PDA

View Full Version : Bessey Uniclamps

Bob Lasley
02-21-2003, 11:56 PM
I don't know if any of you have tried the relatively new Bessey Uniclamps. I picked up four of them today to try out for clamping up dovetailed boxes. They worked like a charm, just like K-Bodies only smaller and lighter. I think I am really going to enjoy them. Unfortunately, just like all my other types of clamps, I need more of 'em.

Bob

John Miliunas
02-22-2003, 12:09 AM
Hey Bob, you say they're lighter, which I assume means you have some of their "big brothers"? I won't hold you to it, but for a comparable K-Body, what do you figure is the weight advantage? (1/5th less, 1/3rd, similar?). I really like my K-Bodies, but there are many times where they're just too bulky and something lighter, with basically the same footprint, would be nice. Appreciate any info you can embellish on.

Bob Lasley
02-22-2003, 12:21 AM
John,

I would guess they are about half the weight of K-Bodies, maybe less. I really didn't do a side by side comparison. The Uniclamps have a smaller bar and smaller jaws, but they are just right for box glueups and such. They are advertised to have 550 lbs of clamping pressure. I think K-Bodies are around twice that.

Bob

John Miliunas
02-22-2003, 12:35 AM
Bob, I appreciate the info. Exactly what I was looking for. Now I just need to find a reasonable place to purchase some. Oh yeah, and it might help if I had some money, too!:D

Howard Rosenberg
02-22-2003, 1:44 AM
seeing they're a light-duty clamp, how much would you say the bar delected while you were using them on your boxes?
I've looked at them but LOVE the rigidity of the bar in K-Bodys. Thank you. Howard

Bob Lasley
02-22-2003, 10:33 PM
Howard,

I didn't notice any deflection, but I quit cranking on them as soon as the joint pulled up and the glue squeezed out. I wouldn't try to use these in a situation where I really needed to torque down on them, but they seem like they will be great for smaller work such as boxes, etc.

I'll still use my Cabinetmasters and K-bodies for larger work.

Bob

Howard Rosenberg
02-22-2003, 11:15 PM
southern Ontario's major ww shows is on this weekend and I was going there specifically to see if I could find any deals on them. Howard