PDA

View Full Version : Pleasant Surprise

Bernie Weishapl
04-18-2006, 10:44 PM
Well I had a pleasant surprise last night. As some of you know I work for the Federal Aviation Admin. along the a few others on here including Tyler "The Pink Thong" Howell . Well I had a gentleman came up last night to look over a radar site for me. We were eating supper and found out that Eddie Watkins who had come up from Oklahoma City to do this was a SMC'er. I didn't put 2 and 2 together till he said he liked my work. I said what work and he said the stuff on SMC. Anyway Eddie and I had a nice visit both last night at supper and again this morning over breakfast. Found out Eddie has a 16" Delta lathe. Of course I am 165 miles from home and no camera. Oh well, we had a nice visit and a lot of talk about woodworking. It was really nice sitting down and talking shop with another SMC'er.

Tyler Howell
04-18-2006, 10:53 PM
Creekers where you find them;) .
I''ve talked to Eddie on he phone. Official business only:rolleyes: .
I'll have you know that thong is a shop tool:mad: .
Tutorial to follow.:D

Bernie Weishapl
04-18-2006, 11:04 PM
LOL:D Tyler I wondered how long it would take you to catch me. Eddie is a nice guy and we did have a wonderful visit. Talked a lot of woodworking. How you doing up there in Minnesota Tyler? Still spreading hate and discontent? I didn't realize till Eddie and I started comparing notes how many FAA'ers are on SMC.

Jeff Sudmeier
04-19-2006, 8:41 AM

EWWWWWWWW!!!!!

Paul Douglass
04-19-2006, 10:42 AM

SOMEONE HAS GOT TO START SENSORING THESE THREAD! The picture of that just shot my day all to #@##!!:eek:

Ed Breen
04-19-2006, 11:51 AM
I'd like to thank all you FAA'ers! Several months ago I lost my license which was a dogeard hunk opf paper dated 1971. Well, I wrote to Oklahoma City and spl;ained my problem and lo and behold I now have a lovely license in non dog earing plastic. The art work is swell, and I'm quite proud of it.
Thanks
Ed:) :)

Rich Stewart
04-19-2006, 5:26 PM
How 'bout that? I, too, am an FAA'er. Atlantic City. The William Hughes Tech Center. I put gas in their airplanes. Flightline.

Bernie Weishapl
04-19-2006, 6:09 PM
Rich I am a supervisor now. I had been a electronic tech for 23 yrs. before that with the FAA. I supervise the western 1/3 of Kansas now and have 12 tech's under me.

Eddie Watkins
04-20-2006, 1:34 PM
Bernie,
it was a great visit. You are right about the thong. Tyler and I didn't talk about the thong when we were talking "official business." That picture makes me squirm every time I see it.:eek:
I want to go on record as a pure beginner in the turning world. I have turned a few items but nothing significant, mostly bowls for LOML. She always appreciates them regardless of the quality. I can post some pictures but I don't think anybody here will be impressed, we are talking really basic and not very good. I learned more about turning from Bernie the other night than I have in a year of trying.

Rich,
I used to go to the Tech Center 2-3 times a year but haven't in a couple of years. If I get back that way I'll be sure to let you know.

Eddie

Bernie Weishapl
04-20-2006, 2:01 PM
Hey Eddie. It was a great visit. If you want to turn bowls get Bill Grumbine's video on bowl turning. It will give you a excellent foundation. He shows you everything from cutting the log to finishing. Anyway glad to see ya made it back to OKC. Talk to you later.

Tyler Howell
04-20-2006, 3:20 PM
[quote=Bernie Weishapl]Hey Eddie. It was a great visit. If you want to turn bowls get Bill Grumbine's video on bowl turning. It will give you a excellent foundation. He shows you everything from cutting the log to finishing. quote]
I get to meet the man himself tomorrow:D . It's a personal test to prove I can resist Spin Meth.:D :D :p

I keep telling you that the thong is a vital tool for the shop.
Lesson plans complete. Pictures to follow.;)

Andy Hoyt
04-20-2006, 3:31 PM
I've spent the better part of the last couple of months doing what Ken does. Sit with elbows on knees, looking at the floor, and shaking my head. But since I never do anything for just one reason - while I was doing the Ken-thing, I was also trying to envision what benefit a thong had in a woodturning studio, much less a woodworking shack.

And then it hit me.

Applying the finish to HFs. Let your mind wander and ponder that for a spell (while it's down in the gutter with Ty) and all will be revealed.:D

Bernie Weishapl
04-20-2006, 4:04 PM
ROFLOL:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Andy I need a new keyboard.:D

Frank Chaffee
04-20-2006, 6:16 PM
Well people,
Personally I don’t have preconceived expectations of His Thongness’ thongness, but I will carry a camera and duly report back to you all with the requisite pics next week after meeting with the diverse (sorry, only polite descriptive term that comes to mind), crowd of Creekers in LaCrosse Friday nite.
Frank