PDA

View Full Version : IOWA: Suggested locations for a visit

Ken Shoemaker
04-18-2006, 8:16 AM
I'm heading to the Mason City and/or Decorah this morning. I was looking for suggestions on possible woodworking related stops in the area.

I'm interested Frank Lloyd Wright so I'll be sure to see the hotel in Mason City.

Anything would be great.

Thank you in advance....

Ken

Larry Klaaren
04-18-2006, 8:24 AM
The Bily Brother's clock museum in Spillville, Iowa isn't very far from Decorah. The building was also the American home of Antonin Dvorak, the composer.

This is a paste from the web page . . http://www.bilyclocks.org/

"Beginning in 1913, the brothers employed the idle hours of long winter days and evenings with their skills of woodcarving. Being farmers and carpenters, they carved only as a hobby while still doing their regular chores and maintaining a well kept farm. In 1915 and 1916, they built the Apostle Clock from which the Twelve Apostles appear on the hour. During the period on 1923-1927, the Bily Brothers added their masterpiece to the collection, The American Pioneer History Clock. A memorial clock to Charles Lindbergh was carved in 1928 commemorating his historic flight. In these beautiful artistically carved clocks the brothers have used woods from a number of foreign countries as well as numerous pieces of walnut, butternut, maple and oaks from North America."

I think you would really enjoy it, Ken.

Larry

Ray Petri
04-18-2006, 10:05 AM
I've been to the clock museum when the clockmakers were still alive and it was really something to see. I also highly recomend it.

Chris Rosenberger
04-18-2006, 11:26 AM
Last year there was alot of very nice furniture at Amana Colonies in Amana, IA
http://www.amanacolonies.com/artisans/index.html

Dave Richards
04-18-2006, 11:38 AM
Probably too late but Lime Springs isn't too far from Decorah. You could check out Hartzell Woodstock.

Dev Emch
04-18-2006, 1:37 PM
Isnt this a woodworking forum? Last I checked it was and no road trip would be complete without an indulgence into the toys of the trade. You need to check out the 5 acers of goodies on display in DesMoines at The Woodsmith Store.

Dave Richards
04-18-2006, 1:59 PM
Dev, that's a good suggestion but kind of a haul from Mason City and Decorah.

re: The Amana Furniture Factory, I have my grandmother's dining set which was made there around 1960. All solid cherry buffet, table and chairs. Cool thing is that if I wanted them, I can get more chairs to match. They still have the patterns. In fact two of the chairs needed repair which required the replacement of a turned spindle on the back. Other than the fact that new part doesn't show the minor dings and scratches from age, you can't tell they aren't original.

I thought of another place to check out and that is the Vesterheim Museum in Decorah. Interesting olden wooden stuff there.

Larry Klaaren
04-18-2006, 2:39 PM
If you over the Minnesota border a few miles from Decorah, there are several Amish communities. I used to do some vet work for some cabinetmakers. I know a few years ago they had at least one shop along the interstate in St. Charles that sold quilts and furniture. That's probably too far for you, but there may be some in the Decorah area, which is much closer to the southern communities. You might ask around.

Larry

Brad Townsend
04-18-2006, 3:37 PM
I spent four years in Decorah going to college. (In those days, most kids finished in four years.:D) Although I haven't been back to Decorah in many years, the Norwegian-American Museum is certainly worth a look. It was good then and I'm sure, even better today. Not confined to woodworking, but a lot of fine examples of old country and pioneer craftsmanship.

As mentioned earlier, Spillville is a must see.

Ken Shoemaker
04-20-2006, 4:39 PM
THANK YOU to all who responded.... I have just returned home and wanted to share this .

My interest has always been with Prairie style homes (most notably Frank Lloyd Wright) and furniture. I went to the hotel and bank in Mason City Iowa. While photographing the outside, Dr. Robert McCoy a retired area physician) pulled up out front and began removing a magnificent "laser-cut" balsa model if the building in it's original configuration. I struck up a conversation and he told me he is in the process of getting the building on the National registry and restoring the building to it's original splendor.

For the next hour Dr. McCoy was the most gracious host by taking me and my wife through the building on our own private guided tour. I was in heaven!!!!!

as our "tour" drew to a close Dr. McCoy said we might want to view the Stockman House, a Frank Lloyd Wright house, that has been restored, a few short blocks away. He said we could walk around the house but that tours will not be available till mid-may. He said we were welcome to "look in the windows" if we'd like, since we were there from so far away. Off we went to the Stockman House.

Upon arrival at the house we began looking in the windows. As I got to the front door, I found the door wide open. It appeared that no one was inside. Knowing Dr. McCoy said it wasn't open till May, and having been a police officer for many years, I called the police and had them come check it out. When hey entered the building they set off the burglar alarm. Guess who the keyholder was???!!!! Dr. McCoy again.

Dr. McCoy shook my hand with thanks at my efforts. He then took the time to invite my wife and I into the house on yet another private guided tour as his show of thanks.
Now that is a vacation!!!!! If you re ever in the Mason City Iowa area, I can't recommend enough on looking up Dr. McCoy. He is a most gracious host and very knowledgeable about the Prairie style.

Dr. Robert McCoy can be reached at www.stockmanhouse.org (http://www.stockmanhouse.org).

In closing, while I have no affiliation what so ever with the Stockman House I definitely recommend the tour.