PDA

View Full Version : Shaker projects...many of them

Donnie Raines
04-17-2006, 9:13 AM
I have been busy the last few months. We have refurb our living room so new items were needed to fill in the space. All solid cherry, hand cut dovetails and finished with lacquer. Thansk for looking.

tod evans
04-17-2006, 9:17 AM
very nice donnie!

John Timberlake
04-17-2006, 9:26 AM
Wow! When you said last few months, you meant years, right. Wonderful collection of furniture. Nice attention to detail, great wood and excellent designs. Keep up the good work.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-17-2006, 9:34 AM
Donnie........the LOML would be more than happy to have you visit our livingroom for the next couple of months!:D Very nicely done projects Donnie....very nice!

scott kinninger
04-17-2006, 9:37 AM
Very nice ! I love the figure on that table top. Beautiful.

Tyler Howell
04-17-2006, 9:40 AM
Well done Donnie,
Nice toe nail polish:rolleyes: :D

Donnie Raines
04-17-2006, 9:43 AM
Thank you......

....I mean...that's not my toes!!:cool:

Lars Thomas
04-17-2006, 9:55 AM
Donnie, those are some great looking projects. I love the BE Maple on the cabinet. And I am a sucker for the little candle-stick table. What method did you use for attaching the legs to the table?

Donnie Raines
04-17-2006, 10:02 AM
I used sliding dovetails......and I shaped the pedestal by hand.

A few weeks later I bought a lathe.:rolleyes:

Mark Valsi
04-17-2006, 10:18 AM
MORE PICTURES !!!! <G>

That's some nice work !

Don Baer
04-17-2006, 10:26 AM
Nice work Donnie,

I used sliding dovetails......and I shaped the pedestal by hand.

A few weeks later I bought a lathe.:rolleyes:

So when are we gonna see some of your turning work in the spinney forum,

Jesse Cloud
04-17-2006, 10:26 AM
A few months well spent! What great work! I'm envious.

Donnie Raines
04-17-2006, 10:35 AM
Nice work Donnie,

So when are we gonna see some of your turning work in the spinney forum,

As soon as I figure out how to use it.;) So far I have the "take a block of wood and tunr it into something other then a block of wood" down pat...thank god for scraps.:D

Shelley Bolster
04-17-2006, 10:37 AM
Way to go Donnie! Your pieces are wonderful and I bet, as a grouping in your living room, they make a great display complimenting each other. I can see only one mistake you made........that is mentioning the L (lathe) word out loud. You do realize that they (the turners from over there) have a group of well-trained spies whose mission is to observe and report any suspicious activity that us flat woodworkers display with regard to the "lathe". I fear you may be in for an all and all out assault now......fight them Donnie! You are too talented with your woodworking, I would hate to hear that we lost another of your caliber to turning! ;)

Thanks for sharing the pictures with us.......you should be very proud of your accomplishments. :)

Ken Fitzgerald
04-17-2006, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the notice Shelley!

Hey Andy ..........We got another one!

Dan Oliphant
04-17-2006, 10:50 AM
Great looking furniture, the board selections are really outstanding.

Donnie Raines
04-17-2006, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the response folks.

The flame cherry came from the same log....so it did fall together nicely in that respect. When i bought that log, I really did not no it was figured until they cut the first board.......:eek: ...imagine my surprise.

The one tiem that has the bookmatched door panels actually is a stpe back cupbard. I slide the bottom portion out of the way while we work on the kitchen....the top matches the bottom(not pictured).

Thansk again.

Steve Clardy
04-17-2006, 11:27 AM
Looks really nice Donnie!!

Donnie Raines
04-17-2006, 11:30 AM
Wanna know how I smoothed out those cherry boards?:cool:

Steve Clardy
04-17-2006, 11:46 AM

I've got this little hunch of an idea:)

Got a pic with them in action?

BTW. How many drawer bottoms did you get out of the packing crate?

Kyle Stiefel
04-17-2006, 11:51 AM

I give up, is this a trick question?

Great work, lovely wood. I just recently finished a project where I painted the legs, did you spray them or do them by hand? I hate painting nice hardwood but sometimes the contrast sets it off as your small table did. That looks like a busy several months.

Donnie Raines
04-17-2006, 11:55 AM
I give up, is this a trick question?

Great work, lovely wood. I just recently finished a project where I painted the legs, did you spray them or do them by hand? I hate painting nice hardwood but sometimes the contrast sets it off as your small table did. That looks like a busy several months.

