PDA

View Full Version : Dang!

Andy Hoyt
04-17-2006, 6:18 PM
My cherished 3/8 bowl gouge has finally reached retirement age. Sharpened all the way down to the point where there's no flute left. Think I'll get one of those P&Ns and see how that goes.

Anyway, that got me to thinking about my version of the Irish Grind and wondering what would happen if I adjusted it one way or another. I thusly spent some time with my other 3/8 gouge (that I hate) and chewed through some steel. I went out to the firewood pile, got a piece of Bonkerwood, and chucked it up. So I spent time grinding and gouging and grinding and gouging and ultimately decided that I must have gone through this process once before because I kept coming back to where'd I'd always been.

But then I finally shut down the lathe and when the Bonkerwood stopped spinning I found this very nice figure had been hiding inside. Took what was left and this was the form I came up with. Wonder why I have goblets on the brain today?

But there was a slow release time bonb hiding dead center in the stem. Nuts! Picture doesn't do this figure justice, but thought I'd share it anyway.

Ernie Nyvall
04-17-2006, 7:09 PM
Now that's a nice goblet for a king. Bummer about the stem.

Ernie

Bruce Shiverdecker
04-17-2006, 7:20 PM
It's a shame that it's too late for the contest. That is another winner for you.

BTW, you can still use the 3/8" gouge w/o a flute. I'm not sure where I saw it, but there is a form of tool that is a round rod ground to a triangular shape.

I'll look around and see if I can find the information on it and post it if I do.

Bruce

Pat Salter
04-17-2006, 7:29 PM
It's a shame that it's too late for the contest. That is another winner for you.

BTW, you can still use the 3/8" gouge w/o a flute. I'm not sure where I saw it, but there is a form of tool that is a round rod ground to a triangular shape.

I'll look around and see if I can find the information on it and post it if I do.

Bruce

Andy, can't you put a hose clamp on that stem? so I can support some rocky road? It may not be pretty but when you're eating the ice cream you won't be looking at the stem;)

Bruce, the fall '05 American Woodturner has an article on "Point Tool". I think that's what you're talking about.

BTW, Andy, except for the stem, nice globlet:D

John Hart
04-17-2006, 8:11 PM
It's got a medieval flare to it! Definitely appeals to me. And, for what it's worth, I kinda like that hole in the stem. Cool lookin' cup Mr. Hoyt!:)

Andy Hoyt
04-17-2006, 8:11 PM
Yup 1, I was also thinking of a three faceted point tool, or a nice 3/8 round skew. Sumpin along those lines.

Yup 2, perfect size for one and a half scoops, but that woiuld mean I'd have to remount it, sand it, finish it, etc.

And that's too much work for just 1.5 scoops. I usually don't bother til they're up around 3.8 scoops.:D

Dick Parr
04-17-2006, 9:15 PM
Sorry to see that happen Andy, that did have some nice figure in it.:(

Erin Raasch
04-17-2006, 9:28 PM
But there was a slow release time bonb hiding dead center in the stem. Nuts!

What, you didn't know that about bonker trees? Nice lookin' little cup, anyway.

Erin

Andy Hoyt
04-17-2006, 10:18 PM
What, you didn't know that about bonker trees? Nice lookin' little cup, anyway.

Erin
You got it, Erin. Bonker Trees are not native to Maine. Closest we have are Bumper Trees, but they don't turn nearly as well.

Curt Fuller
04-17-2006, 10:57 PM
I like it with the slow release time bomb stem. That takes a lot of instinct, intuition, and good judgement to be able to detect that and stop where you did. Maybe even a little luck.

Dennis Peacock
04-17-2006, 11:09 PM
Well Andy....I guess you'd better dig around that bonkerwood pile a little more. That's some pretty wood!!!!

Ken Fitzgerald
04-17-2006, 11:26 PM
Andy..........nice figure in that bonker wood! I had a goblet do something similar for the exact same reason.....only the bowl portion of the goblet let go from the stem!

Barry Stratton
04-18-2006, 3:23 AM
Andy,

I'm tipping a beer and observing a moment of silence for your retired bowl gouge .................................................. .................................................. ..........

Okay, Nice goblet by the way. Your firewood is much nicer than mine.....

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
04-18-2006, 7:11 AM
That is neat, really neat how you managed to get that little bomb right in the middle of the stem, man you could not have done that if you were trying :D

Make a great planter ;)

Cheers!

Jim Becker
04-18-2006, 9:33 AM
Well...if the stem lets go, you still have a very nice bowl with a slight inward cant...very nice, indeed!

Mike Ramsey
04-18-2006, 9:35 AM
If you don't think it's art because of the stem, you could just
cut the stem off and WaLa a nice bowl! Looks like it shows off
your skills by keeping it in one piece! Yep turn the gouge into
one of those 3 point thingy's

Joe Melton
04-18-2006, 4:53 PM
Very nice cup, Andy. I would put mead in it.
Can you tell us what angle you use on your gouge with the Irish grind?
Joe

Andy Hoyt
04-18-2006, 5:17 PM
Thanks again.

No mead, Joe. It just got commandeered for Jelly Bean duty.

I've no idea what the angles are, but here's what it looks like.

Bernie Weishapl
04-18-2006, 8:48 PM
Andy I had a extra scoop of Butter Pecan ice cream in rememberance of the gouge.

Dale Thompson
04-18-2006, 8:54 PM
Andy,
That's the price you pay for using those dangerous chisels for turning. :( I do all of MY turning with sandpaper!! I haven't had a "catch" in YEARS!! :cool:

Dale T.

Jim Dunn
04-18-2006, 9:59 PM
I personally see a banana split dish:) Real nice looking Andy. (been busy as a one armed woman chaser lately, been rough.)