PDA

View Full Version : Portable TS Station

Michael Cody
08-23-2003, 12:15 PM
I have need for a portable TS station. You gents span a great spectrum of experience & profession so here goes.. I also posted this over on WC but wanted to cover the guys who don't go both places..

Doing a lot more turning than anything, I sold my PM64, jointer, etc.. a couple years ago and put my money in lathe tools! But when I need it, I use a Makita 2703 bench saw. Weighs 40lbs & does almost all I will ever need.. (including ripping 8/4 oak all day long if needed)

However a friend & I are going in together and we are rehabbing several old houses interiors for another guy. We need a TS that we can haul around, room to room, house to house, Like my SCMS & wheeled stand I use for most stuff.

This is just what my Makita was built for, almost. I am going to be doing a bunch of architectural (mantels, columns, faux beams) & trim work on these projects and I really want a better fence, more rip size, etc.. to cut/build a lot of custom pieces. I don't like the idea of working on my Workmate like I do now.

The issue is -- I <strong>AIN'T</strong> gonna' haul no contractors table saw around nor am I going to leave all my tools on-site every nite at a building someone else owns.. so replacing the saw with something bigger is not really an option.

I was thinking of adding a Rousseau 2700XL or their PortaMak 2750 ... the 2700XL get's great reviews but I really like the wheels on the PortaMak. I know it's pricey but it fits my needs.

Looking for anyone w/experience with either, hopefully the PortaMak -- since it looks like what I really need.. but the 2700 is doable. Portability is the keyword here and while the 2700XL is slick, I am concerned about having to disassemble it to move it around. Both are supposed to have ok fences and fold down to store/transport. Wheels on the PortaMak look handy. I ain't planning on ripping to much ply and if I do I will break it down with a circ saw first anyway.

I am open to other portable suggestions, other brands etc.. I am sure I am not the only guy with this problem .... While it's pricey it seems like the best option to me.

Charles McKinley
08-25-2003, 12:00 PM
Hi Michael,

You may want to look at the stand Ted Owens built. I think he has posted pics of it on here before.

Good luck,