Bernie Weishapl
04-19-2006, 10:30 PM
Scott welcome. First off I agree with others and build your own bench. Second while learning to turn and sharpen tools I would get the Harbour Freight set for about $35. They are good tools and fine to learn with. I wouldn't buy a $150 to $200 to practice sharpening on. Ken, myself, and Bob are all new and we found out that sharpening is extremely important to get right. You will find sharp tools makes turning a whole lot easier. Then take the money you save from getting the HF tools and get yourself a slow speed grinder and sharpening jig. Most have the wolverine jig but there are several out there. Just my 2 cents.

Tyler Howell
04-19-2006, 10:31 PM
Run Scott while you still can.
Be strong. Spin Meth will only take all you you money and leave you a broken man:( .
Welcome to the Creek.:D

Ken Fitzgerald
04-19-2006, 10:35 PM
Scott..........I wouldn't pay any attention to a thong wearing SMC Photo Cop who spends his days harrassing the turners here!:eek: :rolleyes: :D

Andy Hoyt
04-19-2006, 11:25 PM
Yup.

Dump the stand and build your own.

Dump the sharpening service and do it yourself.

But first - take a bowl turning class. Woodcraft's are decent and safe but you'd be even happier with a one on one all day session from a local. The AAW site can help you find someone. Or we could if we knew where you were located.

Raymond Overman
04-19-2006, 11:52 PM
Scott,

Welcome to Woodturning, where every penny is pinched until a nickel is squeezed out. Now I'm not saying we're a tight bunch, but a lot of us value our folding money much more than our time, therefore, building your own lathe stand, tools, and jigs, plus sharpening your own tools and finding the cheapest deal is in our nature.

It looks to me like you have a fine start with your list. My suggestion if you're looking to turn bowls is add a couple of bowl gouges to your list. My favorites are the P&N gouges because the come unhandled and they're less expensive but they're good quality tools.

A variable speed grinder and some form of sharpening jig will be invaluable. Sharpening your tools before starting turning and before finish cuts are very important.

A membership with your local turning club is some of the best money spent for learning to turn.

Scott Gibbons
04-20-2006, 8:43 AM
The thong is a little creepy. Does Tyler wear it while he is turning?

Rich Stewart
04-20-2006, 9:35 AM
Oh man!!! What a visual. Turning in a thong.

Go ahead and get your stuff. You will be spending money for this, that, and the other thing from now on. It will be one thing after another. From bandsaw, chainsaw, drill press to finishes, sandpaper, and drill bits. Just do it. Every single thing I have gotten, at the time I said I couldn't afford it. I got it anyway and I am still in my house, haven't missed a meal, the money is long forgotten but I have the tool. GO FOR IT!!!!

Rich

Ken Fitzgerald
04-20-2006, 9:45 AM
The thong is a little creepy. Does Tyler wear it while he is turning?

Scott.......He probably doesn't wear the thong while turning ....YET! As far as we know....he's a flatlander....renovating a house.....HE's very much anti-turning.....he just let his badge as "Official SMC Photo Cop" go to his head.......so he comes here to hassle the turners........but he will be assimiated.........he will become a turner.....I came here and hassled the turners ........and they pushed...shoved me into the vortex.......my life's not been the same since but I've ENJOYED EVERY MINUTE! I'm broke these days....don't have much freetime.....but I'm turning and ENJOYING EVERY MINUTE!.........Did I mention I'm having a good time turning?:D

As far as Tyler wearing the thong....nobody has been bold enough to go to his shop and witness such an event........:eek: :D

Scott Burgess
04-20-2006, 9:53 AM
Hi Scott. Welcome to SMC. That might sound a little strange coming from a first time poster, but I have been lurking for quite a while and have learned a good bit from these guys (and gals) over that time. I don't really have a lot of advice to add; I'll leave most of that to the much more experienced here. One thing to note in regards to the slow-speed grinder. WC has their unit on sale for $69 through the end of April. This is about the best price I've found anywhere on a SS grinder (even includes 60 and 120 grit white wheels). Also, if you're primary focus will be bowls, you might consider a lathe with outboard turning capacity. This way, you could turn something larger than 12" diam. Anyway, good luck and I'm sure you'll find this board very informative and turning very addicting :).

