PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking Schools/Classes

Roger Turnbough
08-23-2003, 8:07 AM
Morning all,

LOML has relented and given me permission to attend a one week class at a school of my choosing. What has been your experiences at these schools and classes.

My choice of schools at this point is Marc Adam's school in Indy. As this is within driving distance for me.

My buddy has taken several classes at Marc's and raves about them.

What are your feelings about these schools/classes. Do you feel that your money was well spent. And any other pertinent information you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Roger

Ray Thompson
08-23-2003, 11:03 AM
I attended some classes down at Marc's last year and felt the money was very well spent. The only problem is getting in. The first timers usually don't get the class they want. The best way is to attend one of the Saturday one day classes and become an alumnus. They get first crack at the classes for the following year. Good Luck.

Ray

Spence DePauw
08-23-2003, 12:17 PM
I've not attended Marc's school, but have heard good reviews from a couple of local guys who have.

Another alternative that might be close enough for you to consider may be American Sycamore, near Cloverdale, IN. I think its about 40 mi SW of Indy on I70. I've attended three classes there and have been delighted. My three were 1) built my workbench, 1 week; 2) Furniture makinig with hand tools, taught by Andy Rae, 1 week; and 3) a box making class taught by Tom Laird, 3 days. I'm signed up for a 1 week class next year with Andy Rae to do a wall mounted tool cabinet. I'm excited about that, because Andy's personal cabinet is the one on the cover of the Toolbox Book, and its also on the cover of Andy's book, Choosing and Using Hand Tools. It is spectacular!

They are a newer school than Marc's, and may have room in most of their classes. Mike and Dana Van Pelt run the school, and are great people to work with. It's out in the woods, so the location couldn't be nicer.

If you Google "American Sycamore" they were the first hit for me. The full name is American Sycamore Woodworkers Retreat. Phone is 765-795-4044

Disclaimer, at this point, no affiliation other than very satisfied customer. However, they have asked me to teach a one day class next year, for what that's worth.

Hope this helps,
Spence

Pete Lamberty
08-23-2003, 9:58 PM
Hi Roger, I have attended five classes, each a week long, at Marc Adams school. I think the fact that I went back so many times should convince you that I like the school. I cannot think of how he could make the school better. If you are taking a class that requires skills that you are not familiar with, read some books or view videos to prepare yourself for the classes. Also Marc will send you a list of tools that you will need in the class, get them early and tune them up, so you don't waste time in class. I used to call the teacher if I had any questions about the class. What type of class do you have in mind? Also, the only other school I went to is Arrowmont, in Gatlinburg TN. Arrowmont is probably a better school to go to if you are interested in woodturning. Only because Arrowmont offers more turning classes/teachers. I can't imagine that you wouuld be disappointed at Marcs school. Hope this helps a little. Pete

Martin Shupe
08-23-2003, 10:54 PM
Roger,

This summer, I took Kelly Mehler's hand cut dovetail class (one day, Saturday course) and then the hand cut blanket chest class the following week (5 day class, M-F); both offered at the Marc Adams School.

I hope to post photos this week of the blanket chest. It's not quite done, but you will get the idea...

While I have not been to any other school, I don't need to go to any other school for the forseeable future. There are plenty of classes I want to take at Marc Adams, starting with every single one taught by Kelly Mehler.

Marc Adams, Zane, Doug, and Herman run a truly first class operation. I cannot emphasize that enough. Marc's wife and mother cook up wonderful lunches, too!

Marc's return rate is over 90%. That should tell you everything you need to know about the quality of the school, but if you have any questions, feel free to email me, or call and we can talk (I am in the book).

My only regret about the Marc Adams school is that I don't live in Indy. :(

My only regret about giving this endorsement is that now I will have more competition for the classes I want to take. ;)

Warren White
08-24-2003, 12:43 AM
[QUOTE=Roger Turnbough]Morning all,

Roger,
I took my first class at Marc Adams this July and I couldn't imagine a greater woodworking experience. It was a week long class on making a writing desk. The shop is awesome; the available tools were enough to make a grown man cry; the folks at the school (in the office and in the shop) were very, very helpful; and the instruction (Kelly Mehler in my case) was outstanding.

Marc told us that 95% of the students return for another class, so that certainly speaks volumes regarding the experience others have had.

My wife and I flew in from California so all in all, it was expensive. I couldn't complete my project because I had to break it down and ship it home. (I also didn't finish it because I ran out of time, but that isn't a comment on anything except me. We all worked from 8:00 am until 6:00 pm, and by the end of the day I was shot!) However, it was a great kick-start for me. I came away with new skills and a new confidence in my woodworking.

We stayed at a B&B recommended by the school. It was great!

My bottom line? Go for it! You won't be sorry.

Warren White (Livermore CA)

Dana Van Pelt
08-24-2003, 7:47 PM
Roger,
I agree, Marc Adams does have a great school and has set the standards for all...but I would like to offer you a chance to visit American Sycamore Woodworkers' Retreat.

Roger, If you are within driving distance please join us for our open house September 6, 1pm till 5pm, and meet some of our instructors such as Frank Klausz, Blaine Berry, Dennis Maddox and see our workshop and facilities for yourself.

Please view ASWR's web site www.americansycamoreretreat.com (http://www.americansycamoreretreat.com) for travel direction

Yesterday I was pleasantly surprised to find a nice article about American Sycamore featured in Woodworker's Journal October issue page 28.

Hope you will stop in,
Dana Van Pelt

Martin Shupe
08-25-2003, 8:51 PM
I put my Blanket Chest write up on the Neander side, if you would like more information about my experience at the Marc Adams school.

Warren, the write up explains why I missed you that night at the B & B.

Greg Wandless
08-26-2003, 10:35 AM
I just back from a two week advanced furniture making class taught by Craig Stevens and John Fox and it was outstanding. This was the forth year I have been to CFC and had great experences every time. Class size is limited to twelve students, so with two guest instructors and resident instructor the ratio of students to faculity is great. You get a loy of one on one interaction. During those two weeks Garret Hack also taught a one week class and Phil Lowe taught the next week.

I have talked to several students and instructors from the Marc Adams school and they were not altogether happy with the experience, perhapes its changed since they were there. They didn't like the machine room and bench room being in the same space, class size was too large and benchs were a bit on the small size.

Check out their website to get a better idea of what they have to offer

www.woodschool.com

Good luck and have fun where ever you go.

Martin Shupe
08-26-2003, 3:40 PM
They didn't like the machine room and bench room being in the same space, class size was too large and benchs were a bit on the small size.

Well, the machine room and bench room are no longer together, but adjacent in two separate rooms. I can see where at one time they may have been, but since then Marc built an addition to the building just for benches. There is also a third large room just for finishing.

Yes, the benches are small, but even with my blanket chest project, I found mine adequate.

The Saturday dovetail class had 24 or maybe 30 students. Quite a few, but I felt that Kelly gave me enough personal time, considering.

I think the blanket chest class had 18 students, but I may be wrong. You can email Kelly Mehler through his website kellymehler.com and ask him. I felt that I got plenty of personal attention, and Kelly was available for questions throughout the week.

I am sure there are other great schools, and I will probably eventually try some, but for now, I'll be going back to the one I know I will enjoy and learn from, Marc Adams.

Roger, I would encourage you to call Marc up, and arrange to visit his school. I think if you did, it would help you make your decision.