I bought the smoothing planes from Steve Clardy....I was just trhowing him a bone.:D

I used a milk paint for the table base and then sprayed lacquer over top of that. I have found that by mixing the milk paint to dry very flat yeilds a better result when top coating. The color looks more authentic this way.

Donnie Raines
04-17-2006, 11:56 AM
I've got this little hunch of an idea:)

Got a pic with them in action?

BTW. How many drawer bottoms did you get out of the packing crate?

I haven't used the ply for drawers yet.:cool:

No images of me useing them....I can mail you some shavings if you would like?:D

Jim Becker
04-17-2006, 12:03 PM
I guess you really have been busy!! Nice work...all of it. Watch out for the spin-crowd, BTW...they really like to suck folks in. Oh, yea...I'm one of them!

Keel McDonald
04-17-2006, 12:16 PM
Very nice stuff! I love Shaker style furniture. I especially like the last pic of the small cabinet, phone stand, whatever it is, I like it.

Andy Hoyt
04-17-2006, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the notice Shelley!

Hey Andy ..........We got another one!
Shhhhh! Revert to covert mode.

note to self: increase next year's budget so we can move away from these CIA rejects!:D

Nice stuff Donnie. Most impressive.

Brett Baldwin
04-17-2006, 1:47 PM
That's a great looking suite of furniture. The figure is outstanding. I like the simple Shaker design with a well-figured wood.

Pete Harbin
04-17-2006, 2:06 PM
Wow Donnie! You have been busy! That is some really fantastic work, and the wood is just awesome!

Pete

Jerry Ingraham
04-17-2006, 2:42 PM
The last few months ? Man, that's a few years worth for me! Beautiful!

Donnie Raines
04-17-2006, 2:45 PM
Actually....they were built in about 6 weeks.:rolleyes:

Roy Wall
04-17-2006, 2:54 PM
Donnie,

That is a terrific set of "shaker stuff" - just beautiful!! The wood grain & craftsmanship to match is excellent! WAY TO GO!!!!!

Jay Knepper
04-17-2006, 3:59 PM
Beautiful work, Donnie! That's some fine wood and great workmanship.

Richard Wolf
04-17-2006, 4:27 PM
Nice work Donnie, I'm a Shaker fan myself.

Richard

Vaughn McMillan
04-17-2006, 4:46 PM
Great job on all the pieces, Donnie. What a shame you couldn't find any good-looking wood. ;) :p

I'd love to work with some curly cherry (and yours is a gorgeous example), but the stuff I've seen for sale here in SoCal was outside of what I've been willing to spend.

Thanks for the pics, and as someone else mentioned, feel free to post some more.

- Vaughn

Martin Shupe
04-17-2006, 6:02 PM
Donnie,

It sure is nice to know that you don't sell all of your best wood. You've obviously been holding out on me!:D

Seriously, very nice collection.

The Shaker cupboard is particularly interesting (#2). Did you have a plan for that, or just "squeeze" the traditional version (as pictured in Woodworker Magazine)? Personally, I like yours better. Very nice adaptation.

My wife will like #3, the chest of drawers. She saw that in a Handberg book (I think), and put it on my list.

Your production speed amazes me, as does the quality of your work.

Thanks for posting, Donnie.

Jim W. White
04-17-2006, 7:12 PM
Donnie,

Your peices look awesome!!

Could you shjare with us some more of the details of your finishing. It really looks great. What pound cut and was it amber or blond shellac? Someone at woodcraft just talked me into trying shellac on my last project and I was really impressed with how easy the process was, but now I'm thinking I need to learn more. My application was simply as a sanding sealer on some maple, but I really like the way it looks on that cherry!

...Thanks,

Jim in Idaho

Bruce Shiverdecker
04-17-2006, 7:32 PM
YEHAW........................ assemble the lathe legions........................ Time to assimilate another one!!!!!!!!!!

Petty Officer Bruce

Travis Stinson
04-17-2006, 7:35 PM
Andy........covert mode established..........................
operatives moving into position............................[^[\+**/-_]]

Ron Jones near Indy
04-17-2006, 8:16 PM
Beautiful work Donnie. Thanks for giving use a look!

Tom Clevenger
04-17-2006, 11:36 PM
Nice work on all of the pieces. The replies here were sure different than those you received on woodnet.

Matt Meiser
04-18-2006, 7:30 AM
Wow, you have been busy! Very nice work!

