PDA

View Full Version : Old Geezers Goblet Contest Voting #4

John Hart
04-16-2006, 11:44 PM
Here is the fourth of the "Geezer Goblet Contest" Voting Threads. I had to divide all the entries into 5 threads because there are so many entries. You may vote for as many entries as you like over these five threads, but we recommend that you only vote for 10 to 15. This Poll will close in 2 days, at which time, we will take the Top Ten for a Final Heat on Wednesday, 4-29-06.

This is a "Peoples Choice" Contest so all members of SMC are encouraged to vote. Join the Fun!!:)

Please give me a chance to get all entries posted. This may take a few minutes.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

John Hart
04-16-2006, 11:46 PM
This is more a cup than a goblet. It's Catalpa wood, 4 1/2" tall and 3 1/2" at the widest point. Finished with BLO and CA glue outside, lacquer inside

John Hart
04-16-2006, 11:47 PM
I've always wanted to learn to make captive rings so I've been practicing with a new tool I made for parting them off. This is Zebrawood with two captive rings, interlocked. 6.75" x 1.75"

John Hart
04-16-2006, 11:48 PM
After the ' glow in the dark ' goblet, I deleted all my pics and tried again. One cedar and one maple. Both thinner [ the cup] than I normally turn. Probably 1/8 thickest . Fun, I like these contests, no rules, prizes or disappointments.....Everybody wins........

John Hart
04-16-2006, 11:48 PM
No sanding, no finish....6" High, 2.75" in diameter and got the wall thickness down to .089.

John Hart
04-16-2006, 11:49 PM
OK, it looks like I made the deadline, just barely. My entry for the old geezers, and boy do I feel and look like one . This one is Walnut about 2" tall and 1" dia. Thanks Guys.

John Hart
04-16-2006, 11:49 PM
Okay folks........I've been practicing for this and I wanted to try a new finish ..........and try finishing some cherry. I showed the LOML this and she why aren't you entering it.........I said .......it's just a trial run....an experiment..........SWMBO said "enter it"..........Well one of the few rules was multiple entries allowed........so here it is............cherry goblet..sides of the cup portion 0.180" thick ...finished with BLO and friction polish ....buffed with the beal buffing system. A bunch of firsts on this including my first friction chuck

John Hart
04-16-2006, 11:50 PM
4.5"x3", bone-dry redwood

John Hart
04-16-2006, 11:51 PM
Here is the second entry that I will make. The piece is made of Elm and is 6 1/2 inches tall. The goblet is 2 1/2 half inches wide at the mouth and the stem is about 3/16 inches wide at the bottom of the goblet. As you can probably guess this one got whiplash before it was done also. It is finished with sanding sealer right now and I will wait a couple of days before I put the finish on it

John Hart
04-16-2006, 11:51 PM
The inside of the ring is a little rough, but I'm happy with it, the kids think it is cool, so there you go..<O:p</O:p
The wood is Beech, a glue up of two pieces, sanded to #240, waxed and polished, it is about 5" tall.

John Hart
04-17-2006, 7:46 AM
Bumping these up for the Monday Morning Rush. :)

John Hart
04-18-2006, 7:21 AM
I'm going to bump this up again...This is the last day of voting and we want everyone who wants to participate, to get a chance. The poll closes at midnight and then we'll have the finals tomorrow.:)