PDA

View Full Version : The Finalists Of The Old Geezers Goblet Contest

John Hart
04-19-2006, 7:10 AM
First off, I'd like to thank everyone for participating in this contest. Personally, I've learned a lot and seen some great innovations. Even the pieces that didn't make the Finals were wonderfully done. Thank You!!!:)

All of SMC is welcome to vote of course. Only one vote per member. Choose carefully. I know it is going to be a difficult choice. Your comments are welcome!!!:) :)

This poll will close in 24 hours

John Hart
04-19-2006, 7:21 AM
Apple wood goblet. 7" tall, 2 3/16" at the widest part of the cup, and the stem 3/16" at the narrow spot. That 'design opportunity' in the center of the cup is really a screw up from trying to adjust the tool rest with the lathe running. It slid into the cup making a divot. This is finished with some Hut friction polish. Apple is nice wood for something like this. It turns like butter.

John Hart
04-19-2006, 7:22 AM
Entry #2: 3"H x 1.75"D.
Made out of black palm. This stuff should come with a warning label, because I'm pretty sure it's intended for turners a bit further up the learning curve that I am: it has some of the same odd variable-hardness and brittleness that I so deeply despise in zebrawood

John Hart
04-19-2006, 7:22 AM
The chunk John sent was actually considerably bigger than the finished size, and I attribute the loss in size to having way too much fun roughing it. She's about 8½ inches tall and 6½ inches wide. The vessel portion is mostly 1/8th inch thick but gets a bit thicker down towards the bottom. It has three coats of Arm-R-Seal and was then buffed ala Beall

John Hart
04-19-2006, 7:23 AM
It is Poplar and measures 7" tall and about 2-3/4" diameter

John Hart
04-19-2006, 7:24 AM
Well here is my entry into Mr. Fitzgerald/Hart goblet contest. Or should it be Old Geezer/Horsey Hart contest. It is ash and walnut. Came out pretty good for my first one ever

John Hart
04-19-2006, 7:24 AM
Here's a walnut goblet made from a scrap of walnut from a peepermill blank. Does 64 qualify as an old geezer?

John Hart
04-19-2006, 7:25 AM
This one is Zebrawood with a 60/40 split of heartwood and sapwood.
6 1/4" tall, 1 7/8 diameter with a couple interlocked captive rings. The cup is about the size of a shot glass

John Hart
04-19-2006, 7:26 AM
Here is the second entry that I will make. The piece is made of Elm and is 6 1/2 inches tall. The goblet is 2 1/2 half inches wide at the mouth and the stem is about 3/16 inches wide at the bottom of the goblet. As you can probably guess this one got whiplash before it was done also. It is finished with sanding sealer right now and I will wait a couple of days before I put the finish on it

John Hart
04-19-2006, 7:27 AM
I've always wanted to learn to make captive rings so I've been practicing with a new tool I made for parting them off. This is Zebrawood with two captive rings, interlocked. 6.75" x 1.75"

John Hart
04-19-2006, 7:28 AM
Well here is my last entry into the old geezer and goblet contest. This one is made of Silver Maple and is 7 3/4 inches tall. the Mouth is 2 inches wide and the small part of the stem is 3/16 inches wide. The rins at the bottom have been interlocked and I call this a wedding cup because as people are married they become interlocked as the rings are. I hope this is enough form this old geezer because I need to turn some bowl blanks and boil them today

Paul Douglass
04-19-2006, 10:49 AM
Man OH MAn, that is a tougher choice than the American Idol choice!!

Can it be a tie???

John Miliunas
04-19-2006, 11:09 AM
Gee, and I thought the first round was tough!!! :eek: :) :cool:

Keith Burns
04-19-2006, 11:31 AM
Can it be a tie???

No, it MUST be a goblet !:D

(sorry, I could'nt resist)

Dick Strauss
04-19-2006, 11:50 AM
I know it isn't a category but my vote(s) for wildest entries go to Lee and Curt #1 (zebra heart/sapwood).

Mike Ramsey
04-19-2006, 2:08 PM
Those are some fine looking goblets!!! But if I have to vote for just
one then it has to be..............

Andy Hoyt
04-19-2006, 5:16 PM
MEMO
To: ----- Board of Elections
Subj: --- Transfer of votes

Sirs, The Great State of Maine hereby pledges all votes cast in its favor to the Honorable Mr. Burns of Tennessee.

John Hart
04-19-2006, 5:46 PM
MEMO
To: ----- Board of Elections
Subj: --- Transfer of votes

Sirs, The Great State of Maine hereby pledges all votes cast in its favor to the Honorable Mr. Burns of Tennessee.

To: Mr Andy Hoyt
re: Transfer of Votes

Thank you for your generous offer. The Board of Elections will file your request and route through the appropriate channels for processing. You can expect to receive a questionaire from our office in 4 to 6 weeks to help us better understand your request. Please fill out this form so that we can serve you better. Your questionaire will be reviewed by our staff as expeditiously as possible. There may be a delay, based on the number of other requests present, vacations, smoke breaks, and other interruptions that may occur.

Thank you again for contacting the Board of Elections.

Sincerely,
The Board of Elections Guy.

Bob Noles
04-19-2006, 6:22 PM
John.... Andy.....

Would y'all mind staying away from the laquer until the polls close? :D

John Hart
04-19-2006, 8:50 PM
John.... Andy.....

.....(hic):o :)

Andy Hoyt
04-19-2006, 11:02 PM
John.... Andy.....

.....(cup):o :)

Ken Fitzgerald
04-19-2006, 11:05 PM
This is Ken in Idaho......Just looking down.....Shaking his head....:confused: :p