PDA

View Full Version : First Project - Video Game Cabinet - PICS

Lewis Lamb
04-18-2006, 11:30 AM
I built this a couple years ago, but just got a digital camera of my own (instead of having to borrow the neighbors') and got around to taking a few pics. This was my first "woodworking" project (as opposed to carpentry, etc.) - a cabinet for my kids' Nintendo 64 video console and accessories. Little did I know at the time that in 2 years the fascination would go from Nin64 to Gamecube to xBox (neither of which fits very well into this box). Anyway, the box is made of 1/2" plywood; the drawers are poplar. I handcut the dovetails (my first ones); while they needed some patching here and there with some wood slivers, I actually thought they turned out o.k. for a first effort.

Mark Rios
04-18-2006, 12:02 PM
Nice idea Lewis and nice job. Any way to modify it to fit the other game consoles?

And welcome to the creek.

Lewis Lamb
04-18-2006, 3:40 PM
I don't think I can modify it to fit - the GameCube is too tall for the lid to close, and the X-box is a little too wide. Besides, there are so many games now, along with extra controllers, etc., for them to all fit. So, I think I'm going to turn this cabinet into a cordless tool station. I've got 14.4 Dewalt drill and a 12v B&D impact driver that will each fit in the two lower drawers, so I'll put the chargers and extra batteries on the top shelf, the drivers in the bottom, and use the small drawer for bits, etc.

I am going to build another cabinet for the game stations, which will be big enough to hold everything, and it will incorporate a very, very important design feature -- a latch that I can put a padlock on. Then, when the games go "off-limits" (an unfortunately too frequent occurrence), instead of picking up the game box and transporting it my closet for safekeeping, I can just leave it in place and lock it down ... until attitudes and report cards return to appropriate levels.