PDA

View Full Version : Help with wood prices

Tim Clark
04-19-2006, 4:48 PM
I'm in Maine (Bangor) and would like to hear from anyone especially in the NE region.

I came across some rough lumber at a discount/surplus store (Marden's for you Maineiacs) and the prices seemed pretty good.

8/4" Euro Cherry
and
5/4" Mahogany

Both in various widths and fairly flat/straight.

Both "select or better" according to the sign and priced at $3/bf.

I bought some of the Cherry a couple months ago and am very happy with it. But being a raw newbie I just don't know what stuff should cost.

So, for northern NE, a good price?

Thanks IA,

Andy Hoyt
04-19-2006, 5:07 PM
Hi Tim! I'm just down the pike from you a bit (near Waterville). I'd be very suspect of any lumber from those guys since most of their stuff comes from questionable sources. It's inexpensive for a reason.

But for comparison purposes check these guys out. Look for the link to the Specials Page at the bottom. It has cherry and mahogany listed. Any order over $250 gets a free delivery (plus a small "fuel cost" surcharge). I use 'em whenever I can as the lumber is always top drawer quality.

http://www.mainecoastlumber.com/

Tim Clark
04-19-2006, 5:25 PM
Thanks Andy.

Actually Dave (Marden) is a friend of mine and I know he gets stuff from all over. So far though the EC I got is good stuff that I'm going to use on my kitchen cab doors and some other furniture on the drawing board.

I agree completely though that you gotta go in with open eyes on some of this stuff. The EC btw, was highly recomended by a local cabinet maker and he thought it was a great deal. I don't know anything about that guy though so a couple grains of salt are very much in order.

Thanks again,

Don Bergren
04-19-2006, 7:51 PM
Great link Andy. It's real nice to find a source that delivers. I'll be keeping those folks in mind.

Andy Hoyt
04-19-2006, 8:24 PM
Hey! This must be an exclusive Downeast thread. About time.

Where are you located, Don?

Tim Clark
04-20-2006, 10:52 AM
I agree there. Not enough New Englanders here.

BTW, I'll be cruising through your area on the way to Togus Fri AM (colonoscopy:eek: , woohoo). I'll honk the horn on the way by. And YES, I definately want this one behind me.:D

I still didn't exactly get an answer to my original Q though.

$3/bf for SAB Euro Cherry and Mahogany?

Again I've bought wood there before and its been good to work with. Ya just gotta pick through the pile (kinda like at the BORG).

Jeff Singleton
04-20-2006, 8:44 PM
The price is fair for S&B but remember that you will not be getting anything over 5" wide and 8 ft. long. Most will be in the 4-5" range and around 7' long. Color should be good on one side but not both. I bought 160 of 5/4 S&B cherry and I knew what I was buying. It came in at 7 1/2' x 5" and good one side. I was a happy camper and it was only $2.34 per board ft., but that was a show price after the Air Works Auction and Buckeye Expo in Kidron,OH. Hope it works out for you.

Jeff Singleton:)