PDA

View Full Version : Festool Sanders

Gary Keedwell
04-17-2006, 11:24 AM
In the market for ROS and dust extractor. I see that there is a discontinue on the RO150E. Can anybody lead me in the best direction? Is the RO150E worth it or should I wait for newest model. I want the best ROS and dust extractor to take me into retirement. It will be the last sander I will purchase. (Hopefully)

Gary K.

Eric Shields
04-17-2006, 1:06 PM
Bob Marino is a member of SMC and a Festool distributor. Every post I've read here about Bob has been very positive. I'm sure he'll stick his head in here. Though I do not currently own anything from Festool (that's gunna change), when the budget allows I will be going through Bob.

Enjoy Your Shopping,

Eric

Rich Person
04-17-2006, 1:17 PM
I don't own a 150, but do have the 125. It is an amazing sander. I bought it on faith, and have found the dust collection to be amazing. No discernable dust in the air, even when in stock removal mode. It ended up be much better than I expected. I gave my P-C ROS away since I wasn't going to use it anymore. The dust collection between the two is not even close.

Frank Pellow
04-17-2006, 1:51 PM
I really like the Rotex 150.

:) I like it so well in aggresive mode that I have dispensed with my two belt sanders.

:) I like it so well in fine finish mode that I don't envision needing anything that sands finer.

:) I like the dust collection so well that I have happily sanded in people's living rooms without worrying about covering anything up.
I have read desriptions of the replacement and there is nothing new on the replacement that would make me wait for it.

Jim Becker
04-17-2006, 1:57 PM
I own both the Rotex 150 and the 150/3. I tend to use the 150/3 most of the time as the Rotex is bigger, heavier and "really likes" to be used with two hands. That said, you will not find a better ROS than the Rotex, you will not find a better OS than the Rotex and it's a really good buffer, too. Very versatile...and at the close-out price a very nice deal.

Paul Atwood
04-17-2006, 5:33 PM
Warning!

Quality is addictive (a variation of "quality is contagious" - Bridge City
Tool).

Festool is Quality and what really sold me (thanks in part to the members ofthis board) is the fact that it is a complete and very well thought out system.

I received my new RO150 and CT22 five days ago and I've created a lot of dustsince then, but it's almost all in the bag! The effectiveness of the dc system is unmatchedby any other sander on the market - IMHO. I am impressed every time I use it.

The fact that their tools come in containers (systainers) that mate is another major selling point for me, I have more empty (dust collecting) useless tool containers than I care to count and I don't need any more.

Although I am more than a little concerned about the long term cost of this new addiction, I have no regrets - the tools speak (quietly - I usually don't hear the CT with the sander running) for themselves.

I did briefly consider waiting for the new version of the RO150, but the added benefits (ergonomics, ID ((Industrial Design - It is to my eyes a beautiful tool)), increased power and modular cord were trumped by the cost difference - about $200 and the wait.

I can't begin to imagine why they felt anyone needed more power in a handheld sander - I can only just barely slow this one down with 36 grit and a whole lot of force. I rarely use the sander at full speed and the fact that the new version plus the CT exceeds 15 amps (most of my 110 circuits) was a factor as well. It is a handful (or two) at max speed, but I do appreciate having the power available, 500 wattts is plenty.

The auto on feature feature (although not unique to Festool) is a big benefit for me (and the power bill).

I find that for my applications, having the dual mode option is very valuable, I just finished off a piece of marble that I am going to inlay into a solid maple counter and being able to switch modes saved a lot of time and a few steps in grit selection.

I also have to say that I was not impressed by the customer service at
Festoolusa, it took a week and 3 emails to get a response to a couple of very simple questions (while I was waving money at them!). They did come through in the end though.

BTW, Am I the only one who noticed the price increase last week? Seems to
average about 4%. I managed to lock in the old price, since the increase occurred while I was waiting for a reply.

All things considered, if you appreciate thoughtful design and first rate execution (and you can get past their trademark shade of green) you will not be disappointed.

