PDA

View Full Version : Mustard Monster/ mobile base???

Jim Sample
04-17-2006, 10:09 PM
Have any of you creekers put wheels under a Mustard Monster? I looks like it will a big load to slid around the shop if needed. I am looking for some kind of mobile base, even if I have to get some heavy angle iron and casters and fire up my welder again. I had a chance to sell my Jet 1442 and delivered it today. I am joining the Mustard Club, it should be in soon.

Jim Sample

Pete Jordan
04-17-2006, 10:27 PM
This is what I did with mine. You are going to love it!

Pete
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=33104

Pete Jordan
04-17-2006, 10:42 PM
Here are some choices:

http://www.zambus.com/ I have the Carrymaster ac-300

http://www.hamiltoncaster.com/Casters/HeavyDutyForgedSteel/WorkhorseCastersWHCapacityto2000lbs/tabid/92/Default.aspx
http://www.castercity.com/products.htm?source=google&gclid=CJvTxam0tYQCFR8XGgodP29ZAg

Chris Barton
04-17-2006, 11:18 PM
You mean like this?

Tom Jones III
04-18-2006, 8:56 AM
When I bought mine from http://www.cuttingedgetools.com/, my local store in Houston, they also sold a locally made mobile base. Very heavy duty, painted yellow with almost a perfect color match. I can't remember the price but $150 comes to mind. Essentially it was an angle iron base with really good casters. Workmanship was excellent. Given the weight it may not be worth it to ship.

Jim Sample
04-18-2006, 9:10 AM
Chris

How much did you raise the height of the spindle?? I am 6' and it is about right as is, do not need more without making a riser platform.

Thanks to you fellows.

Jim:)

Mike Ramsey
04-18-2006, 9:11 AM
Okay guys I see your putting little roller skates on your mustards,
Whats next little Doilie skirts for the front!! :p .

Pete Jordan
04-18-2006, 9:17 AM

If it will help me turn a better bowl, YES!

Pete

Matthew Boerwinkle
07-23-2006, 12:14 PM
Pete,

Did you install the AC-300F or the AC-300S type casters? I'm looking to follow your advice here and I wasn't sure which style was best for the PM 3520B feet.

Matt

George Conklin
07-23-2006, 4:14 PM
I put a casters on my 3520 and then found that I needed to build a 4" tall platform to stand on just to be able to use it!:rolleyes:

edward kinslade
01-05-2007, 9:13 AM
I bought the AC300 S
http://www.zambus.com/pages/ac300.htm

I had to drill a half inch hole in the bottom of the PM to allow the rod to go through.

Mark Pruitt
01-05-2007, 9:38 AM
i kinda feel like i ought not even ask this question, given the fact that some of you who i know have far greater experience than i have put a 3520a/b on casters. but there is something about that that just looks scary to me. seems like it would compromise the stability of the machine. have you had any violent catches to occur which caused the lathe to move on the casters? just seems to me that any movement at all would be reason not to use casters. maybe i am just too over-cautious.

as i've said in other threads i plan to buy a 3520b this year. my plan at this point is to place it where i can get easy access all the way around.

John Hart
01-05-2007, 9:53 AM
My lathe isn't a mustard color so I didn't put any wheels on on it....but I am very interested in the doily skirt. Is there some vortexial ruling that prohibits me from installing a doily skirt on my non-mobile lathe bench?

David Fried
01-05-2007, 9:57 AM
My lathe isn't a mustard color so I didn't put any wheels on on it....but I am very interested in the doily skirt. Is there some vortexial ruling that prohibits me from installing a doily skirt on my non-mobile lathe bench?

As long as it matches your curtains and smock you are all set! :D

Mike Ramsey
01-05-2007, 9:57 AM

Answer is No...but only if you incorporate Pink Lace into the skirt!

Mark Cothren
01-05-2007, 9:58 AM

Uh oh... do I see some Mustard envy pokin' up it's ugly head? ;) :D

Mike Ramsey
01-05-2007, 10:10 AM
No...no mustard envy here....I have aquired most of everything I need
to build my own monster lathe. Simple design with pillow block bearings,
3hp motor, VS reversing drive & I guess unlimited space over the ways.
But I haven't decided what COLOR to paint it yet....not mustard I think....:D

Mark Cothren
01-05-2007, 10:13 AM
Wow!!! Can't wait to see that dude!

