PDA

View Full Version : Finish air nailers

Paul Downes
08-23-2003, 7:24 PM
Looking to buy my first finish air nailer and thought that there might be an opinion or two on the which and why of your favorite brand. I will be installing some new doors and lots of trim in the house and thought that the wife might appreciate the lack of hammer dings in the wood.

markus shaffer
08-23-2003, 8:38 PM
Paul,

I used a Paslode Impulse Nailer for years and was pretty happy with it all around. Main problem was getting extra o-rings for it. I had one bust and could not order directly from the company which was sort of annoying. I can get it locally, but it was pretty far out of the way and the local distributer took 2 weeks to get one. Last year I got a Senco 18 guage nail gun and have been very impressed with it. I have had no problems and have since bought their 23 guage pin nailer. I have also been happy with the pin nailer and plan to get a crown stapler and a framing nailer from Senco in the future.

-Markus

Jeff Cybulski
08-23-2003, 8:44 PM
Paul - I have the Porter Cable DA250B (angled, 15g nailer) - works great. Bought it to put up crown last year. Never had a problem. The depth of drive is easy to adjust and with a 15g nail it holds. I paid $175 at Lowes (05/02) and it's been worth every penny. Whatever one you go with use Senco nails.

Jeff

Kevin Gerstenecker
08-23-2003, 8:48 PM
Paul,

I like the Senco Finish Nailer I have. I bought the FP41XP, and have been very happy with it. It is very lightweight, yet still well built and sturdy. It has the angled magazine, which makes it easy to get into those tight spots. It shoots 1 1/4" to 2 1/2" 15 gauge nails. Like Markus, I also have the Senco Micro Pinner, and it is a great gun also. While Senco is not the cheapest, I think their products are a good value for the money. I have had no jams from either of the Senco Nailers, which is a plus.

Joe Breid
08-23-2003, 9:33 PM
Paul,
I have an 18 gauge Porter Cable that takes up to 1 1/4 inch nails. I have had it over three years now and it has never jammed.

joe

Phil Phelps
08-23-2003, 9:39 PM
...when you decide on the finish nailer you like best, check out the nail supply. Be sure that the nails are abundant and constantly in supply. Several places sell the guns, but don't supply the nails. Makes it frustrating if the "convenient store" doesn't supply the nails.

Jim Young
08-23-2003, 10:26 PM
I'm no nailer expert but I can tell you my PC FN250 has worked great for my first nailer. It will use 16ga nails from 5/8" to 2 1/2". I've used it for trim work and as it happens today for wood flooring. It's about three years old and as good as the day I bought it.

Jim Young
08-23-2003, 10:26 PM
Oh ya, and the nails are available at the local big box store.

Paul Kunkel
08-23-2003, 10:30 PM
Looking to buy my first finish air nailer and thought that there might be an opinion or two on the which and why of your favorite brand. I will be installing some new doors and lots of trim in the house and thought that the wife might appreciate the lack of hammer dings in the wood.

Paul, (good name!) 1. Senco 2. If you can find a used one you'll save $$$ and the rebuild kits make 'em like new. I bought a used SFN1 13 years ago and have shot probably 1/2 million nails. Still works!
3. 18g is too light to hold well for door frames & trim
4, sources for used - air repair shops, rental, Senco dealers, pawn

Von Bickley
08-23-2003, 10:31 PM
Paul,

My favorite nail gun would be the Senco. If I couldn't afford the Senco, I would go with the Porter Cable.

Byron Trantham
08-23-2003, 10:34 PM
I own a Craftsman 18 ga nailer, a Craftsman 1/4" crown stapler and a PC FN250 15 ga nailer. All three have been a pleasure to own. I am sure that no matter what you buy you will be very happy with air nailing. Note - they do not require much for air, however, I would buy the biggest, baddest compressor you can afford because you will probably want to get into spraying as well.

Jerry Solomon
08-24-2003, 9:21 AM
I have a Paslode Impulse nailer also. The gas cartridges are a little expensive for occasional use but not having to drag a hose around is GREAT!! The nails are available at my local HD. I've never had it fail to operate.

Dar Lounsbury
08-24-2003, 7:33 PM
I agree with Phil. Unless the nails are easily available, the savings on any gun is lost. Myself, I prefer Senco. Nails, parts and service available almost anywhere. People seem to have good luck with the Porter Cable line also. In my area, Bostich, Paslode and others are available but the nails can be had only from one vendor miles away. If they are out, you wait. Will your customer?