PDA

View Full Version : The temporary gloat?

Mark Singer
04-17-2006, 11:32 PM
Well one week ago I recieved my MiniMax FS 41 Elite S jointer/planer/ mortiser....I think it was the first delivered in the US of this new bigger model. So new that the guys at MiniMax didn't know what was coming.... I ordered the new 87" bed model with an electric /digital planer bed. What arrived was the corect model, but with a manual crank planner bed and no digital readout indicator. First they said I got what I ordered and after I found some old emails with the specs sent from MM...they said I was correct and a new machine was on the water and only 2 weeks away. The problem is that the electric bed is only available on 3 phase and I have single phase power. The solution is they will furnish me with a phase converter! Which gets me back to what I ordered. It is down to which phase converter....the model they have agreed to send me requires an extra disconnect at the unit. After talking to Larry Katz of Kay Industries...he suggested the "R" model which includes the disconnect in the unit. I am hoping that MiniMax will pay the extra $300 for that unit since I am in for much more electrical expense...unpackaging work and expense (I needed 2 helpers) and I have waited 4 months for a machine that is different than the one I ordered. I think they will do the right thing and get me the complete phase converter. I still will need to run anew circuit from the sub panel. One thing I must say, unlike many machine companies...they are responsive and seem willing to help...I will keep you updated on the customer service.
The Machine:
Solid...87" bed length..16" wide capacity....very smooth.(I am running it on a temp power circuit)...great Tersa Cutter head... The hand crank is low near the floor and I am looking forward to the electric bed. It is very nice in my modest shop that the footprint is compact for such a large machine...it takes less space than my DJ20 and Jet Planner..Since I am on temporary power, I really can't use this model until the electrician runs the new circuit and then he must come agin for the new machine and phase converter...
The saga continues.....

Ken Fitzgerald
04-17-2006, 11:37 PM
Good Luck with your customer service issues Mark! For that kind of money you should be treated well and receive what you ordered or treated very nicely or both.

Mark Rios
04-17-2006, 11:56 PM
All I can say is..............WHOA!!!

Ok, I'll say this too.....WTG Mark. Very, Very nice.

Don Baer
04-18-2006, 12:07 AM
mark,
Ya done good. If I can help ya with the electrics please feel free to contact me.

Don

Tim Armstrong
04-18-2006, 12:42 AM
That's some pretty awesome machinery. Congrats on the serious new tool. I look forward to hearing how it all works out with MM.

lou sansone
04-18-2006, 6:07 AM
hi mark
wow... very nice indeed.... I am sure it will be a great addition to your shop. best wishes and like the others have said, we are waiting for a report on its performance

lou

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
04-18-2006, 7:30 AM
Geez, that is one sweet machine!

I think the West coast just tipped a bit lower :D

Looks like a fantastic machine!

Cheers!

Brian Buckley
04-18-2006, 7:31 AM
Mark,
Congradulations on your new MM. I received my 410 Elite about a year ago. MM will do every thing they say and then some. You are going to enjoy the 16" capacity. Be sure to order the Euro guard.

Brian

tod evans
04-18-2006, 8:12 AM
nice score mark! the guys at mm are no trouble, never have heard anything but good. you`re gonna love the tersa head! .02 tod

Tyler Howell
04-18-2006, 8:14 AM
Great anchor for earth quakes and mud slides. I hear it's great for WW too:D .
Congrats Mark:cool:

John Miliunas
04-18-2006, 8:21 AM
Awesome, dude!!! :D I know it's been a long time in the works!!! Hopefully, MM will make everything good for you and worthy of such a long wait. :) Now, judging from the one picture, this Porsche of a J/P appears to be where your DJ20 and Jet planer used to live. Where in the heck did you put those two pieces???? :confused: :D :cool:

Paul B. Cresti
04-18-2006, 8:36 AM
Thats it time for an upgrade......yours has prettier buttons...but then what can you expect from a "Cali boy" ;)

Frank Pellow
04-18-2006, 8:41 AM
Mark, congratulations on your large jointer/planer. I wish you good luck at getting the electrical glitch sorted out.

