PDA

View Full Version : Pretty pretty Cherry *PIC*

David Eisan
08-23-2003, 8:19 AM
Dear All,

I am busy clearing out my garage lumber rack and moving everything to the basement to make room for the 400BF of hard maple that will be showing up next week for a kitchen I am working on.

I knew these boards were in the pile, but I had not seen them recently,

http://members.rogers.com/dfeisan/images/prettycherry.jpg

One strong memory I have of high school shop is looking at a rough board, and seeing that board all by itself as being a very pretty thing. Not that it could be made into this or that, but all by itself, this board was something to admire. No one I knew at the time got it, and in fact, most thought I was quite strange for thinking that a board all by itself could be beautiful. I know I cannot be the only person who feels this way.

The boards are 14" wide with just a little sap wood on each edge and 10 feet long, I paid $1.00 CDN per board foot (about $0.70 USD) for the cherry, and there is lots more than these three boards...

Thanks,

David.

Every neighbourhood has one, in mine, I'm him.

Jim Becker
08-23-2003, 9:21 AM
While I pay reasonable prices for cherry from a local source, I have to say I'm more than jealous of that beautiful stock you have, especially with the cost you had! And for wide stock (my favorite), too. Use it well and be sure to show us the end results when you do put it into a project.

And if you just don't have room to store it...send it here. :D

Lloyd Robins
08-23-2003, 10:32 AM
I have a son in Toronto. When we go to visit him maybe I ought to convince the LOML to go in the truck. Anyone know what the customs cost for wood is? Wood costs are quite high here in Southern California. Just dreaming... Anyway, I also think that boards can be beautiful in and of themselves, but I usually try to make something from them. Good luck with those wonderful boards that you have.

Todd Burch
08-23-2003, 10:38 AM
I think wood is beautiful too, and sometimes I'm more of a collector than a user. I think I have about 13,000 to 15,000 bf in inventory right now... too much.

Tom Sweeney
08-23-2003, 11:43 AM
Next time I go to Houston to visit my brother I'll drive my truck instead of flying. I'll take some of that off your hands cause I hate seeing you feeling so guilty about hoarding too much wood :D

BTW Jim - FYI I bought about 60 BF of beautifull clear Cherry at an auction in Phoenixville last year for about $15 or $20 :cool:
It's rough sawn & takes a lot of planing to get to the good stuff - but the boards are plenty thick enough to find the beauty in them.

I think wood is beautiful too, and sometimes I'm more of a collector than a user. I think I have about 13,000 to 15,000 bf in inventory right now... too much.