PDA

View Full Version : 65c/bf.... SHOP UPDATE

Ned Bulken
04-17-2006, 7:25 PM
I think I found my lumber source for the framing lumber today! A mill that supplies wood for adirondack cabins, (well they sell turn key cabins too, but they also will part with lumber) sells framing softwood dimensional lumber for .65c/ BF!
I'm working out the exact board footage, but including a little for 'oops' cuts, I'm looking at lumber for the walls and trusses of about $600 (my estimate for the borg is 1100). Now this is for air dried lumber cut around february, but hey, I'll take the cost savings, means I get a lot further on the shop sooner than later!!

edit, price update

John Shaffner
04-17-2006, 8:09 PM
Note: Add 45¢ per board foot if air-dried sixmonths (one summer season).

Might check your figures again, my friend. I would give Spink's Lumber in Camden a call. They have KD for a good price.

For the hardwoods, I'd still rather do business with Lakeshore Hardwoods. It's always worth the trip up there to chat with Brian, if nothing else.

John

Ned Bulken
04-17-2006, 8:17 PM
oh i was going to call spinks, as well, didn't place an order, just found one vendor who is 'in the running'. as for the air dried, the price he was quoting did not include the season drying price, as it was still 'wet'

I agree re brian though.

Tyler Howell
04-17-2006, 8:19 PM
Good Luck Ned.
Go bigger!!! We..... gifted gentlemen need all the shop we can get:o :o

Jason Morgan
04-17-2006, 8:43 PM
Question about your calcs, or am I missing something

2"x4"x96" = 768in^3

768/144 = 5.33 BF in a standard HD 2x4

.65/bf*5.33BF = $3.46. That is about what our HD is selling them for.

????

Ned Bulken
04-17-2006, 9:05 PM
my most recent calcs said closer to $1/bf at the borg, but I haven't finalized anything yet.

Matt Meiser
04-18-2006, 7:35 AM
I have to agree with Jason here. $1/bd ft would make a 2x4x8 over $5. I haven't bought any for a few months, but I paid in the $3 range. :confused:

CPeter James
04-18-2006, 9:05 AM
In NY the building code will prevent you form using ungraded lumber for some projects. My local traveling band mill guy gave me a magazine article to read the last time he was here and it told of how the band mill guys in NY were having to truck the lumber to a permanent mill to get it graded if they were going to use it for buildings. Here In NH (and any other state that has adopted the BOCA code) you can not use ungraded lumber for any structure that will be inhabited and some locations will not allow you to use it for any structural uses at all. Weird, you can use a cheap 2x4 fro HD and it's OK, but you can't use a full 2x4 hemlock because there is no stamp on it.

CPeter

Ned Bulken
04-20-2006, 6:24 PM
well gang,
I did the math and the Blue Borg wins by a mere $20 on price for my cut list. Looks like I'll be placing an order when I get my check in a couple of weeks. Given that this will be a 'non permanent' structure, I will check with the codes guy when I renew my building permit. (getting that just so that the town doesn't make me tear it down midway through the build)

Jim O'Dell
04-20-2006, 6:43 PM
well gang,
I did the math and the Blue Borg wins by a mere $20 on price for my cut list. Looks like I'll be placing an order when I get my check in a couple of weeks. Given that this will be a 'non permanent' structure, I will check with the codes guy when I renew my building permit. (getting that just so that the town doesn't make me tear it down midway through the build)

You might check with the commercial desk at Lowes. When I bought materials for fenceing almost 2 years ago, they sweetened the deal nicely. Even delivered it for a modest sum. Worth a shot, if you haven't hit that angle already. Jim.

Ned Bulken
04-20-2006, 7:05 PM
I'll be sure and see what they can do for me.