I expect this "fix" will wear off in a week or three, so I need to go figure out how to pay for the next one (my only router is 20 years old and it really deserves a long vacation after all the work it's done for me), then there is that pitiful circular saw that deserves an owner who doesn't find fault with it every time he/she picks it up.

Meanwhile, I need to create a systainer compatible toolbox - hmmm -madrone, maple, walnut, maybe a little boxwood and of course a finish that shines!

Hope this helps,

Woody

Paul Atwood

Dave Avery
04-17-2006, 8:10 PM
I own a Rotex 150 and agree with everything Jim and Frank have to say about it......

Dave Falkenstein
04-17-2006, 8:28 PM
The RO150 is a great tool, and I'm sure you will be happy with it. Get it at the clearance price on the package deal with the dust extractor, and save even more. Look here:

http://www.festoolusa.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdID=P2571494&ID=11

However, don't be surprised if it is not the last sander you will purchase. Once you work with a Festool sander, you might just find yourself yearning for more than one. I think the ETS150/3 is a great companion to the RO150.

Bob Marino
04-17-2006, 9:14 PM
I did briefly consider waiting for the new version of the RO150, but the added benefits (ergonomics, ID ((Industrial Design - It is to my eyes a beautiful tool)), increased power and modular cord were trumped by the cost difference - about $200 and the wait.

I can't begin to imagine why they felt anyone needed more power in a handheld sander - I can only just barely slow this one down with 36 grit and a whole lot of force. I rarely use the sander at full speed and the fact that the new version plus the CT exceeds 15 amps (most of my 110 circuits) was a factor as well. It is a handful (or two) at max speed, but I do appreciate having the power available, 500 wattts is plenty.

Paul,

The new Rotex's introductory price has not yet been set, but will sell for less than the price you mention.

Nah, you won't trip a breaker with the new Rotex - the Rotex/CT's electronics prevent that. I have yet to trip a breaker with the OF 200O Router and CT:) .

Bob

Rafael Carias
04-17-2006, 10:30 PM
i also own a rotex and it was worth every cent. its hands down the best electrical sander i have ever used.

i was also wondering about getting the newer version but i decided i could live without the features of the new version and got my rotex from the local festool dealer (battles tools & hardware). no regrets.

Gary Keedwell
04-17-2006, 10:42 PM
Just wondering if the C22 is better or worse then the C33. Is it worth it to upgrade to more powerful vacuum? I can't wait to make up my mind so I caan order one.

Gary K.

Bob Marino
04-17-2006, 10:49 PM
Just wondering if the C22 is better or worse then the C33. Is it worth it to upgrade to more powerful vacuum? I can't wait to make up my mind so I caan order one.

Gary K.

The 22 and 33 have identical power specs - it's the same motor. Capacity (8.7 gal vs 5.8 gal) and a small storage drawer on the 33 are the only differences.

Bob

Frank Pellow
04-17-2006, 10:49 PM

Gary K.
The C33 is not more powerful than the C22; it just holds a bigger bag. I take my tools off site quite a lot, and I certainly would not want anything bigger than the C22 to tote around.

Frank Pellow
04-17-2006, 10:51 PM
Hey Bob, I see that our posts answering the question have the same time, but you beet me by a few seconds.

Gary Keedwell
04-17-2006, 11:31 PM
Frank and Bob.......Thanks...I think I'm leaning towards the 22. I'm really getting excited about this. All these years of breathing sanding dust, I imagined to myself there had to be a better answer. And thanks to the Creek, I'm finding it. Again, my hat is off to you guys!!!

Gary K.

Frank Pellow
04-18-2006, 8:50 AM
Frank and Bob.......Thanks...I think I'm leaning towards the 22. I'm really getting excited about this. All these years of breathing sanding dust, I imagined to myself there had to be a better answer. And thanks to the Creek, I'm finding it. Again, my hat is off to you guys!!!

Gary K.
I think that is probably the right choice Gary and a lot of folks agree with me. On the Fetool Owner Group site at Yahoo, there is an inventory of member's tools. 87 folks have the C22, whereas 27 have the C33, and only 10 have the Mini.