PDA

View Full Version : Old Geezers Goblet Contest Voting #3

John Hart
04-16-2006, 11:32 PM
Here is the third of the "Geezer Goblet Contest" Voting Threads. I had to divide all the entries into 5 threads because there are so many entries. You may vote for as many entries as you like over these five threads, but we recommend that you only vote for 10 to 15. This Poll will close in 2 days, at which time, we will take the Top Ten for a Final Heat on Wednesday, 4-29-06.

This is a "Peoples Choice" Contest so all members of SMC are encouraged to vote. Join the Fun!!:)

Please give me a chance to get all entries posted. This may take a few minutes.

John Hart
04-16-2006, 11:35 PM
Okay, this is NOT my entry, but thought I'd post a practice "goblet" to give you all a chuckle and make Curt's apple one look even better......No finish, no sanding, just raw canarywood

John Hart
04-16-2006, 11:36 PM
Well here is my entry into Mr. Fitzgerald/Hart goblet contest. Or should it be Old Geezer/Horsey Hart contest. It is ash and walnut. Came out pretty good for my first one ever

John Hart
04-16-2006, 11:37 PM
This isn't exactly a goblet but it serves the same purpose without so many refills. Not new either…. I think it holds about a quart

John Hart
04-16-2006, 11:37 PM
Decided the time had come to try my hand at a goblet. The first thing I needed was some wood. I spotted this beauty next to the road on my way home from the dump.<O:p</O:p
I figured it was spalted but didn't realize it was buggy or wormy or something. I did manage to split it in quarters using a maul and turned half of a piece into a globlet. It's 7" tall and 2.75" in diameter. The stem is just under 3/8". I through some BLO on it to finish

John Hart
04-16-2006, 11:38 PM
I never posted hear before, i was always just a looker. but hears my goblets i'm a new turner and these are my first try at some golbets last weekend there made from some 2x4s i riped into 2x2 and then turned and finshed with fiction polish

John Hart
04-16-2006, 11:39 PM
Here's a walnut goblet made from a scrap of walnut from a peepermill blank. Does 64 qualify as an old geezer?

John Hart
04-16-2006, 11:40 PM
As you can see the height is about 4 3/4 inshes tall and the cup is about 1 inch wide. The stem is just less than 1/8 inches wide at the base of the cup. It is made of apple and just has a sanding sealer on it now. I hope you like it, if not please tell me what you don'tlike so I can improve on the next one. This one got a bit scarry toward the last because the cup started to flex and I did not think that I was going to get it finished before it broke

John Hart
04-16-2006, 11:41 PM
Well. I might as well post this, if only to make the rest of you look REALLY good ! I have now done 2 bonkers, some pens, and a goblet (if you can call it that). 3 pieces of 4/4 maple glued up with tung oil finish. I did learn a lot from trying this though. It is time for something to sharpen my tools, some tools, and wood. Other than that I have it all under control.<O:p</O:p

John Hart
04-16-2006, 11:42 PM
I posted this a while ago, it was my first cup and second turning, <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City><st1:place>norfolk</st1:place></st1:City> pine. I don't have it (gifted it off) but I think it was around 6"Tall and maybe 3" wide, pretty thin, you could see light at the lower parts of the walls., these are pretty rough though.

John Hart
04-17-2006, 7:45 AM
Bumping these up for the Monday Morning Rush. :)

John Hart
04-18-2006, 7:20 AM
I'm going to bump this up again...This is the last day of voting and we want everyone who wants to participate, to get a chance. The poll closes at midnight and then we'll have the finals tomorrow.:)