Bob Noles
04-20-2006, 9:59 AM
As far as Tyler wearing the thong....nobody has been bold enough to go to his shop and witness such an event........:eek: :D

Ken,

The only way the picture could be worse is if he did NOT wear it while turning :eek: :eek: :eek: :D :D

John Hart
04-20-2006, 10:02 AM
Hi Scott. Welcome to SMC. That might sound a little strange coming from a first time poster, but I have been lurking for quite a while and have learned a good bit from these guys (and gals) over that time. .....

Another WELCOME to another SCOTT!!!

Daniel Heine
04-20-2006, 10:16 AM
Hello,

I was thinking of the Rikon mini myself. When IU added up the lathe, the stand and the extensions, it totaled more than the Jet 1236!!! To me it made more sense to go with a full size lathe.

BTW, I was at the Woodcraft store in Woodridge, IL yesterday, and on May 06, they are having a sale - 30% off any one item in the store!!!! Thats a big chunk off if you are in the Chicago area.

Thanks,
Dan

04-20-2006, 11:54 AM
Not to mention this..........

Is this against the rules...?

Print it out, save some money......... to spend on other turning tools etc :D

Bob Noles
04-20-2006, 1:37 PM
Is the Rikon mini a VS?

Bernie Weishapl
04-20-2006, 1:54 PM
Welcome to another Scott to SMC.

Mike Ramsey
04-20-2006, 3:11 PM
Welcome to the Creek Scott, ...oh and to you to Scott!!!

Scott, no the other Scott, What the others said, make your on stand, get you a few tools, a grinder and get after it. Enjoy being broke & extremely
happy!!

Keith Burns
04-20-2006, 3:15 PM
Welcome to the Creek Scott x 2:) No advice on tools and equipment from me as I generally don't know what I'm talking about, but I will offer this advise : HANG ON, YOU'RE IN FOR THE RIDE OF YOUR LIFE!

tod evans
04-20-2006, 3:47 PM
welcome scotts!

Scott Gibbons
04-20-2006, 8:21 PM
Well, I think my wife lost it......... I was talking to her about all this great stuff and she knows how I am... I think I have her about 99% talked into letting me pick up the Powermatic 3520 that I initally wanted. I just need to get that last 1%

04-20-2006, 8:43 PM
Hey Scott, mothers day is fast approching, what more could any mom want than a nice mustard lathe :D

Go for it, she might be POed but when your name is mud, and you are sleeping in the dog house, at least you will have the PM to spend time with :D

Oh Yeah!! ;)

Pete Jordan
04-20-2006, 9:18 PM
Well, I think my wife lost it......... I was talking to her about all this great stuff and she knows how I am... I think I have her about 99% talked into letting me pick up the Powermatic 3520 that I initally wanted. I just need to get that last 1%

I got mine at Toolnut delivered for $2570.
My wife is over it already!:eek:

Pete

Steve Ash
04-21-2006, 8:15 AM
I got mine at Toolnut delivered for $2570.
My wife is over it already!:eek:

Pete

Yeah Pete, but did you tell her the real price? :D
Where is Andy with that "another one bites the dust" song
And Welcome to the Creek Scott.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-21-2006, 8:19 AM
You know Andy.....he doesn't get quite as excited over mustard as he does about mayo!

Andy Hoyt
04-21-2006, 8:35 AM
Scott walks warily down the street,
With the brim pulled way down low
Ain’t no sound but the sound of his feet,
Roughing gouge ready to go
Are you ready, are you ready for this
Are you hanging on the edge of your seat
Out of the doorway the shavings rip
To the sound of the beat

Another one bites the dust
Another one bites the dust