PDA

View Full Version : Tried To Save This One

Glenn Hodges
04-19-2006, 8:47 AM
I will be the first to admit I still make holes in the bottom of a bowl every now and then, well I do. This chestnut wood is so difficult to acquire I decided to try and save it. I added a piece of wood(?) that was simular in grain and color to the bottom, drilled out the hole larger, and inbedded this thing in the new hole, then filled it with epoxy. After curing I resanded around the new addition, and then buffed the entire bowl and sprayed with multiple coats of lacquer. Let me know if you think I waisted my time because I value your comments.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-19-2006, 8:55 AM
Glenn.......if that's a waste of time?..........No Glenn........based on your posts........I'm wasting time and money......You, my friend, are showing some beautiful pieces of turning! Excellent recovery ...........excellent idea........Excellent turning!

John Hart
04-19-2006, 9:22 AM
Yup....nice surprise at the bottom of the bowl. Great idea Glenn. I like it.:)

Mark Cothren
04-19-2006, 9:24 AM
Well, I think you would have loved to have kept the hole out of it... and I think I would have liked it better... BUT... you did an EXCELLENT job on this save and there is no way it was wasted time. It's very unique, and I really like and appreciate that.

Great work, Glenn!

Jim Davenport
04-19-2006, 9:33 AM
Glenn; You goofed!! You shouldn't have said anything. :rolleyes:
That came out beautiful. I love N E stuff. The Arrowhead in the bottom really sets it off. I love it.

George Conklin
04-19-2006, 9:40 AM
That is an incredible save there, Glenn! Simply gorgeous work, as we have come to expect from you;) .

Paul Douglass
04-19-2006, 10:24 AM
Really looks cool! Now if it was sitting on a table or something with a couple of HF that had Native American design in them.... well WOW!

Bernie Weishapl
04-19-2006, 11:02 AM
Glenn that is a beautiful recovery. That is a nice looking bowl.

Keith Burns
04-19-2006, 11:39 AM
Glenn, that is a great save ! You just can't throw something that beautiful away. The only thing I would have done different, and this is subjective, would be to have turned the arrowhead 90 deg. to run with the grain. But again thats just me. If you decide it was a waste of time or you don't like it you can always send it to me:D :)

Mike Ramsey
04-19-2006, 2:19 PM
Nice save Glen! Out of the hundreds of ways to save it that
I could think of, that's not one of them! It's a nice suprise
seeing the arrow head in the clear epoxy....did I say hundreds?
I meant tens of ways! :) .

Glenn Hodges
04-19-2006, 3:07 PM
THE REST OF THE STORY......A woman came by today and bought 6 bowls, this was the first bowl she put in the pile to buy. The arrowhead/ chestnut bowl has left the building, odd that the first person that looked at it bought it. As always I appreciate your comments.

Mark Cothren
04-19-2006, 3:14 PM
Glenn, that is SUPER!!! Congratulations!

Bruce Shiverdecker
04-19-2006, 3:35 PM
The arrowhead makes it VERY unique..............Definitely NOT a waste of time!

Just MHO.

Bruce

BTE, Glenn...........was it you that stated that you signed a piece with an "Arcive" pen or something of that sort? I've been having a hart time finding something that will give me a crisp signature and thought this might be just the ticket.

Thanks, Beuce

Glenn Hodges
04-19-2006, 5:47 PM
Yes Bruce, that is what I use. It was recommended by Nick Cook in one of his demos. I use the 05 archive pen, and sometimes the 01 also. I find it at most craft stores, but the cheapest ones are at Walmart which I find work just as well as the expensive ones. Nick said they will last forever, and he recommended we should write small. I hope this has been helpful.

Bruce Shiverdecker
04-19-2006, 6:49 PM
Thanks.............I'll see if I can locate one here.

Bruce

Jim Ketron
04-19-2006, 7:02 PM
Looks Like lemons to lemonade to me;)
Awesome save!

Randy Meijer
04-19-2006, 10:32 PM
Nice job; but............I would have made the hole oval to mimic the grain in the bowl and would have rotated the arrowhead 90° to match the long axis of the oval.