PDA

View Full Version : More Compressor Questions

Steve Braman
04-19-2006, 8:09 AM
I have waded through the past postings on compressors and have learned a bit but still not sure what I should be looking for in my first compressor. I have decided that oil bath and cast iron are the way for me to go, but I still need to control the cost. This will be for a home shop and will see limited use at this point. I have a few near term projects including baseboards and cabinet crown which I think would be cleaner with a gun. I could borrow a friends compressor and nailers, but I have been given permission to buy something that will always find another use.

I am considering the Eaton Contractor Compressor with Roll Cage.

http://www.eatoncompressor.com/catalog/item/733537/1710502.htm

It seems like more compressor than you can get for equivalent money elsewhere, plus they have a full 2 year warranty. They say the unit is good for 6.5 CFM @ 40 psi and 5.5 CFM at 90 psi and claim to be truthful about their output. This appears to be in the range for some HVLP guns that are listed at Grizzly. Is this reasonable? I am not planning on spraying yet, but would not want to rule it out.

Any thoughts would be great. I realize you have gone down this road a few times, but I didn't really find the answer in past posts. Thanks

tod evans
04-19-2006, 8:43 AM
steve, i just looked at their site and the unit you mention. that compressor should have no problem with nail guns but for any more than intermitant use with a spray gun you should plan on going bigger. if i where in your shoes and just starting on the pneumatic road i`d buy a small unit like you linked with the understanding that it will soon be used as an install compressor. once you start using some of the air tools on the market like sanders, drills, grinders, drivers, ect. you`ll be needing more air. so look at this as an entry unit that`ll do well for carrying around to various jobs and start saving for a shop compressor.....02 tod

Tyler Howell
04-19-2006, 8:53 AM
I have the Bosche twin tank modal for the shop. Very handy especially when you have to hall it.
Picking up a new gloat this weekend:rolleyes: .
Watch these pages for details and pix:D

Allen Bookout
04-19-2006, 11:56 AM
Steve,

I have been through this for years. Have owned compressor that were too small except for the smallest of task. Just threw my money away on those units. If I had just spent a little more money and got a decent size compressor to start with I would have had enough air and saved money in the long run.

Here is what I would do. Either:

1. Borrow my friends set up and save enough to buy something like the Tractor Supply Company's Ingersoll Rand 15 amp 60 gallon 11.3 CFM @ 90 PSI single stage for about $550 or the Home Depots 7 HP Peak (just remember you are not getting 7 HP and you will be OK) 11.7/10.3 SCFM @ 40/90 60 Gal unit for $429 or whatever simular unit that you can find for a better price.

Or.

2. If you need it now and do not have the funds, get the Home Depot unit for no payments or interest for six months and save enough to pay it off before the free period is up.

Or

3. Look for a larger used unit.

Or (and the least economical answer in my opinion).

4. Buy the unit that you are looking at realizing that it is not going to do what you will want to do in the future and that you are going to have to spend extra later on.

I just know that it is hard to get out of the "too small of a unit syndrome" once you are there.

Good Luck! Allen

Don Baer
04-19-2006, 12:02 PM
I have the Boshe twin tank modal for the shop. Very handy especially when you have to hall it.
Picking up a new gloat this weekend:rolleyes: .
Watch these pages for details and pix:D

Is it mustard or Mayo and does it spin things...:D

Rsistance is futile, you will be assimilated.

Steve Braman
05-10-2006, 7:51 AM
I ordered the Eaton compressor a few weeks ago and met the UPS guy in the driveway. I gasped as I saw him rolling the box out of the truck. "Got a heavy one today, huh?" Needless to say it was damaged. I called Matt at Eaton and he said they would get a new one right out to me. Well it came yesterday. I found it inside my 7' locked fence behind the house. Apparently the UPS guy jumped the fence, unlocked it, rolled it in, relocked the fence and jumped out again. Not too happy with the boys in Brown. "It was unlocked and I closed it behind me and must have locked itself." Simply impossible, only can be locked from inside.

Well I opened the box and it looked like it had a few minor scratches and dings. I called Matt back to find out if it was a reconditioned unit. He said he was going to call me and let me know it was from their showroom floor and offered me a discount but still included the full 2 year warranty. It runs great and seems like it will fit my current and near future needs.

Sorry for the long winded ramble, but thought I would share a good customer service experience.

Still hate UPS!