PDA

View Full Version : Numb Hands.......?

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
04-18-2006, 7:21 AM
I've recently been told that a lot of turners get numb hands after a turning session, specifically the next morning when they wake up.

I've not done a lot of turning, but I've not had this experiance. As there is a large group of turners here, from all ages and even both genders, I'd be really interested to hear if anyone has had this problem and what they have done to overcome it, if anything.

Cheers!

John Hart
04-18-2006, 8:02 AM
A couple years ago, I got injured with a pinched nerve in my neck that numbed my arms and hands. It still flares up from time to time....Like a couple weeks ago. I found that it actually goes away when I Turn. Vortexatherapy??:)

Ken Fitzgerald
04-18-2006, 8:30 AM
Being an absolute rookie....numb hands are not a problem yet.............empty billfold.........now that's another problem........don't start a poll on that!:eek: :D

Tom Jones III
04-18-2006, 8:58 AM
Yes, but only from a sensitivity to mesquite. I tried mesquite again last night (mothers day present) but wearing gloves. I still got just a little numbness in one arm, I think some shavings got inside one glove. Tonight I'll try long sleeves and better gloves.

Jim Davenport
04-18-2006, 8:59 AM
Being an absolute rookie....numb hands are not a problem yet.............empty billfold.........now that's another problem........don't start a poll on that!:eek: :D
Boy, that's one of the great truths of life. ;)

Getting back on subject. I have "Osteoarthritis" in my fingers, and have to take Mobic for it. I guess my body is cashing the checks i wrote when I was young. I was in the Navy, and I spent long hours inside damp boilers, welding, grinding, etc.
If I turn for an extended period the vibration aggravates my finger joints.
So I turn for a bit, have a cup of coffee, and admire the fact the bowl is still in the chuck (most of the time):rolleyes:
Then turn a little more. Sharpen my tools, turn a little more, and so forth.

Mike Ramsey
04-18-2006, 9:09 AM
I have some problems with my hands from nerve damage to my
neck, but as John says turning actually helps, except this
morning I woke up and I was complaining to my wife about
my hands hurting and she responded No Wonder! You turned
3 bowls & a hollow form in your sleep last night! :p .

Curt Fuller
04-18-2006, 9:19 AM
So I turn for a bit, have a cup of coffee, and admire the fact the bowl is still in the chuck (most of the time):rolleyes:
Then turn a little more. Sharpen my tools, turn a little more, and so forth.

I shouldn't read things like that when I'm getting ready to walk out the door and head to work. Makes me want to call in sick, maybe tell them I have to go in for an emergency woodenectomy. I guess I could tell them I have a bad case of numb hands too. But they'd think it was progressing from my already serious case of numb skull.

I don't get numb hands very often but have had them get stiff and sore after turning when it's cold in the garage.

Jim Becker
04-18-2006, 9:32 AM
I used to have a problem after turning hollow forms with hand-held tools, but it all went away when I went to the captive system. (Jamison in my case) Since taking David Ellsworth's three day course, I don't put a "death grip" on my gouge, either, when turning bowls and the outsides of vessels, so no problems there, either.

It's how you hold 'em that makes a difference... ;)

Andy Hoyt
04-18-2006, 9:38 AM
My hands, my feet, and my head are numb just about all the time. Hands and feet feel better once I fire up the lathe. Have yet to find anything that will improve the condition upstairs.

Keith Burns
04-18-2006, 9:56 AM
Interesting question Stu. Never really thought about it until now. I have Carpel Tunnel and my hands stay numb (asleep) most of the time. After 5 minutes on the computer pushing the mouse around my hands numb. Go to bed had hands go numb. I've just learned to "suck it up". Now when I turn, you would think it would be bad, but after you made me think about it, it actually improves. Theraputic, I guess. Anyway thats what I'm going to start telling my wife. You know, Doctors orders.............:rolleyes:

04-18-2006, 10:00 AM
My hands, my feet, and my head are numb just about all the time. Hands and feet feel better once I fire up the lathe. Have yet to find anything that will improve the condition upstairs.

I thought double fudge, raspberry, triple cream, Kahlua, with nuts would just about clear any head...? :p :D

John Hart
04-18-2006, 10:02 AM
Interesting question Stu. Never really thought about it until now. I have Carpel Tunnel and my hands stay numb (asleep) most of the time. After 5 minutes on the computer pushing the mouse around my hands numb. Go to bed had hands go numb. I've just learned to "suck it up". Now when I turn, you would think it would be bad, but after you made me think about it, it actually improves. Theraputic, I guess. Anyway thats what I'm going to start telling my wife. You know, Doctors orders.............:rolleyes:

Have Chris Barton write you a prescription!!!;)

04-18-2006, 10:02 AM

Keith, have you looked at getting the knife work done?

I know some motorcycle racer guys who have had it done, and they say the diff is amazing, they only regret they did not do it sooner.

Cheers!

Rich Stewart
04-18-2006, 10:06 AM
Woodenectomy? Sounds painful.

David Fried
04-18-2006, 10:13 AM
Nope, no numb hands but when the temperature drops below 40 degrees or so I find the finger on my left hand that is in contact with the cold metal tool rest and holding the metal blade does go numb.

Nothing a hot coffee doesn't cure!

Lee DeRaud
04-18-2006, 10:15 AM
I have intermittent numbness in the hands, early mornings mostly, but it's not correlated to whether I've turned or done flatwork or just sat in front of the tube. I suspect it has more to do with age and early-life activities: hadn't even considered it until Stu brought it up, but I probably racked up 200K miles of street-bike riding before I gave it up. (And don't get me started on what dirt bikes did to my knees when I was much younger. :eek: )

Steve Hayes
04-18-2006, 11:56 AM
The only thing that hurts is my neck. I broke it about three years ago and all of the plates and screws start hurting a bit.

John Timberlake
04-18-2006, 12:52 PM
Don't get numb hands, but sometimes the elbows get sore. Turnersitis maybe. Seems to have gotten better over the years, so maybe I'm holding the tool so tight now.

Dennis Peacock
04-18-2006, 1:58 PM
Numbness can be generated from holding a turning tool far too tight. Remember, we are supposed to relax at the lathe and enjoy the experience. Strangeling your turning tools is not the answer to better turning skills.

Ease up and let your body do the turning....not just your hands. :D

Dick Strauss
04-19-2006, 11:37 AM
I found that running a chainsaw all day made my hands tingle for the next 12 hours or so but I've had no problem with turning. Recently I tackled a 4'x5'x30+' willow with my little 16in chainsaw. My saw ran all day to cube that sucker up.

FYI-My saw is older and doesn't have a vibration reducing chain or frame/handle.

Lee DeRaud
04-19-2006, 11:41 AM
Strangeling your turning tools is not the answer to better turning skills.Yeah, but sometimes they just deserve it.:eek: :mad:

Jim Becker
04-19-2006, 2:46 PM
Yeah, but sometimes they just deserve it.

Just think what they might be saying about "you"... ;)

Richard Jones
04-19-2006, 6:27 PM
I find that my hands get a bit numb at times, but it is almost always because I am trying to control the tool with sheer muscle. After I relax, no more numbness.

On a side note, it's interesting to realize that saloon owners were quick to cash in on the fact that their customers could consume more (i.e., spend more $$) if they had a nice foot rail about 6" from the floor. Less stress on the legs, feet and hips (read sciatic nerve here!), etc. I do this at home and it sure has helped.

I also do it at the lathe............ :)

Sure does help with the sciatica............

Richard Jones
Reporting LIVE from beautiful downtown Deatonville, VA