PDA

View Full Version : Hello and suggestions needed

Floyd Rogers
04-19-2006, 11:55 AM
Hello All,

I have been working on 2 projects for my SIL. These are a present for catering my daughters wedding. I am very new to woodworking, so I need some advice. The box is red oak and cherry. Not sure I like the legs/feet but I needed to hide a mistake. LOML wants me to add brass hinges and clasp, OK any other suggestions? Also says it is to plain, wants a decorative carving on top. Ideas? I did some test pieces with BLO and love the way the cherry came out but it is a big contrast. What else would you recommend? The blanket chest is pine, not finished, SIL wants it this way. I am thinking of adding a base molding but SIL & LOML like it as is.
All critiques are welcome.
Floyd

Floyd Rogers
04-19-2006, 12:50 PM
Sorry was reading instructions to post pics. Will repost to correct forum.
Floyd

Steve Clardy
04-19-2006, 3:27 PM
Welcome Floyd!!

Bob Johnson2
04-19-2006, 7:28 PM
Might try a leg/base arraingment similiar to this one, I did similiar and really like the way it came out. I'd post a pic but I'm not at home. I rabitted the top edge of the base and set the box down ito the base about a 1/4" You could try some chip carving on the lid although curly cherry might be a bit tricky. A rosette of sorts would suffice. Pick up one of Wayne Burtons Books, it's not hard to do. Might even go with a store bought inlay routed into the top, I've done a couple and they're not too difficult. If you leave enough of the curly alone it'd probably look pretty cool.http://www.cigarhumidors-online.com/cigar-humidors/enlarged/versailleCLOSED.jpg

Floyd Rogers
04-21-2006, 8:37 AM
Bob,
I like your suggestion on the base. If I go with this idea what is the best way to remove the legs I have glued on, TitebondII? Also think I will not do anything to the lid.
Floyd