PDA

View Full Version : Drying time

Jim Tobias
04-19-2006, 5:28 PM
I am getting a guy to cut a quarter sawn white oak plank (80" X 12" X 4") to be used as a rustic mantle for a fireplace. It will be green. I;m sure it is going to be awhile but, my question is - How long will I have to let it dry out before putting any type of stain or finish on it?

Thanks,
Jim

Dennis Peacock
04-19-2006, 5:44 PM
Normally....it's 1 year per inch of thickness. Make sure you seal the ends to help prevent checking and cracking during the drying process.

Steve Clardy
04-19-2006, 6:13 PM
Yes. One year per inch. Anything over 4", add another year.
Or was it over 3" add a year. Hmm

Jim Tobias
04-19-2006, 10:02 PM
I understand that if I needed it to be completely dry it would take that long
(2 or 3 years). But , if I did not mind some surface cracking, etc. (rustic look?), could I not put some stain on it after a few months. How would the wood react to the stain?

Tom Clevenger
04-19-2006, 10:50 PM
Hi Jim

Sounds like that is going to be a big mantle. I don't know how well it will stain and finish but why don't you try a piece. It sounds like you are getting this custom milled. Ask for a few scraps or buy another piece and try different stains/finishes on it.

A neighbor recently cut up some white oak into 3-4" slabs and they are drying in the shed. I took a few pieces into the shop where it is heated. I tried to seal the ends with paint but they already have checks in the surface. I suspect it from drying too fast.

I would be concerned with movement as well as warping while drying inside a house. It could twist and something that big, you wouldn't be able to stop it.

Just my .02

Tom

Ian Abraham
04-20-2006, 2:04 AM
I agree that a piece of oak that size is going to take a few years to dry, and it's going to crack and check to some degree. But you did say rustic ;)
Once the surface of the wood is reasonably dry (a few months) you should be OK to stain and apply oil type finishes. The wood will still move and check, but that wont affect a light oil finish. Just keep applying it as needed.

Cheers

Ian

Bill Fields
04-20-2006, 2:32 AM
I once built a massive 8' x 3' trestle table out of 3" green oak w/o any provision for drying.

It took over 5 years for it to settle down to a reasnable stability.

One would not believe the curves and twists that developed. A plate would slide downhill.

This thing weighed over 400#.

I'm Learning!

BILL

lou sansone
04-20-2006, 6:24 AM
I understand that if I needed it to be completely dry it would take that long
(2 or 3 years). But , if I did not mind some surface cracking, etc. (rustic look?), could I not put some stain on it after a few months. How would the wood react to the stain?

my whole post and beam shop was made from green red and white oak and was stained within 12 months of sawing. Yes it did check, but the stain was fine.
lou

Jim Tobias
04-20-2006, 5:49 PM
Thanks to all for responses. I don't mind it checking and cracking some, I just want to be able to stain or oil it in a year or less. It sounds like it will become VERY rustic over time , but that is OK.
Thanks again,

Jim