Jim Becker
04-18-2006, 8:54 AM
Ya mon!! Now, that's a machine worthy of your incredible shop...a great view outside and now a great view inside!! :D :D

Congrats on the new J/P and I have no doubt that Sam and Jim and everyone else will take good care of you.

John A. Williams
04-18-2006, 9:42 AM
Mark, is there a DJ-20 for sale? Nice machine!

Chris Giles
04-18-2006, 9:54 AM
Mark,
Be careful! Now that you have three-phase, the sky's the limit on your machine purchases.:D

Mark Singer
04-18-2006, 10:00 AM
Mark, is there a DJ-20 for sale? Nice machine!

John,
Yes a Dj-20 and extra knives....and a Jet 15" Planner both in great shape. I may have an interested party...but send me a PM before he mentions it if your interested.

Dan Oliphant
04-18-2006, 10:21 AM
Wow, that thing is incredable! Does it sing to you also? That is indeed a gloat and then some.

Mark Valsi
04-18-2006, 11:54 AM
I have a nice walnut board 13 inches wide that needs planing !!

I'll bring it down and you can help me out and then we'll go to las brisas for lunch ! :D

Dan Stuewe
04-18-2006, 11:59 AM
I wish I could get in on the bidding war for that DJ-20! Sounds like when everything is settled you'll be one happy camper.

I have a nice walnut board 13 inches wide that needs planing !!

I'll bring it down and you can help me out and then we'll go to las brisas for lunch ! :D

With the weather turing nice, you better get there early! (although something tells me that Mark could get a table anywhere in Laguna anytime he wants. ;) )

Brent Harral
04-18-2006, 1:58 PM
Wow. That is one beautiful machine that surely will have been worth the wait! Congrats.

Bruce Page
04-18-2006, 2:43 PM
Mark, that is a beautiful addition to your “modest” shop! I’m not too impressed with the Blanchard grind on the infeed table though; can you feel the high points with your finger tips?

I’m sure that MM will do the right thing for you.

Jim Becker
04-18-2006, 2:48 PM
Mark, that is a beautiful addition to your “modest” shop! I’m not too impressed with the Blanchard grind on the infeed table though; can you feel the high points with your finger tips?

Bruce, I actually like the grind for this application 'cause when you get a wide board flat, it will "stick" to a smooth iron surface. The grind on the Mini Max J/P just let's it slide...

Charlie Plesums
04-18-2006, 3:19 PM
Congratulations, Mark. I love my 16 inch MM, and hear the new model is even "more." I'm sure you will enjoy yours.

I find that I switch knives often, since it is so fast and easy - use old ones for dirty rough lumber, newer HSS ones later in a project for "final" jointing and planing. One suggestion before you get too far along... Put a small magic marker spot on the "second" side of the Tersa knives... I put a dot on each end. That way when you switch knives, you know which edge is used, which is "new." Be sure to wear leather gloves...I have cut myself on those 16 inch dual sided razor blades every time I handled them without gloves.

Howard Rosenberg
04-18-2006, 3:31 PM
Hi Mark -
I'm sure they're going to do the right thing.
But it still won't hurt to clarify your assumptions.
It's not worth the frustration and aggro AFTER you get an invoice for what THEY figured should be chargeable.
HTH
Howard

Vaughn McMillan
04-18-2006, 5:27 PM
Mark, are you sure that thing's supposed to be used in the wood shop? It looks more like operating room equipment than woodworking machinery. Very nice-looking stuff.

- Vaughn

Pete Harbin
04-18-2006, 6:44 PM
Where's the hole for the mast they used to sail that thing over here?

Congrats Mark! Enjoy!

Pete

Mark Rios
04-18-2006, 6:52 PM
Where's the hole for the mast they used to sail that thing over here?

Congrats Mark! Enjoy!

Pete
Oh Pete...you're so silly. There's no hole for a sail in that machine........

It bolts on the side.

:D

Richard Wolf
04-18-2006, 7:54 PM
Great looking machine, nice choice.

Richard

Alan Turner
04-18-2006, 8:52 PM
Congrats. You will enjoy the ability to take wide stock and mill it without much fuss or bother.

