PDA

View Full Version : Workbench

Alan East
04-17-2006, 8:56 AM
I've been working for the last couple of months to get my basement in condition to put in a few tools so I could set up a hobbyist's shop. After clearing about 30 years of accumulated "I'll do something with that later" debris I finally uncovered my workbench. Actually I was told it was my grandfathers. He was a carpenter in the Ardmore area in the 1910 - 1930s I wonder how old it really is. There is a metal tag on the top - back side by the tool sump that is engraved: Charles J. Fields Sons
Builders Hardware
Carpenters Machinists Railroad Contractors
638 Market St Philadelphia Pa
The bench is about 27 x 77. I can't tell what kind of wood but the top is lightweight. It appears to be assembled with threaded rod. The bench dogs and clamp are steel.
will post more pictures later

Jason Tuinstra
04-17-2006, 9:08 AM
Alan, that's quite an honor to be able to have your grandfathers workbench! I'm sure it would have quite the story to tell if it could. Enjoy setting up your shop.

scott spencer
04-17-2006, 9:19 AM
Aside from being a really cool old bench, the part it being your Grandfather's is priceless. Have fun with that!

Mark Pruitt
04-17-2006, 9:37 AM
I've been working for the last couple of months to get my basement in condition to put in a few tools so I could set up a hobbyist's shop. After clearing about 30 years of accumulated "I'll do something with that later" debris I finally uncovered my workbench. Actually I was told it was my grandfathers. He was a carpenter in the Ardmore area in the 1910 - 1930s I wonder how old it really is. There is a metal tag on the top - back side by the tool sump that is engraved: Charles J. Fields Sons
Builders Hardware
Carpenters Machinists Railroad Contractors
638 Market St Philadelphia Pa
The bench is about 27 x 77. I can't tell what kind of wood but the top is lightweight. It appears to be assembled with threaded rod. The bench dogs and clamp are steel.
will post more pictures later

What a great treasure to have! Enjoy!!!

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
04-17-2006, 10:07 AM
With some serious elbow grease, you will have one fine bench, and a great story too!

Cheers!

Frank Pellow
04-17-2006, 2:10 PM
Congratulations! I am jealous, because I would love to have my grandfather's workbench in my shop.

I can still picture the bench, not unlike yours, and "Dad-Dad" working on it in his shop. What happy memories you have brought back to me!

Bob Noles
04-17-2006, 2:15 PM
Alan,

Ya know..... I wouldn't even clean it..... just start using it.

That thing has more character about it than the combined membership of SMC and that is a lot :cool:

WOW... what a wonderful piece and you are one lucky person.