Donnie Raines
04-18-2006, 8:25 AM
Donnie,

It sure is nice to know that you don't sell all of your best wood. You've obviously been holding out on me!:D

Seriously, very nice collection.

The Shaker cupboard is particularly interesting (#2). Did you have a plan for that, or just "squeeze" the traditional version (as pictured in Woodworker Magazine)? Personally, I like yours better. Very nice adaptation.

My wife will like #3, the chest of drawers. She saw that in a Handberg book (I think), and put it on my list.

Your production speed amazes me, as does the quality of your work.

Thanks for posting, Donnie.

Hi Martin,

Looking for the photos of that cherry you picked up from me last year.:cool:

The small cabinet was taken directly from Thos. Moser book on Shaker design. However, the front stiles are 1/4 narrow comapred to the orginal....I used one wide board so that it matched...so I had to make it work.

The sewing desk(chest of drawers) was also taken from Those Moser book. That item is as exact as I could make it. I even bought large sheets of 1 inch block paper to get the curves and what not just right. I used a plywood template to shape the sides.

Donnie Raines
04-18-2006, 8:26 AM
Donnie,

Your peices look awesome!!

Could you shjare with us some more of the details of your finishing. It really looks great. What pound cut and was it amber or blond shellac? Someone at woodcraft just talked me into trying shellac on my last project and I was really impressed with how easy the process was, but now I'm thinking I need to learn more. My application was simply as a sanding sealer on some maple, but I really like the way it looks on that cherry!

...Thanks,

Jim in Idaho

No shellac was used, though I have used it in the past. I simply rubbed on danish oil and top coated with satin lacquer.

John Miliunas
04-18-2006, 9:23 AM
Donnie, you out-did yourself, doooooood!!!! :D Man, I'd be happy to get one of those done in the 6 weeks it took you to do all of them! Excellent detail on all the units and we'd expect nothing but the best looking wood on your projects! :D Simply beautiful! :)

Now, on to the meat of this reply. We really, really need to hear more about this latest lathe acquisition!!! :D :D Come on...Come clean. Whadya' get??? What turning tools do you already have and, most importantly, when are we going to see some of your turned work????:confused: :) :cool:

Jim DeLaney
04-18-2006, 9:26 AM
Man, that's some nice work! I love the figure in that cherry. Great stuff!

Donnie Raines
04-18-2006, 9:44 AM
Donnie, you out-did yourself, doooooood!!!! :D Man, I'd be happy to get one of those done in the 6 weeks it took you to do all of them! Excellent detail on all the units and we'd expect nothing but the best looking wood on your projects! :D Simply beautiful! :)

Now, on to the meat of this reply. We really, really need to hear more about this latest lathe acquisition!!! :D :D Come on...Come clean. Whadya' get??? What turning tools do you already have and, most importantly, when are we going to see some of your turned work????:confused: :) :cool:

Thank you berry mooch.:cool:

As for the lathe.....nothing fancy at all. I bought the Jet mini with the digital stuff and the bed extension kit. The lathe came with a Nova chuck as well. I bought a full set of Crown turning tools. Here is my first turning:

Petty fancy huh?

Jason Tuinstra
04-18-2006, 9:55 AM
Donnie, very nice collection of all things Shaker! They turned out great. We can always count on you to produce the good stuff with some fantastic wood. Great post. Very inspiring.

Reg Mitchell
04-18-2006, 10:48 AM
Hi Donnie,
Some very nice pieces and love the cherry. Where did you get it.
I love Shaker, Arts and Crafts things. :D

Donnie Raines
04-18-2006, 10:49 AM
Hi Donnie,
Some very nice pieces and love the cherry. Where did you get it.
I love Shaker, Arts and Crafts things. :D

Bought the log a few months back. I have a few more just waiting to be used. Ones is being dried as we speak.;)

Tim Barker
04-18-2006, 11:30 AM
Nice work Donnie! I like the way you used plain wood to highlight the figured wood. I've seen pieces where all the wood was highly figured and it didn't work, too busy, kind of like wearing plaid pants with a tie-dyed shirt.

Tim

Donnie Raines
04-18-2006, 11:32 AM
You saying I should'nt wear this tie?:eek: :D

Martin Lutz
04-18-2006, 11:33 AM
Donnie, I love your work. Great use of your talents and great use of the cherry. Beautiful.

Von Bickley
04-18-2006, 3:21 PM
Donnie,
Beautiful wood and furniture...;)