Mark Singer
04-18-2006, 9:21 PM
Well,
Some very good news! An email from Jim Strain stated my Phase Converter with the internal disconnect was ordered today. A second email from Sam Blasco said my machine was in port and I would have it next week. This is great service! Jim had seen my thread and felt it was a little soon in light of the situation and I apologized....he was absolutely correct. I encouraged him to make the decision on principle and not the pressures of the Forum. Principal is what MiniMax is all about! They reccognized my delema and steped up to the plate....and did the right thing! When they ordered it the information they had led them to think the electric bed was available in single phase.....well we all were a bit surprised when the crate was opened....
I only posted it because many of you new that it had arrived and were anxious to see and hear about it. On the subject of member support, I have to mention 2 great and knowlegable guys....Euro Master #1 , Paul Cresti....he really knows this stuff and he walked me through many set-up issues (because of my ignorance) and I did not get a manual. The other terrific guy is Roy Wall...just amazingly knowlegable and helpful...those 2 were there for me 24/7.....I am not sure Paul ever sleeps:confused:

In a time when companies seem to neglect the consumer as soon as the check is cashed....MiniMax is truly a refreshing change...knowlegable , helpful and there for you when it counts. I really appreciate Jim and Sams solid efforts...just great guys!

Jim Becker
04-18-2006, 9:25 PM
I am not sure Paul ever sleeps
How can he? He takes his Espresso intravenously at this point so he doesn't need to have a cup slopping on the slider...:D

----
And yes, Jim, Sam and all the other MM folks are "incredible".

Corvin Alstot
04-18-2006, 10:50 PM
Paul Cresti....he really knows this stuff and he walked
me through many set-up issues (because of my ignorance) and I did not
get a manual. The other terrific guy is Roy Wall...!Mark/
Congratulations. I am sure you will be excited to get your new machine up
and running. I am anxious to read your review of the machine and hear
how you like it particularly the mortise attachment. I am not sure if this
helps but, I noticed on the Mini-Max web site, under the customer service
pull down menu, a .pdf file manual for the FS 41 Elite.

Your shop is really taking another step forward.
Best Regards,
Corvin

Roy Wall
04-19-2006, 12:42 AM
Well,
Some very good news! An email from Jim Strain stated my Phase Converter with the internal disconnect was ordered today. A second email from Sam Blasco said my machine was in port and I would have it next week. This is great service! Jim had seen my thread and felt it was a little soon in light of the situation and I apologized....he was absolutely correct. I encouraged him to make the decision on principle and not the pressures of the Forum. Principal is what MiniMax is all about! They reccognized my delema and steped up to the plate....and did the right thing! When they ordered it the information they had led them to think the electric bed was available in single phase.....well we all were a bit surprised when the crate was opened....
I only posted it because many of you new that it had arrived and were anxious to see and hear about it. On the subject of member support, I have to mention 2 great and knowlegable guys....Euro Master #1 , Paul Cresti....he really knows this stuff and he walked me through many set-up issues (because of my ignorance) and I did not get a manual. The other terrific guy is Roy Wall...just amazingly knowlegable and helpful...those 2 were there for me 24/7.....I am not sure Paul ever sleeps:confused:

In a time when companies seem to neglect the consumer as soon as the check is cashed....MiniMax is truly a refreshing change...knowlegable , helpful and there for you when it counts. I really appreciate Jim and Sams solid efforts...just great guys!

Hey Mark.......Now you got me Blushing:o :) ..... Great news that the new machine will arrive next week - Now you know how to set it up!!
You have helped me a tremendous amount...glad I could help you for a change!!!

Lets see......

Your machine would be "THE MOTHER SHIP"

and my FS35 is the "Little engine that could":D :) .

Keep us posted!

Seth Poorman
04-19-2006, 12:56 AM
Nice Mark !
I can almost smell the new paint looking at the pics .....:D

Ian Barley
04-19-2006, 3:45 AM
Mark - Great looking machine - hope you enjoy driving it. Your story just goes to show the value of dealing with pros. They may not always get it right but they should always make it right. Sounds like this is going the right way.