Andy Hoyt
01-05-2007, 10:35 AM
John - You'll be okay as long as you order all fabric from Frederick's of Hollywood.

I'm with Mark Pruitt on this one. Mobility is fine for those who need it. But leaving your big ugly mustard latherizers on wheels while maxing them out with those really big El Producto pen blanks is gonna get things all wiggly and stuff.

Moving a lathe is easy. Crow bar and chunk of firewood for vertical movement. A pair of mongrelized roller blades for lateral movement. And a third hand for balance.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-05-2007, 10:55 AM
[quote=Andy Hoyt]John - You'll be okay as long as you order all fabric from Frederick's of Hollywood.

But leaving your big ugly mustard latherizers on wheels while maxing them out with those really big El Producto pen blanks is gonna get things all wiggly and stuff.
quote]

Somebody's showing signs of withdrawal from MOXIE!:rolleyes:

Dick Strauss
01-05-2007, 1:51 PM
Jim,
you should keep it on its feet for most for your turning. You'd be surprised how much a big beast will rattle and roll with a large off-balance chunk of wood. This 600+# behemouth will slide on the leveling pads if your floor is relatively smooth and you only need to move it a few feet out from a wall.

If you need to move the lathe a longer distance every once in a while, you can use a floor jack or furniture dolly under the headstock end (the heavy end) and lift the tailstock end (or you could use a combination jack and dolly).

Mike Ramsey
01-05-2007, 4:35 PM
Good discussion, sources, leveling casters pics here:

Saw that, pretty good discussion.

Jim Becker
01-05-2007, 5:23 PM
i kinda feel like i ought not even ask this question, given the fact that some of you who i know have far greater experience than i have put a 3520a/b on casters. but there is something about that that just looks scary to me. seems like it would compromise the stability of the machine.
Mark the Zambus (http://www.zambus.com) casters don't touch the floor when they are not being actively used. There is a "foot" that you bring down to contact the floor that is similar to a machine-mount. That's why they cost about $40 each.... ;)

Here's the pricing information I received for them as I was considering them for my slider:

AC-300S $ 33.46 ea

AC-600S $ 46.16 ea

+ MOQ is 4 casters with increment of 4.
+ Shipping method : UPS
+ Payment : Net 30 on approved account
Or Credit card

Pete Jordan
01-05-2007, 7:24 PM
I purchased mine at http://www.mjvail.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=MJVCO

I paid $40 apiece

Bill Boehme
01-05-2007, 8:35 PM
As long as you don't take pictures, it never happened.

Bill

John Hart
01-05-2007, 10:08 PM
Ooooh..Verry Pretty Bill!!!!:D I was wondering if anyone would beat me to it!!!:D

Mark Pruitt
01-06-2007, 10:47 AM
Bill, that's sick. Really, really sick. I like it.:D :p

JerHall
01-06-2007, 2:38 PM
Attached is a document with a picture of a custom made castor and leveling device assembly from Gary Ljostad for his 3520. It's a slick idea that I plan to copy

edward kinslade
01-06-2007, 6:31 PM
I just got mine from a place (AC-300s) in MA, near westoborough for $32ea with $10 shipping

Mark Pruitt
01-06-2007, 6:46 PM

As long as it matches your curtains and smock you are all set! :D

Answer is No...but only if you incorporate Pink Lace into the skirt!

John - You'll be okay as long as you order all fabric from Frederick's of Hollywood.

As long as you don't take pictures, it never happened.

Bill

Ooooh..Verry Pretty Bill!!!!:D I was wondering if anyone would beat me to it!!!:D
I am truly surprised that this has not yet led to the subject of thongs in the workshop. You guys do realize that thongs are now turning tools, don't you?:D :D

Ron Journeau
01-06-2007, 8:21 PM
I dunno John, Seems I'm seeing a little leather job with studs on the C-man...but then again thats just me..

Bill Boehme
01-07-2007, 1:33 AM

.......The door to John's shop just happened to be unlocked. Pictures don't lie.

Bill

John Hart
01-07-2007, 7:07 AM
And the thing is...there's nothing quite like a little Chantilly Lace on your tool rest....for those intimate encounters with an off-centered piece of Eucalyptus Burl.;)