PDA

View Full Version : Woodfast Info Needed

Jim VanBramer
04-19-2006, 11:36 AM
Good morning guys! I've decided to take that fatal step and get into turning :eek: and I've been busy researching lathes. Yesterday I came across a used Woodfast M408H (about 10 yrs old) that's been outfitted with variable speed/reversible. The problem is I can't seem to come up with much of anything in the way of information on it. Can anyone out there enlighten me at all??? :confused: Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Jim V

Dennis Peacock
04-19-2006, 12:11 PM
Woodfast is a good lathe. I know two local turners that have Woodfast lathe and they both are very good turners and they both bought them "used". IMHO? They are very nice lathes.

Jim VanBramer
04-19-2006, 10:06 PM
Anybody besides Dennis have an opinion on these lathes, or am I making a mistake even considering them??? Come on guys ... there's usually no shortage of opinions around here! ;)

Jim

byron constantine
04-19-2006, 11:42 PM
Did'nt rikon and woodfast come together? I would like to find a used woodfast myself.
Byron

Tony Sizemore
04-20-2006, 1:48 AM
Yes they did. I was doing some research on the woodfast and just found that out. I do know of a guy in my area that has an older one and loves it.

John Hart
04-20-2006, 6:58 AM
Here's an opinion from someone who knows nothing. I surfed around and looked for reviews and negative opinions. I was surprised that I didn't find anything negative. There's usually SOMEONE who has something bad to say...but not in this case. Looks like a good investment.:)

Mike Wilkins
04-20-2006, 10:13 AM
Craft Supplies sold them at one time; not sure if they still do. I recently got a used Woodfast with the short (16") bed, variable speed. With all the other work going on in my shop, I have not had the time to turn a lot, but it is one nice machine.
When I first got it, it did not want to run. After contacting Craft Supplies and
sending the electronic speed control box to their tech rep for repair, it has run like a swiss watch. Found the circuit board was bad. They are a great resource for service, parts, and they even sent me an owners manual with diagram, free of charge.
Good luck and watch those shavings.

Paul Douglass
04-20-2006, 10:35 AM
Found a picture of one at this site:
http://www.woodturnerssocietyofqld.com/id4.html

Is that what the one you are getting looks like? Saw lots of good comments one them on the internet like John says.