PDA

View Full Version : Using and buying a tap and die

Kevin Johnson
04-16-2006, 11:49 PM
I need to make sub-base for my laminate trimmer. I have some leftover 1/2" acrylic on hand that I will use. I want to attach my PC Edge guide to the acrylic. I want to drill 2 holes in the acrylic to accomodate the 2 pins that are on the PC edge guide. I then want to be able to use 2 set screws that would screw into the acrylic perpendicular to the pins. The screws will hold the edge guide to the sub base.

I have never used a tap and die set, but I imagine that is what I need to machine threads in the acrylic for the set screws. So my question is, how do I know which set to buy? I saw a set from Grizzly for $39 and saw a set at Sears for $79, but don't know how to tell if it will make the threads for the screw I want to use. I have a screw around here that came in a package that said it was a 8-32. I think that size screw would do the trick.

Also, when using it will I just drill a hole first on my drill press, and then use the set to thread the hole? Thanks

Mark Rios
04-17-2006, 12:06 AM
Kevin, Tap and Die sets are kinda like drill bit sets; you can get minimal sets with a few common sizes and you can get larger sets with a whole bunch of sizes. Look at the sizes in the sets and see if what is in there is what you might need now and in the future. You can get metric and american sizes.

I've drilled holes to be tapped with a regular hand held electric drill but to be sure of your hole being perpendicular the drill press will help you. Play around with the set and get comfortable with it before you do the real thing and you'll be an ace.

You'll be making wooden nuts and bolts in no time. :D :D :D

Joe Chritz
04-17-2006, 12:06 AM
If you are going to use an 8-32 screw you need to make sure that tap is in the set.

Yes you just drill a hole first, although the hole is a set size based on the size of the tap.

Both of my sets have the correct drill with each tap in the set.

Another place the check is enco. I buy tooling from them regularly.

Check these http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INSRAR2&PMAKA=326-1676&PMPXNO=12387885

Be sure to use some lube if you are threading anything but acrylic and turn the tap about 1/4 -1/2 turn then back it up a bit to break the chip.

Joe

Howard Acheson
04-17-2006, 12:20 AM
No need to buy a whole set if you only need one tap. You can buy taps separately. Just be sure what size you need that matches your set screws.

Go to an automotive supply store or real hardware store. They will have taps in most machine screw sizes.

fRED mCnEILL
04-17-2006, 1:45 AM
Just buy the tap and the corresponidng drill for that tap. You might also buy the handle although the end of the tap has a square end so you could use a small wrench to turn it. Also you could chuck the tap in your drill press and turn it by hand. Acylic is fairly soft and the tap small so it would be easy to turn by hand. This way also makes it easy to start the tap squarely. Use some lubricant and turn it 1/2 turn or so, then back 1/4 turn then proceed again. Should be faily easy.

Hoa Dinh
04-17-2006, 1:51 AM
My local Orchard Supply Hardware sells kits that include one tap and one matching drill bit, about $5. You don't need to buy the whole kit of different taps and dice.

John Mihich
04-17-2006, 3:53 AM
I'm on the other side of the fence when buying sets for tap/dies. My wife bought me a set from HF about a year ago and I have used several different taps since then. The set was cheap, less then $20 and they have worked just fine.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
04-17-2006, 6:40 AM
I've got a cheap set, cause the diff between the cheap set ($25) and the good set ($250) was kind of steep. I'd love to get a really good set at some point, they are better, but for most of the stuff I do, that cheap set has worked great.

I'd buy the cheap set (making sure the size tap you need is in it) and once you do, you will never look a hole in anything the same, you will think "I could tap that hole and put a bolt in it......." :D

I don't usually recomend buying cheap tools, but this is one time when I will.

Cheers!

Matt Meiser
04-17-2006, 7:38 AM
I've got two cheap sets. One covers the basic standard sizes and came from sears. One is a little bigger, covers metric sizes and came from Harbor Freight. I've had both for a long time, but I'm thinking they were each $25 or less. Both have worked well for occasional use cleaing up threads and cutting threads in cast iron or aluminum. The would certainly be fine in acrylic.

Kyle Kraft
04-17-2006, 7:55 AM
Look for the designation HSS. This stands for High Speed Steel, which is a type of tool steel used to make quality taps, dies, drills, lathe tools, and a plethora of other cutting tools. Stay away from "High Carbon" steel which is a misleading term for the uninformed (see air compressor ratings:) ). While it is true that HSS has a high carbon content, it has other alloying elements which enable it to hold an edge longer, and give the tool strength.

Also, a two flute tap is stronger than a four flute tap. A spiral point tap forces the chips to the bottom of the hole and does not require the 1/2 turn forward, 1/4 turn back action. Spiral point taps are commonly used for power tapping in machining operations, and are usually not carried by hardware store.

Kevin Johnson
04-17-2006, 9:08 PM
Just wanted to say thanks to all that replied. I took the advice of those who said to get a single tap and was able to pick one up at HD. It included a drill bit which was good for me because I wasn't sure of the size to use my first time. I will probably get a set some time in the future. Once again, thanks